What do I need to do to become a fire alarm Tech?

so I have 1 more year of high school left and I want to become a fire alarm tech and I dont know where to start. Can I get some advice from people who have been in the field?

You will need to get a NiCET certification

To start as a helper or apprentice? Usually just a high school diploma/GED, a set of arms and legs, and a work ethic!

NICET is very important, to be sure, and eventually if you want to continue your career as a technician you will certainly need one, but to get your foot in the door you don’t necessarily need a NICET certification going in.

In fact - part of the requirements for your Level I is to be working at a company for at least six months, so you will for sure spend some time without a certification. Generally those sort of jobs that hire helpers will train you on the job, and eventually if you stick with the trade later on you’ll work your way up to a NICET certification. So, you’ll start out as an apprentice or helper, and as you learn the craft you will test for NICET or other equivalent licensure you’ll gradually take on more responsibilities and benefits.

4 Likes