Sneak Preview of Whole House Fire Alarm System

Dont worry, your fine.

If we did not want anyone to reply the topic would be locked.

You did lock it :slight_smile:

I unlocked it after my reply. I typically try to not give my self the last word :slight_smile:

Constructive criticism is meant to be positive, yet a lot of people take it negatively.

We’re giving you feedback, you asked for feedback. Don’t take it harshly, take it as ways to improve. :slight_smile:

Kaptainkurk, my advice is to have fun with the hobby in a safe way and don’t care so much about how people will respond. Although I wish we could all be a bit friendlier sometimes, everything that has been said is absolutely right. All I have to add is don’t feel like you need to put up a gigantic system just to make videos and gain approval. Likewise, don’t take a system down just because no one likes it. Put up a reasonable, easy to maintain demo system that you’ll be happy with for yourself first, and then make videos if you don’t mind sharing. Take the system down not just because people want you to, but because you realize that it presents dangers and make the mature decision.

At least for me, the initial urge to make videos of a cool and complex system has passed. I’ve run out of ideas to keep it interesting, and frankly I’m too lazy to make regular videos like I used to. I just try to enjoy having a collection that I’m proud of and some panels to power up and mess around with when I feel like it. I got into this hobby for no other reason but to entertain myself, and I think that’s really what it’s about. Don’t let others ruin it for you.

It should be removed for the reasons mentioned in my prior post. He fails to realize any of the dangers and even rebutted them.

I could give two shits if it entertains him or he dreams about it at night.

I am also very tired of repeating what is spread all over this site.

DON’T do the work unless you are qualified or licenced!

This stuff is not toys. If you chose to treat it as such do so responsibly. Unlike this OP.

As stated earlier this OP has already had a fire in his closet. Why? Because he failed to posses some pretty general knowlege. That alone should tell anyone who replies AND the OP him self to SLOW DOWN and to take a step back.

Frankly we should not be encouraging this.

What should a forum about fire alarm hobbyism be encouraging then? Star Wars purism?

Really? Not encouraging people to install dangerous fire hazards on the wall is a problem?

You really want a list?

The big one is oh i dont know COLLECTING?
Trading and selling
Discussing real rare finds and things you actually wont see anywhere else
Discuss the technology
Discuss how alarms differ from years ago vs today
Discuss how alarms differ in other countries
Discuss how alarms operate and whats inside them
Share collections

DON’T install alarms in your house without a licensee and on top of that do poor work and not to get flack here.

Let me make it clear for the millionth time. Fire alarms are NOT toys. If you chose to treat them as such you should be extremly carefull. A PLAY system should be installed on a board and plugged in. It should not extend past said board and never be hardwired. Techically the board should not even be attached to the wall. Going outside of those recommendations makes it a fixture. It has to comply with local codes and in many cases only be installed by someone with a certification or license. Why? Because if that system is to cause or lead to a problem it can mean to many things. Like what? Loss of home insurance coverage and in an extreme situation loss of a mortgage which would cause you to pay for a home you can’t even live in because of fire damage.

I have NEVER not encouraged experimenting with the stuff and educating one self and improving skills. I would suggest talking to Andrew, Samson and any number of members who have come to me for help. They will tell you I will go above and beyond what any other person has EVER done here to help them. As long as they play safe.