What alarm do you have at work/school

Now, I am very late with the reply, but I believed this replaced an older MXL system from 2001 or 2002.

2 Likes

At my school we have Gentex Commander 3’s and Notifier BG-12’s. There is a Annunciator in the lobby, but I can’t locate the panel (It’s probably in a locked closet), even after checking the office and unlocked closets and electrical rooms when I was allowed to go in. The room had breakers and electrical feed line for the building so I was surprised. I have also seen Simplex vibratones in the hallways and common areas, but they are not in use and I’ve never heard them go off. As far as old pull stations, I’d guess they were removed and they put the new BG-12s where they once were.

Pulls in school:

That Gamewell is fairly rare :hushed:

1 Like

I have Gentex commander 3s
4 of them in the high school gym and a few more scattered around my school
Lots and lots of 2nd and 1st generation SHGS
Lots of spectralert classics
And one. One. Edwards integrity as a sprinkler alarm
System sensor 2W-B smoke detectors
And system sensor 2400 smokes
And there is fire lite BG 12L pull stations
And fire lite BG10 pull stations
And really old smoke detectors in the middle school gym I have no clue what model
They look like Gentex home smoke detectors without the strobe
And a silent knight 5820XLCB alarm panel
And from what I know no annunciator.

1 Like

That century is pretty rare

1 Like

That “SHG” above the Gamewell pull station is a Gentex GOS

2 Likes

Classics and Advances. We have a mystery bell, too. The pull-stations are NBG-12s (office) and Faraday F1GT Chevrons.

1 Like

My school’s alarms:

Notification Appliances:

• Gentex GX-90S’s in classrooms
  • FCI HEF/STW’s in hallways, and large rooms (gym, auditorium, cafeteria, library etc.)
  • FCI STW/4F’s in bathrooms

Pull stations:

• FCI MS-2
  • ONE Fire-Lite BG-12L (replaced an MS-2)

Smoke detectors:

• System Sensor 2400’s all throughout the building

Panel(s):

• I am not sure what the main panel is, it is inside a locked utility closet. Likely FCI
  • An Audiosone voice evac panel in the cafeteria… there are no speaker strobes in the school but me and others have definitely heard a “whoop” sound in the cafeteria during fire drills.
1 Like

Here are the alarms I remember from I was in school:

Elementary school
There was a Notifier LNG-1R pull station right next to the panel in the main office. I don’t remember what brand the panel was, but my guess is it could’ve been Notifier; and the system was from the '80s. Notification signals were all Wheelock 7002Ts (indoor) and 34Ts (outdoor). However, I remember seeing polaroid photos of the school taken in the early 80s (before there was a fire at the school), and the signals were open-grille 7002s at the time. The music room had a 34T-WS. I remember one day in kindergarten I was in the general music class, and we had a fire drill that day; when the alarm went off, the horn didn’t skip at all when the strobe flashed. The portables also probably had 34T-WS horn strobes, as I recall not hearing any skipping when they went off.

Middle school
Pull station was a Notifier LNG-1R, also located in the main office near the panel. Signals were again mostly 7002Ts and 34Ts (some devices even had the narrow “FIRE” lettering typically seen on the open-grille models). The gymnasium/music wing had one outdoor Simplex 2901-9806 interestingly. The portables had System Sensor PA400s, but one portable had Wheelock MIZ-24-WS mini horn strobes.

High school
The A, B, C, and D wings had Gentex Commander 3s (set to code-3 horn) that were installed in the summer of 2004, right before I started my freshman year. I remember there being 7002Ts before then. E wing (where most freshman core classes were held) still had 7002Ts and one open-grille 7002 that was rebranded by Fire-lite. The science wing, which was built around 2001, had SpectrAlert classics. The library also had 7002Ts (there was a flush-mounted Simplex 4050/4051 from an older system but was disconnected). Also, the auxiliary gym and a fitness room that used to be a swimming pool had 7002Ts. And the main gym had SpectrAlert classics in the locker rooms and a white 7002T in the lobby. Music building also had 7002Ts. P wing had GEC3s set to whoop. Pull station was a Fire-Lite BG-10, and the panel was newer (I remember sophomore year when the assistant principal allowed me to activate the alarm for a fire drill, it took a few seconds for the notification appliances to sound after activating the pull station). All outdoor signals were Wheelock 34Ts.

My senior year, a few more 7002Ts were replaced by GEC3s (one in the freshman wing, and the ones in the auxiliary gym). In the library, GEC3s were installed in the computer labs, but the main part of the library still had 7002Ts.

my work hase systemsensor spectralert classics celling and wall mount not sure of the panle and bg12 for the pulles

1 Like

One of the schools in my district has Wheelock LED3 speaker strobes, Exceder remote strobes, Wheelock remote speakers, Wheelock RSSWP’s and Wheelock ET70WP’S. The school is brand new and opened last year. The system is Silent Knight with Silent Knight pull stations.

1 Like

Are they marked ALERT or Fire?

They are marked Fire. There are no speakers marked alert in the building. The other emergency messages (lockdown, severe weather, etc) are played through Rauland speakers.

my high school is replacing the alarm system with a mass notification system they are doing this because we are in tornado alley and last school year (my junior year i will be a senior) there was a EF0 tornado that touched down on the football feild luckly there were no injurys but there was damage to the school. so far there is a outdoor warning siren in the sports complex but I am not sure yet of the NAs

My school district uses Simplex systems in all but one building. The one building that does not have Simplex is an elementary school that was built in 2014 with and addressable Siemens system. Other than that one, the newest elementary school in the district was opened in 1995. All of these elementary schools have been upgraded to simplex 4007es’. In the 1995 school, they left the original notification appliances (simplex 2901-9838’s on 4903-9105 strobe plates) but replaced all of the initiating devices with addressable Simplex devices. In all of the other elementary schools, they upgraded to TrueAlert ES horn strobes. The middle school was opened in 2008 with a Simplex 4100u equipped with voice evac throughout the entire school. The system has been added on to, but is still pretty much the same to this day. The high school was opened in 1952. I have no idea what the original system was, but it was replaced with a Cerberus Pyrotronics system sometime in the 80’s or 90’s. This used rebranded Wheelock devices such as 7002t’s and MT’s. Sometime (probably around the time the middle school was built) they upgraded to a Simplex 4100u. They left the existing notification appliances but replaced the initiating devices with addressable Simplex devices. The system is still the same to this day but they have replaced a few of the old Wheelock devices that have failed over the years. They are currently building an additional elementary school and a new high school to replace the old one. I am curious to see what those will have.

The system in my current school is an addressable notifier system from 2005 or 6
The smokes are: notifier fsp-851’s mounted on 8710lp low profile bases
The pulls are second gen notifier nbg-12lx’s ( some have been replaced by 3rd gens).
The AV’s are a combo of wheelock NS’s and exeeders. There’s also some rss’s and some exeeder remote srobes in the bathrooms and storage closets

The system in my school is a Simplex 4002 with TrueAlarm smokes that were added later, a bunch of Edwards heats, a couple Simplex heats, Simplex 4251-20 and various Edwards pulls. There is also an EST booster panel. Notification appliances are Simplex 2901-9840 horns with 2904-9101 strobes, Simplex 4903s and 4904s, and ceiling mount Edwards Genesis in the recent additions. I’m not sure when this system was installed but the school was built in '75. I could make a whole topic on just this system so that might come soon.

my elementary school had a faraday (10 inch bells and likely chevrons, as well as some unknown detectors) system, with an unknown school bell system featuring 6 and 4 inch edwards adaptabells. it now has a brand new rauland intercom/bell system, and an EST (Genesis horn and voice evac, 270-SPO and older-style SIGA detectors) system.

1 Like

Preschool(Also Church)
Panel: Unknown
Pulls: Edwards 270-SPOs
Detectors: None (Residential smoke alarms not connected to the system)
AV’s: SpectrAlert Classics

Elementary School
Panel: EST3
Pulls: SIGA-278s
Detectors: SIGA-PSes and SIGA-HFSes
AV’s: Indoor: Genesis horn/strobes and remote strobes
Outdoor: Integrity horn/strobes, and an old 7002T above one of the doors that’s
disconnected.

Middle School
There used to be an old Edwards system (Likely a 6500) at this school with 892s, they were slowly being replaced with UMMTs on Siemens strobe plates. There was an expansion that included a Siemens/Cerberus Pyrotronics system (Around the time of the merger) system with all Siemens devices. The old parts of the school still had the old Edwards system. In 2019, the Edwards parts were replaced with all Siemens. The older Siemens devices have trouble syncing up with the newer siemens devices.
Panel: I believe a Siemens MXL tied to an XLS or Desigo Fire Safety
Pulls: Siemens HMS-Ds and Cerberus Pyrotronics MSI-10Bs
Detectors: OP921s, HI921s, OOH941s (on ABHW-4S sounder bases in science rooms and one in the main gym) and FP-11s (or HFP-11s)
AV’s: Indoor: ZH-MC-Rs, ZR-MC-Rs, UMMT-MCSes. U-MHU-MCSes, and U-MCSes
Outdoor: AS-75-Rs

High School
Panel: EST3
Pulls: SIGA-278s
Detectors: SIGA2-PSes, SIGA2-HFSes, SIGA-PDs (Some on sounder bases for some reason and some labeled with CO Detector on them), and what I believe are EC-50R beam detectors (Located in the auditorium)
AV’s: Indoor: Genesis horn/strobes (wall and ceiling mount), remote strobes, and remote horns
Outdoor: Integrity horn/strobes (Only outside the annex building, the main building doesn’t
have any AV’s outside.)

1 Like

Update - It appears the fire alarm system at my middle school is being replaced! New pulls are NBG-12LXs, and NAs appear to be L-Series Speaker/Strobes and strobes (both wall and ceiling mounted). Panel may be an NFS-320 or NFS2-640 with DVC. Smokes might be of the FSP series…