Student refuses fire drill

Here is a discussion that says that there was a student who refused to participate in a fire drill.

I know in elementary school, refusing to participate in a fire drill would be the last thing on my mind. I’d want to get away from that loud scary fire alarm.

I remember in elementary school they had a punishment for this sort of thing and it was quite harsh. You’d be forced to sit on the bench in the main lobby during the next fire drill and you couldn’t move because someone would be watching you from the office where the FACP is.

Details: Because of morning and afternoon kindergarten, we actually had two fire drills in the same day, one for each kindergarten class.

What’s so bad about that? There’s an alarm directly above the bench. A Simplex 2903+2901-9806…

At least you knew it was coming. If you weren’t allowed to cover your ears, then it would REALLY be horrible.

Seems stupid not to be allowed to cover your ears. Ear protection is important. It would be very stupid to have it be a punishable action.

How can a student refuse a fire drill that effects everyone else on the school site?

Based on the post, he was being a, uh, “disobedient wretch,” because the teacher told him to sit down.

Here’s what it says:

[quote] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had a fire drill today. One of my students just stayed in his seat and refused to line up and go out during the drill. We started out the door and the kids at the end came running up to tell me that ______ wouldn’t come out. I saw a para standing by the door, and asked her to supervise my class as they went out. I went back in to get him. I was furious! First I screamed at him to get out of his chair and get out the door. He did. After we got outside, I explained to him that we would both be in danger if it had been a real fire, and if any of the kids had hung back to try to get him to come back, they would have been in danger too. And why didn’t he come? Because he had been sent back to his seat for talking too loud during center activities/reading groups. He was pouting.
In 20 years of teaching, I’ve never had a kid refuse to do a fire drill before.
[/quote]

So because he was pissed off, he decided that he would be rather off dead then going out with everybody? I don’t get that logic.

When you’re a kid and you hear the fire alarm, you’re not thinking “SHIKES! There might be a fire! Better GTFO!”
You’re thinking “I’m not following that stupid teacher’s orders to go outside. I have an alibi; she told me to stay in my seat!”