Storage Of Fire Alarms - Advice

Not sure if this is the place to post this. But as of recently I noticed I have a fair bit of alarms collecting up around my house, particularly my basement. I want to start moving things out and into a storage unit. But I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with storing alarms in a commercial storage unit? If it was expensive, any issues, or things to look out for, etc.

Also if there are any alternatives to a commercial storage place. I just need to eventually get them all out of my basement.

Hi EdwardsFan. I actually have a good bit of experience with storing fire alarm equipment in a storage lockers, as that is where the vast majority of my collection (mostly the bulkier equipment like my larger control panels) have been residing. I’ve had my locker for almost two years. Mine is a small 5x10, and runs me about $50 a month. It is not climate controlled (standard outdoor unit), but I have never ran into issues with humidity or temperature damaging anything. Of course, a decision on a climate controlled vs. non-climate controlled unit depends on your location as well. If you live in a region with high humidity or harsh temperatures (extremely heat or cold), I would advise getting a climate controlled unit. Where I am it does not get ridiculously hot or cold, and the humidity isn’t horrible either (which is why I haven’t had issues with my outdoor unit).

Regardless of the type of unit, a few pieces of advice I have for storing your equipment is to box it up very well (with packing materials to keep it safe) and to organize it by type. I have most of my devices in boxes organized by brand and type. As far as larger panels go, in order to prevent them from becoming scratched up, I would place unfolded cardboard boxes underneath of them to prevent scratching from the concrete flooring when you move them around. Smaller panels that fit in boxes could be boxed up. I probably go overboard with the way I store and organize my things, but I try to keep all of my things in mint condition.

Regarding cost, the cost to rent a unit depends on where you live and the size of the unit. I’m not sure how large your collection is and what size unit you would need, but most standard outdoor 5x10 or 10x10 units (at least where I am) are $80 or less per month. If you go upwards in size, you would probably be at $100 + per month. Of course, if you are looking for an indoor climate controlled (AC/Heated) unit like a U-Haul, those will cost slightly more. Best thing to do is find storage facilities close to where you live and view their websites, most have their rates for the different size lockers listed.

If you have any more questions feel free to reach out, I am happy to help.