Testing Carbon Monoxide detecors

I was just wondering, does anyone else try and test their CO detectors in a way other than the test button? I just hold mine up to my car exhaust and I get a reading of about 746 PPM within a few minutes. Does anyone else test theirs in a different way?

I don’t think that’s a good idea - that’s how alarms become less responsive…

Most people know that carbon monoxide is a tasteless and colorless gas that can easily sicken and possibly kill someone. Testing a CO detector like that should only be attempted using extreme caution, such as wearing a gas mask so that the fumes aren’t inhaled and in an area where the gas can easily escape high into the air.

They used to have test kits where you could put the CO unit in a bag, and there was a little vial of CO that you’d break open in the sealed bag.

How does it become less responsive? I haven’t heard of that before and I’m curious to know why

That sounds like an incredibly dangerous way of “testing” a carbon monoxide alarm.

There’s a reson why there’s a test button on it…

For once, we agree on something! 8)

Meh, too me the test button only shows that the test button works. I like to test it by actually making it detect what its designed to detect.

Hows it dangorous? I do it outside in a well ventilated area, so there is no risk of CO posining to me.

Not necessarily.

oh my … :frowning: I think you are destroying the sensor FACP 07…

This is what I have installed and use.

http://www.buy-detectagas.com/index.html

Wait, so both of these are bottled CO. I’m basically doing the same thing, aren’t I? Just without the can, so technically does that mean both ways it kills the sensor unit?

No. There is a lot more than carbon monoxide in car exhaust.

Ah, I see. How many PPM does the bottle contain?