What's the Shoddiest System You've Seen?

Sorry to bump, this needs more attention, but I have a serious fail.

Just… Wow, who finds this acceptable?

That reminds me of a call point I saw at a building in Aruba. The whole system was a mess and seemed neglected (with broken call points everywhere). Ironically, it looks like the Stopper was installed after the call point had been smashed.

1 Like

I know this is a few months old, a lot of topics have been abandoned since the server crash, but I have something to add. A local K-Mart has only a Vibratone x50 horn painted white and a grey Edwards AdaptaBell. I think there was a pull originally in the building, but was probably removed due to the store being in the bad part of town. I haven’t seen anything else worthy of this thread, but I have a feeling other users may. Finally, can I request a sticky on this?

My local Kmart is like such. There’s a red Federal Signals horn on the back wall and a gray Edwards AdaptaBell on one of the polls. There are no pull stations. The store is old. It was built sometime in the 1970s.

Here’s one on good ol’ YouTube!

Checks out, only bad thing is an eyesore.
Or this one?

A kid could who knows how to wire and use a screwdriver could do a better job! Not to mention:

being on the alarm?

The fact that people find this acceptable is scary. Anyone else have something to share?

[offtopic]Wasn’t this stickied before the server crash?[/offtopic]

I personally believe this topic should not be stickied. I just don’t think it’s necessary. We are trying to glorify fire alarms here, not to point out their flaws. Plus, we can’t sticky every single topic, or else it will lose all of its meaning. That’s just my opinion. I am not backseat moderating.

Okay, if a mod agrees with Green, then don’t sticky this.

Agreed.

Anyway, I will try and get some pictures tomorrow of a system that I have heard about in my area, it’s gonna be a surprise. But what I can tell you, some of you will have probably never seen the type of alarm before.

Saw this at the condo where I was staying on vacation. Can anyone spot the problem here?

On a side note, many of the horns were installed like this:

There’s no door or dress panel? Exit sign is not lit?

EDIT: I just noticed that the transformer is disconnected!

So, if an inspector stayed there (not for an inspection), and noticed it powered off, could the condominium be written up?

Not if he doesn’t have jurisdiction… He could file a complaint with the town, but can’t write it up himself, I’m guessing.

So (from my understanding) if Jen Eric Naime (pun of generic name), of Anytown, USA, found a violation within her jurisdiction, but wasn’t inspecting the building, she could write them up?

Remember, the “inspectors” in most cases are employed by fire protection companies who are hired to perform inspections. I doubt many villages have a “fire alarm inspector” roaming around the town, those duties are left up to the office of the fire marshal.