Wheelock VS Fire Alarm Community

WHEELOCK HAS DISCONTINUED ALL OF THEIR XENON DEVICES! THE WHEELOCK EXCEDER, MT, HS, E50, E70, E90, AND ALL OF THEIR DEVICES OUT OF THE ELUXA SERIES HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED! FIRST EST, THEN SYSTEM SENSOR, NOW WHEELOCK? FIRE ALARMISTS UNITE!
https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/products/safety-security-emergency-communications/lsmns/wheelock/product-discontinuation/Xenon%20Tube%20Cessation.pdf

• BRING EVERYTHING BACK
  • don’t mind
0 voters

Xenon Tube Cessation.pdf (112.1 KB)
@TheAlmightyZach REOPEN PLEASE!

1 Like

It makes sense from a business perspective to do that since LED strobes are starting to become the norm: they likely neither know nor care about us in the community. Calm down (granted I wish that Wheelock wasn’t under the control of the tyrannical Eaton Corporation, but otherwise I suppose things could be worse). Besides, there will still be plenty of xenon devices for us to collect: just because Wheelock discontinued them doesn’t mean all existing ones will suddenly disappear (if anything we’re helping to ensure Wheelock’s xenon devices will, in a way, live on, even if they won’t be produced or installed anymore).

3 Likes

This is the nature of technology. For the same reason we don’t have new devices with incandescent bulbs, LED technology is superseding Xenon strobes. Just the circle of life.

2 Likes

Yes, in fact when I set up my fire alarm manufacturing company, we will make devices with LED strobes

Mhm: given they’ll be the only kind of strobe manufacturers make in probably only a few years (because of all the advantages they bring) that would be my plan too (making devices with only LED strobes that is: xenon worked for decades but we have a better kind of strobe nowdays so we might as well use it).

1 Like

Definitely agree with that

You sure about the Exceder? It appears to say that the devices in bold are being discontinued. The Legacy Exceder, Legacy Chime, and Legacy MT are unbolded. I hope that this doesn’t happen with Gentex.

1 Like

Yes, it does say that, but I believe the non-bolded ones have already been discontinued (especially given the “Eluxa version available now” text next to them: no point in making them when there’s a successor).

Even if Gentex ends up doing the same thing (which they might given everyone’s going to LED strobes) I at least hope they keep the 4-wire nature of their products (which will help cut down on the number of devices that need to be made: for instance their current 4-wire devices work fine for both 2 & 4-wire applications: you only need one of each model for either case since the “wire mode” can be configured with DIP switches: no need for separate 2 & 4-wire devices like what System Sensor is doing).

1 Like

Makes sense. Although, Eaton still has it listed on their website despite possibly being discontinued.

1 Like

Here’s another thing I also should’ve put!
WE ONLY HAVE ONE MORE COMPANY WITH ICONICNESS COMBINING GENERICNESS!: GENTEX!

It mentions in the PDF that all XENON models are now replaced with ELUXAs

Bro, why bash a company just for evolving with the times

What about the 31T? Nostalgia lies in that!

Also, I’m wondering if this whole discussion was necessary

• Yes
  • Maybe
  • Don’t know
  • Absolutely not
0 voters

No company cares about what the average enthusiast wants, they are all just going to stick to the business model that every other company is doing which is manufacturing LED fire alarms, making this discussion sound rather obsessive.

5 Likes

Fax have been spoken by you

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

2 Likes

83% have decided this discussion is unnecessary

This discussion is completely unnecessary.

1 Like

Exactly, this topic is just pointless and only proves that LED strobes are the way forward
Suggesting a mod close this topic