What got you into the fire alarm hobby

My middle school has a notifier system, and my high school is getting one too.

1 Like

My high school was built around 2005 and 2006

1 Like

My interest was sparked when I witnessed a fire drill being conducted at my elementary school in Grade 6. At the time, I was taking private piano lessons that were offered through the school; these lessons were held in a small room near the main office. During one of these lessons, I saw the head custodian and a secretary just outside the doorway to this room. I didnā€™t understand what they were doing at first, but I then realized that the custodian was opening up a 270-SPO and explaining to the secretary how to conduct the fire drill (as he needed to go in the schoolā€™s other building to conduct a drill at the same time). When I realized what was happening, I became worried as I was rather afraid of the fire alarm (signals were EST 882s in continuous)ā€”the anticipation of a fire drill was overwhelming.

This experience led me to wonder how these pull stations operated; I knew the custodian had opened up a 270-SPO, but I couldnā€™t see what it looked like inside from my angle. I started noticing the different 270-SPO variants in my school and different types of pull stations in other buildings I frequented; among these other types of pull stations, the first ones I remember noticing were Simplex 4251-30s, Cerberus MSI-51BCs and Notifier MPS-950Bs. My interest quickly grew to include other components such as panels, annunciators and signals.

1 Like

For me the first seed was planted in 1st grade, seeing the iconic design of the Wheelock 7002T-24, and continued into intermediate school with the Simplex 2903 light plates. This didnā€™t spark my interest yet, just remembering the unique designs of them. Fast forward a few years, I set out to find the exact models that I saw going to school. Then I started watching New Age Server Alarm on YouTube, and the rest was history. Even better is that I now possess the exact alarms that planted that first seed.

1 Like

Actually thinking back I think I know what got me liking fire alarms, my elementary school conducted a fire drill one day and I remember I was so fascinated with how the alarms sounded and how they would flash and how they looked and after the fire drill I started noticing the smoke detectors and the pull stations around my elementary school. and then I started making alarms out of cardboard boxes and taping them to the wall all around my house ( at the time I was watching a lot of new age server alarms videos) .

2 Likes

Fals alarm at my high school

1 Like

Grade 2 in elementary school. I distinctivly remember one fire drill, as our class was fairly close to the main entrance, we would exit there. I remember hearing the 10" single stroke bells and the couple vibrating ones going in march time,

& Then I saw the 6500 as we were leaving. I was so intrigued, I saw red lights and the NAC circuits were all flashing yellow to the march time code. After that, I became more and more interested in the hobby.

To this day, Iā€™ve been trying to replicate my old elementary school system, and now my old high school, as that system was sadly replaced finally. I missed salvaging it by a month. But, I do have a full 6500 panel and cabinet, the single stroke bells, all I need is the march time card, a super rare card I cannot find for the life of me.

3 Likes

S.E.R. Safety, a popular Youtube collector.

2 Likes

The Fire Drills, SER Safety, Safety Security Alert (Who i recently moved away from Fire Alarms to be a Music producer and explore abandoned buildings, I think), New Serverā€™s System Test Series, Especially the Famous System test 26. (I like his new Security stuff too!)

There are some others, like FireAlarm9200, and @firealarmveteran15, who i think was the one who Told me about TFP forums.

Hopefully I will be the inspiration for someone else to be a FA enthusiast!

3 Likes

I am on the Autism spectrum, so after my first school Fire Drill, I was instantly hooked. I loved the look of the strobes flashing out of sync, and the old mechanical horns sounding. I only recently joined the online Fire Alarm community after @MrFireAlarm introduced me to it.

Since my hobby began, I have talked with countless alarm techs, firefighters, school safety officers. Helping me get more knowledge.

My hobby has also expanded into Firefighting, Law Enforcement, Emergency Management, and Security Systems.

I have been very lucky at my current middle school. I along with @MrFireAlarm assisted in running a fire drill a few months back. My school has also had 4 different emergency situations requiring a fire alarm activation, and Fire Department/School Safety response.

3 Likes

You know, I should email Grant (S.E.R. Safety) about joining these forums.

1 Like

You should give it a shot, I wonder if he will join.

(It would make TFP very popular if he shouts it out but it may plague the site with people underageā€¦ )

Hmm

2 Likes

Yeahā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ I donā€™t want a bunch of obsessed fire alarm kids viewing my collection post and asking me to sell them my alarms.

3 Likes

Not only that, but they would also infiltrate the TFP forums and turn them into a YouTube comment section. I am sure if SER was interested, he would look into the forums on his own.

1 Like

What do you mean by ā€œ turn the forums into a YT comment section ā€œ

1 Like

Were saying that it will interrupt the flow and formality of TFP Forums. Itā€™s hard to explain, but it practically ruins the formality of the Forums.

1 Like

Oh ok. I can see why thatā€™s bad

1 Like

On SER videos comments, it is usually filed with little kids from what I have seen. SER safety is a great content creator and is the reason I am in this hobby. Its just the younger community members that come on which worry me.

1 Like

And I bet those little kids probably think that FAā€™s have feelings

2 Likes

Who knows, but letā€™s not Digress onto That topic.

1 Like