SOLVED: Smoke Detector Not Activating

Alright, so about an hour ago, I pulled out my camera and started a video of my fire alarm system since today is my birthday.

Everything was going well until I brought out the can of smoke and tried to test my smoke detector. After a few sprays, nothing happened. I doubled checked all of my connections and rewired the base, still nothing. All my connections are good, because the panel goes into trouble when I take the head off the base, and the trouble goes away when I put it back on. Since I have 3 of the same detectors, I swapped out different heads and bases, still nothing.

I then disconnected the detector from zone 2 and replaced it with a pull station. The system went right into alarm as usual when I pulled it, so I know the zone isn’t fried.

I double-checked all of the programming options, and I verified zone 2 was still set on “fire monitor”.

So what confuses me is that all 3 detectors were working well the last time I tested them. I let the system sit for a few weeks without activating it, and now it doesn’t work. Any help would greatly be appreciated. My panel is a Simplex 4004, and the detectors are Cerberus Pyrotronics PE-3’s, with DB-3S bases. Thanks in advance!

We had this discussion a while back and I warned you to check the 2-wire Compatibility document from Simplex to make sure the smoke detector is compatible with the 4004…

<URL url="Wiring a Cerberus Smoke Detector text=“viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6174”>Wiring a Cerberus Smoke Detector
You obviously ignored my warning. I bet the smokes no longer work because the Simplex panel is powering them in a way they were not meant to be powered. Also, don’t the detectors say “MAX VOLTS 9.5” on the back?

However before I jump to conclusions…

1. Did you stick a meter on the zone and verify that 24 volts is coming out?
  2. Did you try the detectors on a different zone?
  3. Are you sure the detection chambers are not clogged? You mentioned in your other post that you were using Axe.

Well, I did do that, but I couldn’t find anything, so I kind of forgot about it. Yes, they do say that, but another user told me that those are the sensitivity voltages, and not the voltage the detector takes.

I have not tried a meter yet, but that is a good idea. I will try a different zone as well. I did clog one of the detectors when I used Axe, but I threw that one out because it stopped working. I’ve been using SimplexGrinnell Dry Smoke now.

In addition, the other two detectors I only wired up once. I have had the third one hooked up for a few months now with no issues.

I’ll try a meter and a different zone and get back to you in a while…

Thanks for the help, but I think the smokes are done. I have pulls wired up right now into both zones, and it’s working good. Hey, it’s a lesson learned, and at least I got them for free. I guess I should be lucky I didn’t fry the panel…