What alarm do you have at work/school

Not that I recall, one of the dorms I looked at had rebranded ZNS strobes in each room along with the sounders though.

My school does not allow phones during school hours but we have an ma 9200 idols adressable fire alarm control panel,for the pull stations we have firelite bg-12lxs. And for the smokes we have sd 355s we have one system sensor heat detector in the kitchen and for nacs we have specter alert advances

[quote=maxshaw post_id=87049 time=1589694702 user_id=2957]

Not that I recall, one of the dorms I looked at had rebranded ZNS strobes in each room along with the sounders though.

[/quote]

Then that means that the sounder bases activate upon any alarm. They sound like U-MMT’s.

Oh no, that’s going to be absolute torture… imagine being woken up by a U-MMT…

A surprise at my high school!
[attachment=0]BHSunusualalarm.jpg[/attachment]
This is found at the receiving entrance to the main building. A Simplex 2901-9553 horn on a 4050-80 light plate with the lens missing! The horn is obviously replacing a Simplex 4040 that failed, but what’s unusual is how all the other 4040s I’ve seen at this school are flush-mounted with no visual signals! Then again, this is all I saw of the receiving area. And yes, the original pulls are Edwards 270-SPOs, original to the school’s 1969-70 construction with Simplex 4247 systems using 4040 horns (though the main building here has an FCI FC-72 from the early 90s running the system currently.) The school is due for an expansion and renovation soon, so obviously this rarity’s days will soon be numbered (along with the city’s loudest fire alarm system currently in place!)

[quote=maxshaw post_id=87061 time=1590002575 user_id=2957]

Oh no, that’s going to be absolute torture… imagine being woken up by a U-MMT…

[/quote]

I don’t really know what else to say, but it’s the same horn. At least you’ve been forewarned.
(the Wheelock lawsuit only affected standalone notification appliances - not smoke detector bases.)

is there a chance that theres a white speaker than camouflages with the wall/ceiling that wasnt shown in the virtual tour?

I dunno, I’ll find out for sure in the fall!

This past Wednesday, I went and met the high school band director that I will be student teaching with this fall. I also toured the school with the principal, and then the HS band teacher and I went about a half mile down the road to meet the director at the feeder middle school. The high school system was pretty much your usual fare, but the middle school was interesting!

WAHS: Opened 1962. Original system: I have no freaking clue. The only old-looking devices were some old, black Wheelock bells in some of the hallways. Clock are Simplex, so that could be indicative of an old Simplex system.

Current System:

Control Panel
Notifier Addressable Something (I never saw it). There was an LCD-80(?) vertical annunciator at the main entrance and auditorium entrance.

Initiating Devices
Notifier NBG-12LX (Pre-Honeywell versions)
Notifier//System Sensor addressable smokes (a mix of older and FSP-851{?} models)

Notification Appliances
System Sensor MASS-24 non-ADA horn/strobes
System Sensor P1224MC, P2R horn/strobes (spot replacements)
EST 202-3A-T single-gang remote strobes in restrooms, interestingly enough

WMS: Opened 1979. Open-Pod design; some rooms have been walled off. Original system: Standard Electric Time, probably a SET-7000 like my middle school. Some of the original devices are still in use. Clocks are all Standard Electric Time (panel is something weird with a red 7-segment display; couldn’t see the branding)

Control Panel
Cerberus Pyrotronics PXL. Main office. The only one I’ve ever seen in the field with my own eyes.

Initiating Devices
Johnson Controls//SET late '70s oval/oblong pull-stations (the model number escapes me…)
Cerberus Pyrotronics//Siemens MSM-K pull stations (rebranded RSG t-bars, Siemens-branded spot replacements in 1979 areas, Cerberus Pyrotronics-branded in a late-90s addition/renovated area)
Cerberus Pyrotronics PE-11 smoke detectors
Chemtronics heat sensors (probably left over from the SET system)

Notification Appliances
Wheelock 34 horns. Gray, behind matching flush grilles (very typical Standard Electric Time install). All the usual spots and one horn per classroom pod.
Cerberus Pyrotronics HN-S17-F horn/strobes. Late 1990s renovated/expansion areas.
Cerberus Pyrotronics S17-F strobes. Restrooms.
System Sensor PC2R horn/strobes. “New” classrooms walled off in the pods.

Fire drills at both schools are gonna be LOUD…

Lone Star Community College Cy-Fair has a Siemens System (probably Firefinder XLS) with all of the buildings (except the new CASE building) the having HFP-11 smokes and MSI pull stations. All of the buildings (except the CASA building) also have ceiling mount Genesis speakers in the hallways/classrooms for general signaling.

College/Conference Center
Siemens U-MHU-MCS-W’s and U-MCS-W’s with a ZR-MC-W replacing a strobe.
A U-HN-MCS-W near the offices.

Technology Center
Same as above, but without the U-HN horn strobe and ZR strobe. There are also two Wheelock Agent RSS’s (one for each floor).

Health Science Building 1
U-MHU-MCS-W in the classrooms and hallways and strobes in the restroom.
2 Siemens branded white Wheelock MT-24MCW’s.

Health Science Building 2
White Wheelock E90-24mcc’s (these were ridiculously quiet) in the hallways and restrooms.
White Wheelock RSS-24mccr’s in the classrooms.
White Wheelock ET70WP outside.

Center for the Arts
U-MHU-MCS-Ws in the classrooms and hallways
U-MCS-Ws in restrooms, lobby, and auditorium
S-LP70-Cs in lobby and auditorium
Weatherproof Wheelock AS at the back of the building

Learning Commons
Library: U-MHU-MCS-Ws and U-MCS-Ws; one of the columns have two white Wheelock RS’s
What used to be the Student Engagement Center before CASE was built: ZH-MC-Ws and ZR-MC-Ws

CASA
White E90-24MCC’s and RSS-24MCCR’s in the Student Service offices and hallways. Speaker strobes also in classrooms and bathrooms.
E70-24MCW-FWs in the Student Service lobby.
ZR-MC-Ws in some smaller rooms.

CASE
NAs: Ceiling mount Genesis speaker strobes
Pulls: Edwards 276B-1110s
Smokes: EST SIGA-PSs

I don’t know why, but I have distinctive memories of all alarms at all schools I attended over the course of my life. Unfortunately I am not currently very knowledgeable with detector model numbers, so I will leave those out. Sorry about that.

In Pre-K our system was all Integrities, with Edwards 270-series pull stations.

In Kindergarten, before our school moved buildings, we had two Vibratone horns at either end of the building, which would pulse rapidly on activation before sounding continuously.

Elementary school, our system initially had Wheelock 7002t-series alarms with no strobes. The pull stations read “PULL FOR FIRE” and were covered by a glass box that said something along the lines of “In case of emergency break glass, activate local fire alarm pull station. Warning, do not use bare hands to break glass.” This system was later removed, and replaced with EST Genesis-series horns and horn-strobes, all set to continuous with a single horn sounding temporal, and EST 270-series pulls.

High school, we currently have Wheelock speakers, ceiling-mount, and free-run Quick Alert strobes (One TrueAlert was present in the gym but was knocked off the wall by a flying object) The quick alerts de-synchronize almost immediately leading to an impressive laser-light show. In the newer annex, we have synchronized Wheelock speaker-strobes. All speakers emit a continuous 500-hz tone on activation. Both buildings use Simplex t-bars, although the new annex’s pulls are dual-action and behind Stopper IIs.

My local university has a relatively new Notifier Onyx network throughout the majority of the buildings, with the exception of one building on campus. Here’s what they have:

Nicholson Building:

The Nicholson Building (largest building on campus) has a Cerberus Pyrotronics MXL-IQ (installed late 90’s/early 00’s) as their main fire alarm control panel with an RCC annunciator in one of the entryways. The AV’s are pretty consistent throughout, consisting of Wheelock NS horn strobes and RSS strobes. There is one section of the building that has Siemens U-MMT-MCS horn strobes and U-MCS strobes, and there is one lone Wheelock MT with the newer horizontal strobe on the upper floor, presumably serving as a replacement for an NS. Pull stations are MSI-10B’s and smoke detectors are ILP-2’s.

Wheatley Center:

The Wheatley Center has a relatively new Notifier system, installed around 2014 when the building was built. System is all voice evacuation, with System Sensor SPSW speaker strobes and SW remote strobes throughout. Pull stations are NBG-12LX’s of course, and the panel should be an NFS2-3030 judging by the LCD-160 in the main lobby. Oddly enough, there is only ONE smoke detector in the entire building from what I can tell (FSP-851), and it is mounted above the LCD-160 annunciator and remote mic cabinet in the main lobby.

John Jay Building:

This building has a slightly older Notifier system, probably from the early to mid 2000’s. I’ve never seen the panel, but judging from the devices I’m going to guess it’s an AFC-600 or AFP-400. The system consists of System Sensor P2475 and S2475 SpectrAlert Classic AV’s, 1st generation NBG-12LX’s (with NOTIFIER FIRE SYSTEMS printed on the bottom) and FSP-751 smoke detectors. There is an LCD-80TM annunciator in the main entryway, and there are also a few SpectrAlert Advance horn strobes scattered about, serving as replacements for some SpectrAlert Classics.

Hale Center:

Now, this system is a bit more interesting than the others. Most of the system is now a Notifier NFS-3030, installed in the 2000’s at some point with SpectrAlert Classic SP2R1224MC speaker strobes, NBG-12LX’s, FSP-851 smoke detectors and an LCD-160 in the main entrance. The interesting part is that ALL of the classrooms have Simplex 4904-9137 remote strobes left over from an old system! The SpectrAlert speaker strobes are even mounted on old Simplex 2975 backboxes (probably used with 4903’s) and the NBG-12LX’s are mounted on T-Bar backboxes. I’m going to assume the original panel was a 4020 or 4100 of some type, but obviously got replaced when the university decided to go with Notifier for most of their buildings.

Revere Center:

This system is pretty basic given that this building is a relatively small admin building. The main panel is an NFS-320 with SpectrAlert Advance P2R and SR horn strobes and strobes, NBG-12LX pull stations and FSP-851 smoke detectors. There is also an FDU-80 annunciator in the main entryway.

Patrick Henry Building:

Similar to Hale Center’s system, the main panel is an NFS-3030 with SpectrAlert Classic speaker strobes, S1224MC SpectrAlert Classic remote strobes, NBG-12LX’s and FSP-851 smoke detectors. This system also appears to have replaced an older Simplex system, this time consisting of 2901-9332 6" bells (still in place, but disconnected) on the upper floor. This building is also directly connected to the Nicholson building, so I’m assuming the MXL-IQ and NFS-3030 are connected (and more than likely, the NFS-3030 monitors the MXL-IQ for the NOTI-FIRE-NET network).

UMPC Events Center:

Finished in early summer of 2019, this building has a brand new Notifier NFS2-3030 with System Sensor SPSWL L Series speaker strobes! There are also SWL strobes throughout, NBG-12LX pull stations and the brand new FSP-951 smoke detectors. There is also an NCA network annunciator in the main lobby of the building.

The entire system is networked back to campus PD, where I believe another NFS-3030 or NFS2-3030 is serving as the head-end. Not sure if they have an OnyxWorks workstation or not, but taking into account the size of the network and the fact that campuses usually use these, they probably do.

Well…that’s pretty much it as far as the systems on campus go. I didn’t feel like listing out the dorm building systems since they are all the same (NFS-3030 with SpectrAlert Classics speaker strobes, FSP-851 smokes and NBG-12LX’s). Kind of wish the old Simplex systems were still there, but it seems like the whole university is going with Notifier as their go-to. It honestly won’t surprise me if they replace the MXL-IQ in the near future with another Notifier system given that the MXL is either nearing or is over 20 years old at this point. If they do replace it though, I’m hoping I’ll be lucky enough to grab it as the MXL is one of my “bucket-list” panels.

Going off memory of what my old elementary school in Louisiana had, there’s Wheelock EHS-DL1’s in the main building and one in the outdoor corridor leading to the cafeteria. There is a Simplex 2901-9833 outside the main building.The cafeteria had one Simplex 2901-9838+4903-9101 and a Simplex 4251 pull station. There is a restroom building with TrueAlert horn strobes in them. The portables had Amseco BZ-54VT’s and Wheelock 7002t-24’s. The K-3rd grade building was a long corridor with GMS’s and chevron pulls by the exits; no alarms in the classrooms. The alarms were all in continuous. The school took severe damage from Hurricane Katrina so it had to be demolished.

My job/facility

Panel: Notifier NFS-320

Smokes: System Sensor 2151s

Pulls: BG-12’s

NA’s: Spectralert Advances and some wall/ceiling mount L-Series horn strobes/strobes as replacements.

General Signaling Devices: White Wall/Ceiling mount RSSB’s by some exits. White Edwards min-horn strobes with the green lens by all restrooms. Grey Edwards Adaptahorns 876-N5’s (I hear them every single day as they go off every time the conveyor belts are about to start up again).

My current High School, my other schools will be added on as time passes

[list]

• Notifier NFS-320 FACP (I think?? the IT room was open and that’s what I saw)

Notifier NBG-10L Pull Stations (in spots original to when the other system was installed in the 90s)

Notifier NC-100 Control Modules (One of them is in the cafeteria for the duct detectors)

Wheelock MT-24LSM Notification Appliances set to Continuous Horn

System Sensor Spectralert Advance P2R Notif. Appliances (newer additions to the building)

Notifier NBG-12LX Addressable Pull Stations (newer additions)

System Sensor 2151T Smokes (Newer additions)

System Sensor 2451 Smokes

Wheelock LSM-24 Remote Strobes (mostly in classrooms)

System Sensor SR remote strobes (newer additions)

Notifier LCD-80 Annunciator (Main Entrance)

• [/list]

Everything is set on continuous. Not everything is correct, just experience and a bit of knowledge.

[quote=cerbpyro post_id=87113 time=1590860432 user_id=3654]

This past Wednesday, I went and met the high school band director that I will be student teaching with this fall. I also toured the school with the principal, and then the HS band teacher and I went about a half mile down the road to meet the director at the feeder middle school. The high school system was pretty much your usual fare, but the middle school was interesting!

WAHS: Opened 1962. Original system: I have no freaking clue. The only old-looking devices were some old, black Wheelock bells in some of the hallways. Clock are Simplex, so that could be indicative of an old Simplex system.

Current System:

Control Panel
    Notifier Addressable Something (I never saw it). There was an LCD-80(?) vertical annunciator at the main entrance and auditorium entrance.

Initiating Devices
    Notifier NBG-12LX (Pre-Honeywell versions)
    Notifier//System Sensor addressable smokes (a mix of older and FSP-851{?} models)

Notification Appliances
    System Sensor MASS-24 non-ADA horn/strobes
    System Sensor P1224MC, P2R horn/strobes (spot replacements)
    EST 202-3A-T single-gang remote strobes in restrooms, interestingly enough

WMS: Opened 1979. Open-Pod design; some rooms have been walled off. Original system: Standard Electric Time, probably a SET-7000 like my middle school. Some of the original devices are still in use. Clocks are all Standard Electric Time (panel is something weird with a red 7-segment display; couldn’t see the branding)

Control Panel
    Cerberus Pyrotronics PXL. Main office. The only one I’ve ever seen in the field with my own eyes.

Initiating Devices
    Johnson Controls//SET late '70s oval/oblong pull-stations (the model number escapes me…)
    Cerberus Pyrotronics//Siemens MSM-K pull stations (rebranded RSG t-bars, Siemens-branded spot replacements in 1979 areas, Cerberus Pyrotronics-branded in a late-90s addition/renovated area)
    Cerberus Pyrotronics PE-11 smoke detectors
    Chemtronics heat sensors (probably left over from the SET system)

Notification Appliances
    Wheelock 34 horns. Gray, behind matching flush grilles (very typical Standard Electric Time install). All the usual spots and one horn per classroom pod.
    Cerberus Pyrotronics HN-S17-F horn/strobes. Late 1990s renovated/expansion areas.
    Cerberus Pyrotronics S17-F strobes. Restrooms.
    System Sensor PC2R horn/strobes. “New” classrooms walled off in the pods.

Fire drills at both schools are gonna be LOUD…

[/quote]

Welp…due to COVID-19, the school district I was supposed to student teach in has dropped all their interns this year. I’ve been reassigned to another high school in a different district.

NWGHS: Opened ~1960. Original system: Probably an old Simplex or Standard Electric Time system. I’m not sure. Clocks are Simplex (I think). PA system is Valcom.

Control Panel
    EST2. Main office. Matching EST2 remote annunciators in each building. Installed in the early 2000’s during an addition and renovation (I’m not sure of exact dates)

Initiating Devices
    EST SIGA-278 Pull Stations in all the usual spots.
    EST SIGA-PS (“traffic cone”) smoke sensors. Again, all the usual spots.

Notification Appliances
    EST Genesis EG1R-HOV75 (red) horn/strobes. All the usual spots and all classrooms. Semi-flush mounted in the addition, surface mounted in the original buildings.
    EST Genesis EG1R-V75 (red) strobes. Again, all the usual spots. Mounted in the same configurations as the horn/strobes.
    Not sure what the mobile units have. If not EST signals, they probably have System Sensor or Wheelock devices.

Again, fire drills are gonna be LOUD…

My new school’s OLD system: Gamewell or Notifier panel of some sort, Wheelock AS in most classrooms, Cerberus Pyrotronics mechanical horns in the portables, and a spectralert advance in the hallway to the gym. New system: Notifier Onyx panel, Notifier FSP-951, System Sensor SPSWL’s and SPSCWL’s inside, SPWK outside, portables have the same devices as before, and IDK about the gym.

Mine has National Time and Signal co. ceiling horn strobes, and Gentex Commander horn strobes. They were put in last year

Pretty much every system at my college is some sort of Gamewell-FCI setup. Nothing really too out of the ordinary.

Dorms and Student Union
    Panel: G-FCI rebranded Notifier voice evac panel (probably part of the NFS-2 series)
    NA’s: mix of white and red Spectralert Advance wall mount speaker strobes, speakers, and strobes, Notifier B501BH sounder bases in each dorm room. Weatherproof Spectralert Advance horn strobes outside stairwell exits
    Initiation Devices: G-FCI MS-6’s under Stopper II’s, a few G-FCI rebranded Firelite BG-12’s, Notifier NP-100 smoke detectors

Several Academic Buildings and Dining Halls
    Panel: G-FCI 7100-2D’s with corrosponding annunciators
    NA’s: Wheelock Exceeders, RSS’s, NS’s, ZNS’s
    Initiation Devices: G-FCI rebranded Firelite BG-12’s, Notifier NP-100 smoke detectors

Agriculture Buildings
    Panel: FCI 7200 in vestibule between buildings
    NA’s: Wheelock Exceeders/ RSS’s in one building, Wheelock MT 24-LSM’s and LSM strobes in the other
    Initiation Devices: FCI MS-6’s under Stopper II’s, System Sensor 2400 series smoke detectors

That’s all I’ve got for now- I’ve not been in every building on campus, but the FCI/ Wheelock/ System Sensor theme seems pretty consistent, so I imagine pretty much every building has a variation of what’s listed above. There was one small coffee shop on campus that had a DMP panel with a few Firelite BG-12’s, Spectralert Advances, and a Cerberus Pyrotronics MCW horn strobe in the kitchen (probably for agent release?)

This is veering a little bit off topic, but I found out something very interesting about my local school district a few days ago. Upgrades to the fire alarm systems at the ~30 buildings across the district are phased in such a way that two buildings are upgraded every year (for the record, an “upgrade” only involves the panel and associated hardware being replaced; “replacement” is the language that my district uses for a full fire alarm system upgrade of everything and those are funded separately). This means that every building in the district has a system upgrade roughly every 15 years. This seems like a really smart way to budget and ensure that life safety systems are up-to-date. Is this common in most school districts?