Stores with both sprinklers and smokes.

Anyone been to one? There’s is one near my area.

Yes, it’s really not all that unusual.

This is a rather common setup in some malls I have been to. Some malls will have a few stores with a mix of both smokes and sprinklers while other stores are just sprinklerized, but the South Shore Plaza in Braintree, MA has a mix of sprinklers and smoke detectors in nearly EVERY store, even in the new Target they opened last year! (Simplex 4100U voice-evac system.) The Target in Stoughton, MA also has a mix of smoke detectors and sprinklers (Fire-Lite addressable system, I didn’t see the panel though). Also, the Lowe’s home improvement store I used to work at had mostly sprinklers, but the back area where the offices and employees-only areas are located, they have Silent Knight-branded Hochiki smoke detectors.

It’s pretty common… everywhere.

The JCPenney at my area for the most part only has sprinklers, but has a smoke detector near the elevator.

I think that is a requirement, there needs to be a smoke detector in front of an elevator, which is required to be interfaced with the elevator to return it to the ground floor and lock it out. I seen that in a lot of buildings, the only smoke detectors I see are in front of elevators. Sometimes I see no smoke detectors at all in the building except there are 2 smoke detectors in front of the elevator at each floor.

If you see two smokes that ususally means the recall smoke may be independent from the rest of the FA system.

The Publix in my area mostly has just sprinklers, but has a smoke detector in the restroom along with a sprinkler.

I thought that sprinklers would make smoke detectors unnecessary. Is there an advantage to a building having both sprinklers and smoke detectors?

I thought that sprinklers would make smoke detectors unnecessary. Is there an advantage to a building having both sprinklers and smoke detectors, as opposed to having just sprinklers?

Sprinklers react to heat, not smoke. Smoke kills. Makes sense to have both.