yellow fire alarms.

This is actually on the very new Manta ride in San Diego. I’ve never been to the SeaWorld in San Diego, but that appears to be a Wheelock NS. I realize the NS has been discontinued, but for how long? The installer may have had these in storage.
[/quote]

Since 2010. Such is the year that the NS as well as the AS were discontinued. So they haven’t been discontinued for very long.

Voice evac is required for amusement parks these day as well as malls and movie theaters due to the high occupancy. All those people need instructions, which horns won’t give.

So does that mean that all amusement parks that had horns have to have them replaced?

Source?

Probably not. If installed and approved under the code back then it can stay unless there are major renovations. Just like buildings without strobes, it was up to code when installed.

Yeah, I’ve heard about an apartment building that was built before fire alarm systems were required to be installed in them, so the building was allowed to have no system.

Yeah. It probably just means that if the system is to be replaced, it would have to be replaced with a voice evac system.

Yes, that is probably what has to happen.

spot the clear strobe lens

Is is that thing on the wall behind the fake person?

Let me try this again.

I don’t want any invalid claims on here.

Okay. I’ll admit that I don’t have a source for this claim. It may not be right.

This article mentions fire alarm voice evac being mandatory for large places, though just in Europe. It says nothing about the United States. However it might be wrong. Wikipedia is not the best source for information.

Fire alarm system - Wikipedia states about speakers:

[quote] High reliability speakers are used to notify the occupants of the need for action in connection with a fire or other emergency. These speakers are employed in large facilities where general undirected evacuation is considered impracticable or undesirable [/quote]

Though again Wikipedia is not the best source.

I was wondering, because of those theme parks I’ve been to with horn/strobes. I’ve also been to malls with horn/strobes. Only the food court has voice evac in one of them. Movie theaters always have voice evac, but that is probably by choice.

You really can’t make generalizations like that since the requirements will be different wherever you go. I know of multiple movie theaters where I live that have horn/strobes, for example. Also, I don’t know if some places would choose to have voice evac if they didn’t have to because of the extra cost.

I’ve heard of a movie theater that just had horn/strobes in the hallways, not in the theater rooms. You’d barely be able to hear them over the sound of the movie playing.

Were there at least remote strobes in the theaters? I personally think voice evac isn’t the best for movie theaters, unless it is MUCH louder than the movie. The sound of a voice or whoop can be hard to comprehend with the sound of a movie.

Apparantly not. Someone on this forum once stated that they were at that theater when the alarms went off. They stated that someone heard some noise coming from outside the theater room, but had no idea what it was. Later an employee manually came into the theater room and told everyone that they needed to evacuate as no one in there could hear the alarm going off over the sound of the movie. It turned out to be a false alarm.

I’ve never been to this movie theater. I just heard someone talk about it on this forum.

Oh. That shouldn’t be legal.

If they are gonna have horns outside in the hallways of theater, they should at least put strobes in the actually theater.