surprising alarm finds

I’m sure we’ve all had at least one surprising and at times unexpected alarm finds. I had one on Christmas at my wife’s aunt and uncle’s house (aunt and uncle-in-law?). This was my 1st time at their house and as soon as I walked up the driveway this caught my eye:
a 4051

Yes, it’s mounted just above the foundation. I asked her uncle what it was used for and he said it was from an old fire alarm system that was no longer hooked up. I think it’s been quite a while since it last sounded.

I also found this in their basement that her uncle pointed out to me also not hooked up: (there were First Alert SA300s upstairs and in the basement)
not sure of the model number (it is a simplex detector).

I didn’t see a panel, but there could have be one hiding (I’ll ask next time I see him). He told me I could have the 4051 and I’m going to see if I can snag the smoke as well but I’m not going to press him about either since he was a bit snippy with me when I joked with him “I’ll be back in the morning for the horn” as I was leaving (not the 1st time he’s been snippy with me).

What was your surprise find?

1 Like

Doesn’t this belong in <URL url="Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)]this topic[/url]; or am I mistaken?

We’ll keep this topic separate for unexpected/unusual places where users have found alarms.

Okay, thank for the clarification, Destin!

I hope this counts.

When I was in Louisville with sirensofcincinnati, we went to record a Federal Signal Modulator siren on test day. It was on top of a small building by the river. I didn’t expect the building to have a system, but it did. There were Simplex 4051(?)'s, 4251-20’s, and System Sensor 2100TS’s.

1 Like

One of my most surprising finds was a house in my nieghbourhood. I’ve probably walked by it plenty of times, and just recently I noticed there was 2 Edwards 6" Adaptabels mounted on the house’s soffits. There’s also an elementary school near me that has some very rare devices. They resembled a National Time and Signal 411F horn, but the grille had vertical bars.