Upcoming Fire Alarm Replacement

I have briefly talked about my schools fire alarm system on here, therefore it is a bitter sweet announcement with this next round of construction, the entire system is going to be replaced. If you have heard about my schools system, you know that is an absolute programming nightmare with all the different features and panels they use, not to mention the different types of devices. The new system is definitely needed and I’m excited for it to be installed.

BUILDING A (the main building that houses most classes): A Notifier N16X panel will serve this building with 10 loops of initiating devices (this is a change to the original post. The current system has an excessive amount of devices, especially smoke detectors, that will be reduced requiring less loops. In addition, as opposed to having one loop per “area” of the building, the 16 “areas” will now be zoned via isolation modules). Notifier 951 multicriteria smoke detectors will be the main sensors on the system located in every part of the building. With the new system, there will not be a single room without a sensor. Restrooms, science rooms, kitchens, and workshop areas will be equipped with rate of rise 951 heat detectors in lieu of a smoke sensor. Gymnasiums will utilize Notifier FS-OSI-RI beam detectors. There is a portion of the building with a VESDA system and that system will be left alone but monitored by the new system. DNR series duct detectors will be utilized throughout the HVAC system. These devices will trigger a full alarm, shut down the entire building’s HVAC, and close all fire dampers within the HVAC system (this shutdown of all HVAC and closing of fire dampers will happen on any alarm however, I do not know why). Notifier NBG-12LX’s will be utilized in every office, and in a few key portions of the building, but automatic detection and sprinkler will be the main activation for the system in most areas. The auditorium area has vents that open if a stage smoke detector goes off and automatic dropping of the fire curtain.
LED L series speaker strobes and speakers will be what most of the building utilizes. Many areas will have ceiling mount, but there will also be wall mount. Wheelock cluster speakers and bull horn speakers will be utilized in louder environment spaces in conjunction with System Sensor LED strobes. With this system, if a singular spot SMOKE detector is activated, it will trigger a positive alarm sequence. During the investigation period, all auxiliary functions such as door drop and HVAC shutdown will occur, however instead of evacuation messages being played, a standby message will occur. If a second alarm goes off or if the initial device is something other than a spot smoke detector, an evacuation warning will be broadcast immediately.

BUILDING B (two floors of classrooms and an alternative high school in the basement): this building will have all the same devices except the panel will be an N16E serving 3 loops. This building is older so there will be no positive alarm sequence and pull stations will be provided throughout.
BUILDING C (the aquatics building): this buildings system will not be replaced as it is still very new from 2015. Same goes for the on-site stadium.

The ability to broadcast emergency messages from building to building will exist and each building will have a button/pull station to lockdown the entire campus, evacuate all buildings, and shelter all buildings.
Every entrance will have a P2RK right outside and every single parking lot will have Wheelock STR speakers throughout to allow for emergency broadcasting. These speakers will also be placed next to main entrances in lieu of a horn strobe to provide better instruction for any guests that may be trying to enter the building. The system will allow for fire, tornado, and active shooter warnings.
A popular question was how drills occur: currently, an announcement is made 15 seconds prior, and the alarm is sounded in all buildings from a pull station. With the new system, each building will not alarm the other, so to make drills easier, a drill button will be provided and used. To be up to code, this button will be programmed to initiate an alarm on each system, and perform all auxiliary functions, but the message will be a ‘drill’ message to enforce that the alarm was planned. As I previously stated, I will update this if any changes occur.

2 Likes

Cool to see that the NOTIFIER INSPIRE series of panels are being used in some new buildings, as I have searched, and there are not that many videos of the panel in action. Also cool to see the new L-Series LED devices being put in. Do you think that the speaker/strobes will say “FIRE” or “ALERT”, because you said the system could be used for fire tornado and active shooter alerts. Please keep us updated, and share some pictures of the devices!

2 Likes

I will say is that I prefer the current system with the mixed devices. Unhappy with LED L-Series speaker strobes (unless they are ceiling mount) since those are actual eye sours imo. I guess get the devices.

Will definitely keep posted. There is one bid with blank devices and one with seperate amber, blue, and clear strobes.

I do agree that the new L-Series look kinda ugly (with the exception of ceiling mount), but it is good to see because of lower current draw, so more devices per NAC

would be cool to see different colored LED strobes

one of the first buildings to have led l series

what is the current panel?

Even then, there’s the Eluxas which are better looking devices IMO. The lower current draw and the test ports are the only good things I can say about the LED L-Series.

The devices are to be unmarked I believe.