What's the Shoddiest System You've Seen?

Out of all the systems you’ve seen, what one was the shoddiest, laziest, cheapest, or poorly put together system?

The laziest one I’ve seen was in the Holiday Inn with the double exit signs. BG-12 slapped where the old, non-ADA height 270-SPOs were.

A system my dad and his coworker installed themselves in 2003. 400,000 sqft manufacturing facility. Had 5 120V Edwards Integrity horns and one pull station in a small section of the offices, powered by a TrippLite UPS system.

All of the 13 sprinkler risers were monitored by one of four security systems spread around the building. Nothing was connected together, and there were no audible devices.

Considering the building is going to be demolished and we salvaged the majority of this system, I guess it isn’t a problem now :lol:

Better question should be “when do you come across systems that are actually done correctly?” There is so much sloppy work out there it’s scary. I know I’ve posted some pretty sketchy work I’ve come across on here. Look back at some of my previous posts and you’ll see. Yesterday, I saw this fine example of workmanship. How anyone installs this, steps back and looks at it, and is PROUD of their job, is beyond me.

That’s a pretty bad job. It looks like it could be possible to just flush mount that device (as long as there is a back box in the wall)?

Looks like somebody was trying to use up their old stock of BG-10 back boxes.

That only happens on a Friday at quitting time.

Actually, the other pulls in the building were BG-10’s. So probably a replacement for a broken one. They just didn’t bother to switch out the back box.

Allow me.

Welcome to the Northern Kentucky Ice Center, located in Crescent Springs, KY within walking distance of my house. As I was first walking towards the door, i didn’t expect this place to have a system at all. Well, it did. The system was in dismay: Smoke detectors hanging off the ceiling (1400’s at that!), spray painted strobes, and much more. You know what, let’s just get some pictures going…

First off we have an Edwards 892 with a spray painted strobe. With it already being non-ADA, I don’t think you would see that very much at all.

Next up we’ve got an Edwards 270-SPO, which isn’t really all that bad other than a bit of paint.

There are two i3’s in the snack bar area.

Now we get to the ice rink smokes. The ceiling is very high up off of the ground, and there are ionization smokes, such as this 1400. You could have a bonfire and that thing probably wouldn’t activate.

I wonder what went here…

And then check this one out. Definitely some below-code FPL there.

Here’s a particularly dirty System Sensor 2100T.

Here’s a smoke that’s in decent condition.

Oh boy. Exposed FPL and that 2400 isn’t even on its base. Can it get any worse than that?

Of course it can. Check out this low hanging 1400.

Everything here checks out other than the corroded backbox.

More exposed FPL and shabby looking detectors.

Here’s a rusty heat detector.

Another low hanger, but not as bad this time.

This SpectrAlert definitley does NOT need that many backboxes.

And that’s it. I don’t even know anymore. I’ll just see what you all say.

“System” being used as a very loose term here, I see. :lol:

Disregarding the obvious code issues and such, how can anybody not even remotely familiar with fire protection systems allow that to be present in their building?? Who would honestly be able to walk into their facility in the morning, look up at those detectors, and think “we’re open for business” without a second thought?

You would think at some point the owner would have felt some accountability for the condition of their equipment.

I’ve seen a few suspect installations from time to time. Here’s a short little video I took of a Bosch Radionics pull station a few months ago at a Dollar Tree in Stillwater:

But boy howdy, I’ve seen some shoddy stuff, anywhere from Spectralerts mounted upside-down to an Integrity strobe body falling off the rest of the signal to horribly dirty smokes… I’ve just never taken pictures of them!

I think we can all agree (as of now) that 4j25 is the winner for shoddiest “system”.

I wasn’t aware that this was a competition! :lol:

At least it looks like they wired it through!

Looks like it may have some water damage too.

That’s a new feature - smoke detectors that are on a winch that you can lower to make cleaning easy! Awaiting UL approval.

Maybe they got paid by the backbox? I would imagine whatever was there before probably had a big back end. Add the 14 gauge wiring (who knows how many conductors are in that conduit) and those boxes fill up rather quickly. Great places for ground faults!

But in all seriousness, that is definitely a system that has not been maintained. I wonder if the thing is even powered up! I also noticed the smoke detectors lack back boxes. The older systems or the ones that were installed on the fly seem to be the ones where they got away with that. The exposed wiring isn’t really a big deal, other than it’s lacking appropriate supports to keep it in place. You want to protect it in conduit up to a certain height or in areas subject to mechanical damage, but the ceiling on an ice rink is fine. Just look up at any big box store with an open ceiling.

Here you go 4j25 - saw this one today and thought of you!

Is that a Radionics POPIT module stuffed behind the detector?

Haha, I just read all the things you said Lambda! You just made my day. As far as “is it powered,” I’m not sure. Here’s the panel, there are no visible lights, but I think the power light is covered at this angle. (Surprised the trouble light isn’t on)

Wonder is the Zamboni maintained better than alarm system?

It was a Radionics panel so yeah. Don’t know if it was for the smoke or something else.

Should be able to see the green LED from straight on. Sometimes a little dim but there. That angle it would be hard to tell.

Probably… But really, who the hell thinks this system is acceptable. Reminds me of the time I went to DestiNY Mall and most of the fire alarm panels (for the individual stores) were off. Don’t get me started on their Simplex system!