Delayed startup with the air conditioner

Talk about anything in this section.
Retired STR-SG

Mon May 21, 2018 12:52 pm

Update. I wanted to be sure the condensate pan clean up and the chemical tablets took care of my overflow issue. Instead of reconnecting the pipe to the outside I let the water drip into a bucket. I got the unit back in service around noon. From then to 8 PM the bucket filled to the 2 gallon mark. I emptied bucket and since 8 last night it is up to a little over 5 quarts. So in 24 hours that is 3 and 1/4 gallons of condensate water. That gives you some idea of how much moisture an AC takes out of the air.
firealarmveteran15
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:23 am

Update: we actually managed to get a brand new A/C unit, which is a Carrier Infinity series. We also had to replace the Honeywell thermostat that was previously responsible for controlling the now old A/C unit as well as one zone of the heating system, however, the other Honeywell thermostat that only controlled the other zone of the house for heat is still intact. Carrier does have an app for that, but my dad says that it's not exactly secure, understandably.

(You have no idea how desperate I was to regain access to the forum just to tell you about this)

Here's a rundown of what happened this past week:

Tuesday (6/19): Had two service people come in to take a look at the A/C unit as well as the one outside. According to one of the service people, the numbers for certain parameters (I don't remember the exact numbers) were "off the charts". Because of this, he said that the A/C unit needed to be replaced entirely as that said A/C unit was about 25 years old (which was several years before sometime in 1997 when we moved to the house we still live in; I think I overheard that the unit is from 1991, but not sure about that).

Before the service people had left, an appointment was made for the next day.

Wednesday (6/20): Another service person came in at around 6PM to discuss options for new A/C units with my parents. There was eventually an agreement on what option was best (see top of post).

Thursday (6/21): This was when the A/C replacement took place, and I didn't even expect that to happen the day after the appointment -- especially at around 8:00 in the morning. Then, shortly after that, another ceiling vent was added in the family room (not sure why though).

Friday (6/22): Even though the new A/C was installed, there was another service person that came in to clean out all of the air vents in the house.

The only thing left to do is to put in new filters, other than that, I think we're good (I was out of town at the time of posting this). There should not be any more startup issues as well as water leakage issues.