What alarm do you have at work/school

Here’s a recap of my college’s fire alarm systems, with pictures! Plus, it is updated to mention the January 2008 system upgrades.

The Student Center building originally had these alarms when built in 1972:

Standard Electric Time Co. 450 horns mounted behind flush-mount light plates. The panel is unknown.

On the left is one of the pull stations. Most of them are the old, round Standard models. They are mounted too high up, so they are being replaced with Faraday Chevrons (non-addressable) on special adapters so they can be mounted at ADA-compliant levels. sOn the far right is a newer Notifier annunciator, and next to it is what appears to be the original system annunciator. I bet it’s disconnected.

The cafeteria has a Simplex 2901-9833 horn (or a Faraday 6020 horn) on a 2903 light plate. Not pictured is another Standard pull underneath (an odd combination).

This SpectrAlert’s in the computer lab, added in the late 1990s/early 2000s. It didn’t replace any older alarms.

In August 2007, some upgrades to the system occured…

What you see is a Faraday U-HNH-MCS horn/strobe installed right onto the old Standard retrofit plate. They put red tape where the light once was. Only three of them are like this, one in the cafeteria (this didn’t replace the 2903+9833 yet), one in the Student Lounge and one in the kitchen, which has a white horn/strobe instead of a red one.

Most of the others wound up like this. They kept the original Standard horns, but replaced the lights with Faraday MTL remote strobes. One still has the original light intact.

There aren’t any “real” smoke detectors in the building, just a mix of Chemtronics metal heat detectors, and some white Edwards heat detectors.

The Science, Technology and Business buildings also had setups like these. But as of June 2008, the S and T buildings have their systems powered by Faraday FireFinder II panels, and the B building has a Fire-Lite MS-4424B panel! The pulls were replaced, and one old signal is still intact in the S building. All the others got replaced with SpaceAge Electronics VA4 horn/strobes. Again, the pulls were mainly the old Standard ones, but the S building had two of them replaced with Faraday Chevrons. The old pulls were mounted too high, so they got replaced with new Chevron pulls and ADA-adapters. And there were also some Chemtronics heat detectors, but they’re getting replaced with System Sensor i3s.

The Humanities and Liberal Arts buildings used to have Simplex 4208 systems with 4051 horns on 4050-80 light plates, 4251-20 T-bar pulls and Chemtronics heat detectors. But they are pretty much long gone by now. Both buildings have the fire alarm systems controlled by a single Faraday MPC-7000 panel in the H building…

The annunciators were also dismantled, and all that’s left are the trim plates and doors.

They also had their old 4208 panels converted into fire alarm terminal cabinets. A close look reveals the holes that used to have the LEDs, buttons and switches on them. This one is in the LA building.

These are the signals in both buildings. SAE VA4 horn/strobes. I gotta say, these are the loudest fire alarms on the whole campus. Many of them are on red trim plates, but this one isn’t, since it appears to be a rush-job installation. It replaced a 4051/4050-80 that survived in that room until January 2007. Most of them have 75 candela strobes, but some have 30 candelas.

The pull stations are Faraday Chevrons, but unlike the ones in all the other buildings that have them, these are addressable. They replaced most of the Simplex 4251-20s (one was simply taken out and didn’t have anything replacing it, and one pull used to be a Standard model).

These are the smoke detectors installed. They are addressable, and are made by Faraday. These are installed at each entrance, and there is one in the Mechanical rooms, and in janitors’ rooms as well. An office in the LA building still has its Chemtronics heat detector intact.

The Field House building also has SAE VA4s for the signals, but the panel is a Faraday MPC-2000. They also installed a Faraday RDC-700 annunciator in place of the old Simplex model.

The pull stations are mainly Simplex 4251-20s, and several of them have Stopper IIs installed over them without the sounders.

The T-bars in the swimming pool were replaced in January 2008, with non-addressable Faraday Chevron pulls, and they had new Stopper IIs installed over them as well! The original pull that used to be there in this pic didn’t have a Stopper II over it.

The old Chemtronics heat detectors are still intact, as well as an Edwards heat detector…

Even though the panel is addressable, the system is set up in a non-addressable manner, like the original 4208 system was.

The Fine Arts building also possibly has an MPC-2000 panel, but the original Simplex annunciator is still intact!

Again, the panel in this building was originally a Simplex 4208.

A picture of one of the original Simplex signals.They are Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 light plates (single bulb, and they don’t have “FIRE” on the lens). There were ten of them in this building when I first came to this college, but now there are only three left. The one you see in that picture was replaced in August 2007.

The new signals are, again, SAE VA4s. I nicknamed them “The Screamers” due to their long continuous screech.

Interestingly, the Little Theater had a 4050-80 plate that didn’t have a 4051, but a 2901-9833 horn!

Unfortunately, that’s no longer there. It got replaced in January 2008…

The smoke detectors are a mix of the old Chemtronics heat detectors, some System Sensor 2451TH smokes, and some SS i3 smokes.

These are the smoke models that are currently being used in system upgrades at my college.

The pulls are, again, Simplex 4251-20 T-bars, some of them with Stopper IIs over them, but there is also a non-addressable Faraday Chevron in the main auditorium.

The Administration building has an unknown panel that replaced a Simplex 4208, and the original annunciator is still up there…

The signals are again, mainly SAE “Screamers,” replacing Simplex 4051 horns and 4050-80 light plates, but two of the original 4051s were brought up to code by retrofitting them on Faraday strobe plates!

The strobes on these retrofits are 75 candelas.

The pull stations are Simplex 4251-20 T-bars, and all but one of them have Stopper IIs over them. The smoke detectors include a few Chemtronics heat detectors (mainly in the restrooms), some System Sensor 2451THs…

…and an old ESL smoke detector in one stairwell, obviously part of the original system.

This building also has a halon system…

That’s a Federal Signal Vibratone 450D with a strobe added. It looks new.

The Maintenance building also has two Standard pulls (one with a Stopper II over it) and a Standard 450 horn with a Faraday MTL strobe added to the old retrofit plate.

1 Like

Here’s a recap of my MS fire alarms. Plus, it will based on what alarms are there now.

1. The alarms (majority) are Edwards 892-2B’s.

2. The pulls are these

but they are made by ESL, not ADT.

3. One Edwards Integrity Horn/Strobe (Code 3) outside the library.

4. A 278B-1120 near one of the stairwells.

5. There are 3 Classic SpectrAlerts which there is one in a science classroom, and one each in two meeting rooms.

6. There is a Fire-Lite BG-12 in that Science classroom.

7. There are Edwards Mini-Horn/Strobes in six classrooms.

8. In the new wing and outside, SpectrAlert Advances in code-3.

9. Notifier NBG-12LX’s in the new doorways in the front of the building. They have four of them in the building so the light flashes Sonic fast.

These smokes are actually the plug-in kind, and are actually not 2400s, but have the model number 2451TH (the TH meaning thermal.)

FYI if the system is 100% Faraday then the smokes are Faraday, not System Sensor-- they are rebranded…

Didn’t NewAgeServer name the Simplex 4903-9237? alarms at his/her middle school “The Screamers”?

1 Like

Yes he did. bakerpatient also calls the SpectrAlert Advanced horn/strobes at his middle school “The Screamers.” It must be a popular nickname for really loud electronic fire alarm horns.

Oh and I checked the Faraday website. I didn’t see any System Sensor smokes there. But I’m betting Faraday might relabel the i3s in some way, though.

My Faraday catalog (2001) has a footnote that says they are made for Faraday by System Sensor

That’s what I thought. I figured that Faraday must rebrand those System Sensor smokes. But I’m still gonna refer to them as being made by System Sensor though, unless that would be cheating, like calling Simplex 2901-9833s as “Faraday 6020 horns” (which they are). Besides, I found a 2451T smoke in one of the fire alarm parts box and it had a SS label on it.

Don’t know for sure if this goes here but I went to a concert at a middle school near my grandparents’ area.

Outdoor alarms: Oddly enough, outdoor SpectrAlert Advance Horn/Strobes!

Pulls: Radionics T-Bars with Stopper IIs over them.

Alarms: (Majority) MA/SS alarms (the ones with the 1cd strobe)
There are some SpectrAlert Advance Horn/Strobes (maybe replacing some of the MA/SS’s?)

Here’s my schools alarms…
Panel: Silent Knight 5207
Notification and initiation:
First Building:
7002T Horn Strobes
34T Horns
BG-10s and 2 BG-12s
Second Building:
MASSes set to 800 Cont.
Kidde Pull Stations
Third Building (my building):
MTs set to cont.
BG-10s
Toddler Building has Kidde Pull Stations and a 34T

All horns changed to Code-3 as of TODAY (and I really hate it)

1. Simplex 9801+2903-9838 horns are the most common

2. In high ceiling areas, we have SAE V44+2CDC horns on the ceilings (even if there is a 9838 in the immediate area)

3. Aquaculture Building and one basement hallway has Simplex 4903-9219 horns

4. Modular (Portable) Building has Edwards 892-2B horn

5. The Senior Project Center has a Classic SpectrAlert (which has been rendered inoperable because of the code change; it was already on Code-3, meaning when the panel went code-3, it got cancelled out)

6. On the outside of the Aquaculture Building, there is a Wheelock ASWP (which also has been rendered inoperable because of the code change)

What’s the new panel’s model number? Hopefully it’s a Simplex model. And maybe you should tell the staff that during the summer, the fire alarm crew should modify the SpectrAlert and ASWP and switch them to Continuous so they can do the Code-3 from the panel.

ACTUALLY…

the ASWP is not codeable from any panel. If they really wanted to use panel coded temporal 3, they would need to put the ASWP on a seperate NAC, and then set that NAC to continuous, and set the ASWP to temporal 3 by jumper plug. The Spectralert should still sound OK even if its jumper is not on continuous. Unless its one of those new Advances. Then they need to set the coding switch on the back to “Coded system”.

I told the staff and they will see what they can do.

The High School that Brandon and I go to has the following system…

-Gentex GX-90S-4L horn/strobes in all classrooms and hallways (few exceptions) and in the gyms.
as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuTAYrt7PDk

-Gentex GXS’s in the bathrooms and small offices
as seen on this sheet http://www.firelite.com/datasheets/df-51573.pdf

-There is only 1 pull in any of the actual buildings! It is a BG-10.

-The portables are so diverse im not even going to go there…

-The alarms outside are, Wheelock MT horns most are sun damaged.

-The GX-902-4L’s and GXS’s are getting quickly replaced by SpectrAlert Advances.

All alarms are ADA compliant.

College Stuff: http://www.dan.calvinet.com/html/college_fire_alarms.html
Only thing new is that I’ve changed my thinking to believe that the panels are 4120s, and not 4100s.

Grade Schools: http://www.dan.calvinet.com/html/grade_school_fire_alarms.html
Nothing’s changed. Again, old ES system was IBM w/ IBM break-glass stations, and IBM 6" and 8" bells. 8" bells are soley single-stroke and only used for the fire alarm but haven’t been used in years (only went off once the whole time I was in ES). 6" bells were vibrating and were used for both class bells and fire alarms, vibrating for class bells, single-stroke (code-4) for the fire alarm.

ES, MS, and HS all had the same SK panel, smokes, and pulls, except…

ES: NSs, ASs, NHs, AHs, MTs, RSSs, and a 270-SPO(IDK why) in a girls bathroom, that had a stopper over it.
MS: Commander 3s, and ONE Commander 4 with a busted strobe, and plus, a heavily graffitied 4099-9003 pull.
HS: SpectrAlerts, 3 or 4 NSs, 1 known BG-10LX.

also, i might be getting a job in a year, i’ll be working at a sushi place, and they have an EST2, with Genesis EG-1s(“FIRE” lettering on them), SIGA-PSs, and the newer EST pulls. there’s a Crate & Barrel next door that has the same system, and it went off while i was in the restrooms, it was… interesting with the EG-1s all over the place on 150cd…

yeah, sorry for ranting, but that’s it.

I see you also took a new pic of a TrueAlarm smoke for the Voice-Evac Type 1 page. That’s how I often see them. The pic used for the non-Voice Evac systems seems to look shiny on the bottom part. I recall seeing a TrueAlarm smoke at my public library (which has a Simplex 4010 system 4003 Voice-Evac) that sort of resembles the one in that image.

Yeah, I just wanted to take a new one, so that it didn’t look like I was posting the same pic over and over again.

ok, sorry for quoting this whole thing, but, if they replace any more Standard light plates, could you somehow get one of those? there are never any on eBay, and i cant find them in any of the various security and fire alarm stores around Houston.(yes, i live in TX)

1 Like