What to do when politics collides with fire safety?

So… as someone who’s non-partisan, I’m a very strong proponent of the no-politics rule - but what’s supposed to happen if a fire safety topic collides head-first with politics?

Unfortunately, this happened fairly recently. (I’m not going to mention exactly what I’m referring to, but I’m sure you can take a reasonable guess - it got a lot of media attention. It doesn’t involve this forum.)

I’m at a loss here, and would appreciate some advice from the moderators as to how situations like this should be handled.

politics rarely get brought up here and if it did and was starting to cause an issue, moderators would take care of the problem.

Would one example of this be the reduction of exits to schools because of the increasing # of school shootings?

I thought we were staying off politics…….

Would one example of this be the reduction of exits to schools because of the increasing # of school shootings?

My question is primarily not based on that (although would fall within the scope of this issue too).
The main reason for me asking my question is an incident that happened in a legislative office building last month.

Oh this? I’ve seen the memes while finding a Fire alarm Meme for Homeroom today!

1 Like

Why would he pull the fire alarm to open a a door? I’m not getting in to politics but just logic. In the rare occasion that they do have a manual release pull, it’s normal blue color to distinguish it from fire alarm pulls.
IMG_6730

In this example, while one can see it as political, it is not really dealing with politics, rather a political member who made a poor decision and violated the law.

All depends on prospective, and I have seen some topics on this forum which I would deem political, however that is moderators job, not mine.

I see no issue with this example, since everyone can agree that pulling the fire alarm is a childish move and anyone should be reprimanded for this.

As long as people aren’t mentioning politics in a political way (if that makes sense), I see no issue on discussing fire alarm systems within political buildings, and things of that nature.

I don’t know why they would reduce the number of exits being it creates less ways to escape the building, pretty much trapping everyone inside with the danger if the example you gave occurs.

oh, you’re talking about that one congressman who pulled a fire alarm? I actually did something similar in between semesters of my junior year of HS. I initially thought you were talking about reducing the number of exits to schools.

I think they’re doing that to reduce the number of ways a school shooter enters the building.

In this example, while one can see it as political, it is not really dealing with politics, rather a political member who made a poor decision and violated the law.

You’re certainly correct about that, but lots of discussion online blames partisan things.

As long as people aren’t mentioning politics in a political way (if that makes sense), I see no issue on discussing fire alarm systems within political buildings, and things of that nature.

I’m certainly not against that as long as no one starts saying things like “X politician did this, Y political party did that”. For what it’s worth, that meme posted earlier isn’t accurate as the building where that happened does not have a Simplex system. (it has a Notifier system)

Oh, I just found one of the meme that has the right system brand.

Granted a few other memes have different pull stations that are not Notifier. (seen below to list a few)

1 Like