Times when there was an actual fire at school /work

Wow! That’s interesting. Weird that they called a code red. I’m my school district it means “lockdown” How badly damaged was the building with the AC blow up?

1 Like

In our district (at the time) code blue was for lockdown, and code red was fire. There was very little damage, it contained it to the A/C, the alarm was triggered by the duct detectors when it blew the smoke through the hvac. The A/C was repaired, not like they use it anyway. The 2nd floor smelled like burning electrical for a few days.

2 Likes

In my elementary school code red was lockdown but in my 3rd grade year they changed it to be hard lockdown. For fire it was just the alarms. I am in high school now but everything still remains the same.

Same,
In my school district, We have Evacuation (Fire Alarm), Secure (Used to be Soft Lock-down,) (Students go inside of the building and teaching quietly resumes.) Lockdown (Used to be Hard Lockdown) , (Just what you would expect for a lock-down. ) We also have Drop, cover and hold and Shelter In Place, but I cannot explain those because we never had drills for them.

We also have Reverse Evacuation, Its for Lightning or Bee Swarms. It follows a protocol close to the soft lockdown.

1 Like

My school district codes:

Code red: Active shooter/hard lockdown
Code yellow: Shelter in place/soft lockdown
Code blue: medical emergency
Fire alarms: Fire
Reverse evacuation: everyone goes to the detached gym. Used for things like gas leak etc.
Drop, cover, hold on: Earthquake (we actually had our earthquake drill today.)

And that’s all I can think of at the moment.

1 Like

That’s cool!

Our School had a fire Drill 5th period, and I think one of the NS’es in the hallways was dying…

1 Like

my high school is full of so many code violations. most of them have to do with people putting googly eyes on all of the spaeaker strobes in the gym and missing smoke detectors and dusty or blocked sprinkelers

3 Likes

sooo there was another school emergancy tonight (end of the year lock-in for juniors just got home) and at the acedemic awards the alarms went off, as I was walking to the exit I noticed smoke coming from the boiler room turnes out the janitor left a task sheet to close to the boiler no fire tho just a crap to ofsmell. P.S. the lock was a 2 day event and today was the last day.

That could’ve gptten much worse if even the boiler room was missing its detectors. Hopefully they fixed up the system by the time something like that happened.

The school is missing many detectors but the ones in the boiler room are closley moniterd by the fire department after the boiler almost exploded 2 years ago but yeah that could have been bad

1 Like

there was a kid who passed out tho from a astma attack My BFF

Ok there is another fire story today but this happend at work. so I work at a local grocery store called price chopper (just hired) and today was quit the day, as a part of my job I have to bring in carts and as I was doing that today there was a car that was smoking and owner of the car was still inside on there phone I was running up to the car to let the dude know but befor I could do anything he relised tha his car was smoking, so I went into the store to tel my mannager andafterthat the fore dep showed up and it was this whole scene thankfully no injuries but the car was unsafe to drive and it sat there smelling like rotten eggs.

Adding to @MrFireAlarm

This very school had another smoke condition a few months past.

Today my school was evacuated due to a smoke investigation.
This is not the first time we have had an emergency: @MrFireAlarm also attends my middle school and has documented a few other incidents.

What Happened:
Around 8:16 AM, a staff member smelt a smoke odor inside of the main building. The school was evacuated by using the Dukane Intercom rather than the Fire Alarm System. Since it was before school had started, everyone was moved to the soccer fields and just grouped around there. A Few Minutes later a Fire Engine arrived along with School Safety Officers. The Firefighters entered the school and searched the building. After about 30 minutes, they exited the school, and drove the East Parking Lot where they went on the roof for another 20 minutes. My districts Emergency Management Officer and Fire Safety team responded to further investigate.

My POV:
While chatting with a staff member in the Courtyard, I heard over the Kenwood two way radios that a staff member needed to evacuate the school. Once the announcement came over the PA, I evacuated to the field, as I was walking out to the field, I heard sirens and watched as Engine 7 pulled into the West Parking lot followed by multiple school safety officers. We all remained outside for almost an hour before the all clear was given

Responding Departments: Tucson Fire, TUSD School Safety, TUSD Fire Safety, TUSD Emergency Management.

Was a little disappointed they didn’t activate the fire alarms.

(The sound of fire alarms sounding as sirens in the distance and fire trucks pulling into the school is a normal occurance now.)

2 Likes

yeah thats my elementary school was like exept the alarm system was old and malfunctioned a lot

AC unit caused the issue, this is the second time this vary unit has caused an issue.

2 Likes

It was idiots for us and a crappy panel

Did they get it replaced after it was smoking again?

No, the unit is still in service and probably will be until it can’t be repaired.

Wow I would have it replaced after the second time

The elementary school that I went to had Simplex 2801-9838 horns on 4903-9105 strobe plates. The panel was a Simplex 4007es. (I’m assuming the original panel was a 4002) In second grade, I was in my classroom doing school work and my principal was also in my classroom talking with my teacher. Coincidentally, the fire alarm went off while he was in my classroom. It was obviously not a drill because he was in our classroom. He immediately ran out the door and down the hallway towards the office. We all went outside and were out there for about 2 hours before the fire department got everything taken care of and let us back in. When we got back in, there was a very bad smell. It turns out that something started smoking and sparking in an IT closet in the library. Luckily, there was a smoke detector in that closet that tripped and set off the alarm. Despite what people say about modern Simplex, I don’t remember that system ever being in trouble and it never had any false alarms during my time there other than a student pulling the fire alarm after school one time.

This next story was at my current school which has a Simplex 4100u voice evac system that was original to the building. I was not here when this happened but was told by several people who saw it happen.

Apparently, there was volleyball practice after school in the gym. I guess some girls were trying to make microwave popcorn in the teacher’s lounge when the microwave started on fire. There were still some students in the cafeteria waiting for their buses as well. Everyone got evacuated and the fire department came to handle the situation.

This system never had any false alarms my first year there but my second year they started a cooking class and there are smoke detectors in a storage closet that always has the door open to that room as well as directly outside that room so false alarms are now pretty frequent.