What is the scariest fire alarm sound to you

Personally the simplex 4100u/es voice evac whoop and a simplex 2901-9838 mechanical horn are the two scariest fire alarm sounds to me because they are what I grew up with in school. I think that the alarm sound that you are used to is going to be the scariest and most attention getting for you.

1 Like

The Firecom 8500 tone is scary

2 Likes

I’ve heard the MASS, Classic, and Advance all at the same time back in high school. Those MASS appliances were on continuous as well as the mini horns on the outside while the rest of the appliances were on Temporal Code 3. Not to mention the Simplex TrueAlert and Wheelock AS at the same time too with the Advances as well. My high school had a different variety of NAs.

2 Likes

Faraday 5400/Simplex 4050; my former HS had them on continuous. Those horns scare the crap out of my friends. But they do a better job at clearing the building than most modern fire alarms.

2 Likes

Yeah I think the only thing better than them at clearing the building is voice evac that is loud enough be be heard. Sadly, this isn’t the case most of the time because the installers don’t usually do much to make sure it is loud enough. It is also important that the choose the proper message for the building so it helps people and doesn’t confuse them. I know this from experience. My school has a Simplex 4100U voice evac system with the modern Simplex whoop and a message that says “There is a fire emergency in the building. You are to leave the building by the nearest exit.” This fits the building well as it is only one floor and I feel that the whoop tone is the most effective tone the 4100u has to offer. It is barely audible in most of the building but very loud in some parts. When the alarm goes off in the quiet parts, people take their time walking out. I bet if teachers weren’t there to make them, they wouldn’t even go outside at all. When I am in the louder parts and people actually hear the message, they make an effort to actually get outside. I feel like modern electronic horns just don’t have the power to make people leave. Even if some of them are technically louder, they still sound weaker than electronic horns in comparison.

I personally think all Firecom voice evac whoop tones are scary, even the LSN-2000 whoop tone is scary. However, they also use a chime tone on the LSN-2000 which isn’t that scary. The also rebrand Wheelock Eluxa horn strobes and speakers

1 Like

this is why I hate the “robot voice” systems. The older fire alarms are designed to grab people’s attention. many people seem to ignore the modern fire alarms.

1 Like

For whatever reason, Siemens tones seem really unnerving and ominous. Particularly the code 3 tone. The whoop too bc it was used in the WTC

I guess I am kind of used to them because they are the number one brand in my area.

Gent warblers, no matter whether they’re chloride or not. These spooky trembling analog pitch-shifts are extremely unnerving.

3 Likes

Yes, can’t beat a Gent Warbler for loudest English fire alarm

I don’t live where they are used, but they seem to have an incredibly scary sound in videos.

1 Like