Which smoke detectors are good on homemade fire alarm panels?

Since I have a homemade fire alarm panel out of a Arduino, I need to know that which smoke detectors are good for homemade panels like mine. I know four wire smoke detectors are compatible on all fire alarm panels, and security systems.

Also, can I wire a relay in-series on the negative side of a base determined detector? Is it safe?

Thanks

1 Like

Can you provide more information on your homemade panel? How does it work right now?

Its a still work in progress panel, but it has seven zones (it used to be four, because I upgraded using the IDE code that I have) a horn nac for silencing the horns (when silence button is pressed which keeps the strobes going, until reset), a strobe nac, a resettable smoke power (9v as of now) and a whole lot of stuff on it, which is a lot to tell about. But it acts like a regular conventional FACP as I programmed it via the Arduino IDE.

1 Like

Sounds to me you’d want a System Sensor 4w-b. It has 2 terminals for re-settable power and 3 terminals for zone only (3 for tamper supervision). It will also operate between 9v and 28v DC. This is good if your zone is just a dry contact. If your zone is capable of outputting 9v DC and dropping power on reset then a 2w-b would work as well.

EDIT: I must add though that you’ll need a 12v smoke for this application. 24v smokes will NOT work on your setup. Stay away from simplex conventional smokes. They ONLY operate on 24v DC.

3 Likes

Well, I could upgrade the voltage on the resettable power on the smoke power terminals to 12v or 16v. I also have a 19.5v laptop power supply that I can use a 24v smoke detector. But if I’m going to use a 12v smoke detector, then I need a 24v to 12v step down converter to have proper voltage to the 12v smoke detector.

Also, will a 19.5v laptop power supply work with 24v detectors?

19.5v DC is around the cutoff so yes it should work for “most” 24v DC detectors. Sounds to me that you’ll want to use 4 wire detectors as your current system can support that.

Just an update, I put a 24V 4A power supply for the smoke power and the horn and strobes.