What alarm do you have at work/school

Here are some fire alarm pics from the Raymond Elementary School, where some of my friends went.

NOTE: These pics were NOT taken at the Davis K-8 school. This is an identical elementary school with the same floorplan and an identical alarm system built in my town at the same time as the Davis school was. Davis school alarm pics go in my “Fire alarm pics from my elementary school!” thread…

<URL url="Fire alarm pics from my elementary school! (Updated 9/15!)

With that said, on with the pics of West Springfield Elementary, uh, I mean the Raymond school’s fire alarms…

As expected, the signals are Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 light plates. But what’s the main difference? The 4051s are installed as if they were flush-mounted! Not so at the Davis. Pull stations are, as usual, Simplex 4251-30s. For those wondering, yes, they have the same bells as the Davis school does (the bells are behind those gray grilles).
BTW, at the Davis, that same area is where the 4051 on two backboxes on the 4050-80 is located!

The outdoor school bells are the same kind too, the 10-inch Simplex bells behind grilles…

But one of them is actually a 10-inch Edwards Adaptabel! I assume it replaced a Simplex bell that died (at the Davis, that area has NO bell!)

The outdoor Gamewell city master box. Identical to the Davis school’s version, but at least this one still has the number plate intact!

The Simplex graphic annunciator in the main lobby. Note that it and the alarm are positioned closer to the pull station and school bell, while the Davis places them further apart from each other in that lobby. The 4251-30 is still intact there too, while the Davis has replaced the one there with a 2099-9103 pull. I’m also sure the Raymond has a Simplex 2001 panel too, give the annunciator style and the presence of the 2098-9806 test stations, but the main difference is that the Raymond’s system does Continuous (as I’ve been told), while the Davis does Slow March Time (maybe the installers decided to put a March Time card in the 2001 panel at the Davis when installing the panel in the 1980s to make it more unique than the Raymond).

This 4251-30 has the break-glass part completely missing, and the pegs to hold the frame have been broken off too! Maybe the alarm was pulled at one point, and rather than go to the trouble of replacing the glass, they just got rid of it and converted it to a single-action pull station (at first I thought it was a 4251-20 until I got a closer look!)

When I previously saw this system last year, quite a few of the 4251-30s were missing the glass, but many of those, including the one pictured here, had new glass put in. It says “BREAK GLASS” on it like on the 2099 and 4099 break-glass pulls, so that is what made me realize the glass is replacement, 4251-30s had it reading “BREAK GLASS PULL HANDLE DOWN.” So far I did not see any newer pulls here, or any newer/replacement alarms.

Pretty interesting, huh?

1 Like