What is up with the images?

Hey that’s a great question: I didn’t properly test the import of images prior to actually transferring the forums. Many images that were external links DID copy in, however anything that used the “attachment” feature didn’t work. Let me explain:

The importer script was designed for phpBB 3.2, but we were on 3.3. I did have to make some minor adjustments to the script provided by Discourse to make the import happen. What I failed to realize was that images in phpBB 3.3 used a new format, where they gave the file name a unique identifier that was cross referenced in the phpBB database, previously it was a more simplified file system, and the simplified file system is what our import script was made for…

Now that being said, there is a solution. While I’m not too certain there’s an easy way to automate such a task, I am willing to take the time to manually replace missing images, as I have a backup of all the former attachments. I have started this process, but there are a few thousand pictures. It’s no small task, and it’ll take time, but I’ll do everything in my power to get it fixed!

NOTE: This is only due to phpBB images, if your post contains images post-Discourse migration, you are unaffected.

If your external image links don’t load properly, you may try to edit your post and re-enter the link which could fix the issue.

3 Likes

UPDATE: Only 849 more images to go… but who’s counting…

2 Likes

I tested uploading images from an iPad and it works fine but the images are a bit skewed and whatnot.

Can you show me where you see this?

Images are wildly sized.

It’s got them as their actual size, looks like it’s expected behavior. If you don’t like that they’ll next to each other like that, you can put one on each line which will space them out.

yeah sooo I’m using my school computer and the Images will not load at all on here.

That sounds like a filter issue.

Our images are hosted at cdn.thefirepanel.com (just an AWS CloudFront deployment pointing to our AWS S3 bucket for any technical people out there) so your school must be doing 1 of 2 things. Either:

1. Block the CDN url
  2. And more likely - Have some filtering to block cross-site image pulls. Some see this as a security measure, but it really just usually breaks websites

Also it could be that the filter is injecting itself in, and AWS doesn’t like that. I know that with the way our system is set up, Securly will try to inject itself into everything. Plus, on some of the devices there is a proxy installed to force things through securly if you are not on the district network. I usually have a hard time loading up sites that require cloud flare verification because it gets confused by securly.

Is it possible to use a custom DNS such as putting in a Private DNS into the browser? (DNS over HTTPS) usually that should fix it if it’s the DNS they’re hyjacking.

It all depends on how the system is set up. For example, I can bypass the filter on devices without the proxy by setting my DNS servers to 2 specifically of our AD domain controllers, because IMS and Network Services set up a script that is auto installed on staff devices to point the DNS there, and that bypasses the filter for the most part. It really all depends on how they implemented the filter. On my school iPad, I cannot bypass the filter, because the securly proxy is pushed in the MDM config. So you will have to check your settings. Also of note is that they could block those addresses of those dns servers.

Correct because i am using an Unblocker Right now and it works

1 Like

Thanks for the help Zach!