Swaw something startling on TeenNick

Well, back in mid-July, TeenNick started re-airing some of the '90s Nick shows, including All that, Kenan & Kel, Doug, Clarissa Explains It All, and Hey Dude, on the 90s Are All That block starting at 10 PM EST Sat-Thurs. Just a few weeks ago, they started showing UPick with Stick (with Stick Stickly!), where they show even more old shows, Friday nights, also starting at 10. You can vote for which shows you want to see on UPick at 90sareallthat.com, where you can also watch some old shows.

Anyways, this past Friday the Rugrats were on. Now I watched all of these shows religiously when I was growing up in the '90s. However, in the Rugrats episode that was on (I forget what it was called), Tommy took off all of his clothes, including his diaper, and he told Phil and Lil to do the same, which they did. They even showed Tommy’s rear end!

I know that it’s just a cartoon, but I was still shocked that something like that would air on Nickelodeon. Maybe it was a banned episode? I was just kinda startled to see something like that on a children’s show. I mean I expect Ren and Stimpy to be violent, but the only nudity I’d expect from Rugrats would be them being changed.

It’s amazing all the stuff you don’t realize as a kid, and how the '90s was so different. I’m not being a prick or anything, but it’s just an observation. Do I just have my head stuck up my butt, or is that weird what I saw? Any thoughts?

Brandon

Oh man, I used to like Nickelodeon in the '90s. Hell, what you saw was nothing. That was when Nick was “hardcore”. lol, or at least as “bad” as it ever was. There was all sorts of stuff on Nickelodeon that would be deemed “vulgar” compared to the stupid crap on that network today. Seems everyone has gone soft.

Yeah very true. I guess I just didn’t realize at the time that it was inappropriate. I’m not complaining or anything like that - 90s Nick was the BEST! It just kinda took me by surprise. If anything would be deemed inappropriate today by anyone it would be Ren and Stimpy, That show was actually violent, but I still loved it. Nick simply isn’t the same anymore

My dad refused to let me and my brother watch Ren & Stimpy. It was never one of my favorite shows anyway. What was one of my favorites was Rocko’s Modern Life, which he also did not like us watching, but we often did anyway.

One of the shows I saw they were bringing back was Family Double Dare! I always loved the show, but due to my dislike of alarms at the time, I hated not knowing when the “game over” buzzer was going to sound. Of course nowadays, you have YouTube and I swear, every single episode of Double Dare ever taped (the original, Super Sloppy versions, and Family versions) is on there. Someone took advantage of taping then when Nick GaS was still in existance, and to be honest, I’m forever greatful. :smiley:

Even though I’m now in my 20s, those old shows were classics and I could probably watch them at any age! :mrgreen:

Double Dare is one of my faves too! Especially the Super Sloppy one. The Family version was on UPick with Stick last Friday. I was also caught off guard all the time by that end-of-round buzzer. It was a fairly startling noise, I will admit. That, Kenan and Kel and All That are my 3 all time fave classic Nick shows. I also loved Hey Dude, Doug, Ren and Stimpy and Salute Your Shorts (and when we think about you, IT MAKES ME WANNA FART!!!)

Today’s kids have NOOO IDEA what they missed out on.

Brandon

Oh yeah I also loved Wild & Crazy Kids

I used to like that show “Are you afraid of the dark”. I am very sad by the fact that it no longer airs. As for game shows, “Hidden Temple” was my favorite.

Ah yes, it’s great to see all those old classics again. “Clarissa Explains it All,” “Doug,” “Rocko’s Modern Life,” “Hey Arnold,” etc. I am pretty sad “Rugrats” no longer airs on any channel though, and I’m also happy I have the first two seasons of “Ren and Stimpy” on DVD (my parents didn’t allow me to watch it until I was 10 years old.)