Revert the forum theme

Got a suggestion for the site, or got some feedback? Feel free to post it right here.
TheAlmightyZach
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Zachary Fleck
Instagram: zfleckfiretech

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:49 am

Alexis_T wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:46 am
It does allow local theme switching, à few forums I am registered on have multiple website themes that you can choose.
Unless I missed something during our testing phase, due to the nature of this theme in particular, I do not believe there is a way for us to offer multiple variants of this theme, at least not at this time. I will, however, look into it with the team to see if a dark theme may somehow be an option.
Zach - Administrator
Fire Alarm Technician for a local company in the Chicago Area.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ZacharyFleck
Synther
New Participant
New Participant
YouTube Username: Tristan Gillett

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:22 am

Why are you guys changing everything? Why cant you just stick with the old theme?
Synther
New Participant
New Participant

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:26 am

The icons are too big in this new theme, and its hard to navigate around the site. Half the site is using the old theme, while the other half is using the current one. The new theme is also overly-complicated. As far as I know, this new theme was completely unasked for, and you guys made the decision without asking the rest of the people who actually use the site.
Last edited by kcin556 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disrespect to moderation staff member
Synther
New Participant
New Participant

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:32 am

Because editing posts apparently no-longer exists, ill just make a new post.
There isnt a "mark forums read" button. Just another reason to do away with the new theme...
TheAlmightyZach
Administrator
Administrator

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:30 am

Synther wrote:
There isnt a "mark forums read" button. Just another reason to do away with the new theme...
I can say wholeheartedly that regardless of themes, the ability to edit or delete posts has been limited. I recall sometime within the past year when I actually had to have a moderator edit a post for me as well.

The old theme was the default phpBB theme, and was really never intended to be the theme of the forums, but happened to be there when the server crash happened in 2016. We instead opted to go with a theme that is more mobile friendly, more modern, and brings a fresh but fitting look to the forums.

You stated two issues. Regarding the old and new theme being mixed together in different areas, this should not be the case. Your browser may have cached the old version, which might just need you to clear your cache or try to refresh the page. If you still have issues, however, please let us know where you are seeing the old theme.

As for the mark forum as read button, this is something that we can admit and say we didn’t notice it was missing. However, this doesn’t mean that we can’t add it ourselves here, so we will look into what is necessary and I’m sure we can get that button back in the near future.

We do appreciate feedback, but it is important to know that in life, things change, and sometimes that change will be out of our control. If we can’t learn to adapt to change and just go with the flow, then life wouldn’t be all that enjoyable, as we live in an ever changing world.
Zach - Administrator
Retired STR-SG

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:01 am

I opened the MCP to move Synther's intro post to the correct forum and thread and something needs more work. See attached screen shot.
Attachments
MCP_view.png
MCP_view.png (52.87 KiB) Viewed 253 times
Robert A
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Aslin Fire Safety

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:18 am

I for one welcome the new theme. It looks clean and logical.
Robert Aslin
My YouTube Channel | Aslin Fire Safety
If you need to contact me for any reason, you may email me at aslinrobert15(at)gmail.com.
Destin
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
YouTube Username: thesdx

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:07 pm

Nice work staff! It's great to have a custom theme again. I know how much of a pain it can be to work out the bugs with a custom phpBB theme. Everyone, please just give them some time and patience. :wink:
Synther wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:26 am
As far as I know, this new theme was completely unasked for, and you guys made the decision without asking the rest of the people who actually use the site.
Synther, if you look in the suggestion box, you'll see that multiple users have requested a new theme since 2015. It's been on the staff's to-do list for quite some time. I tried to address it when I was an admin, but never really had the time to figure things out. I'm glad to see that the new staff is taking great care of the forum since I retired.
Destin L. (thesdx)
My Website — FireAlarmCollector.com
My YouTube Channel
I'm no longer very active on here, but if you wish to contact me, feel free to send me a PM. :wink:
Alexis_T
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:15 pm

TheAlmightyZach wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:49 am
Alexis_T wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:46 am
It does allow local theme switching, à few forums I am registered on have multiple website themes that you can choose.
Unless I missed something during our testing phase, due to the nature of this theme in particular, I do not believe there is a way for us to offer multiple variants of this theme, at least not at this time. I will, however, look into it with the team to see if a dark theme may somehow be an option.
This is weird... Normally there's a drop-down to change which theme you're using, if it's not here Maybe a config file somewhere (last time I tinkered with Phpbb that was like... Something as long as the Chinese wall) must be disabling it.
Hello from France!
If you see someone with my real name (Alexis Trinquet) without the uppercase A and T commenting on any of your videos please just ignore them.
Devices in my collection: too much to count and still counting..!
TheAlmightyZach
Administrator
Administrator

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Alexis_T wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:15 pm
This is weird... Normally there's a drop-down to change which theme you're using, if it's not here Maybe a config file somewhere (last time I tinkered with Phpbb that was like... Something as long as the Chinese wall) must be disabling it.
You’re right, but this theme works a little differently. We’d have to install not only a second version of the theme, but also an extension. It is something we will be testing, because I also like the idea of a dark theme.
Zach - Administrator
TheAlmightyZach
Administrator
Administrator

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Retired STR-SG wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:01 am
I opened the MCP to move Synther's intro post to the correct forum and thread and something needs more work. See attached screen shot.
This is... yeah we’ll work on that.
Zach - Administrator
firealarmveteran15
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:08 pm

TheAlmightyZach wrote:
As for the mark forum as read button, this is something that we can admit and say we didn’t notice it was missing. However, this doesn’t mean that we can’t add it ourselves here, so we will look into what is necessary and I’m sure we can get that button back in the near future.
For the longest time, I was going to suggest a feature where a user can mark individual topics as read. Don't know about anyone else here, but there are quite a few topics that I really don't care about. Sure, I could just open the new topic in a new tab and then close it immediately (and/or go through all topics I care about and mark the rest as unread), but I feel like it's not worth it for me personally.
TheAlmightyZach
Administrator
Administrator

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:02 pm

firealarmveteran15 wrote:
For the longest time, I was going to suggest a feature where a user can mark individual topics as read. Don't know about anyone else here, but there are quite a few topics that I really don't care about. Sure, I could just open the new topic in a new tab and then close it immediately (and/or go through all topics I care about and mark the rest as unread), but I feel like it's not worth it for me personally.
Not too sure that's an option due to the nature of the software we use, phpBB, to run the site. You can always unfollow a topic, but I understand that is not what you're really looking for. We'll look into it, but I can't make any promises of anything.
Zach - Administrator
DownsLife+Safety
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: DownsLife&Safety

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:35 pm

firealarmveteran15 wrote:
TheAlmightyZach wrote:
I have never heard of such a feature in any forum that I've been on; it's likely pretty rare for such a feature to pop up on a basic forum due to its limitations.
(oooh, there's an auto-expand feature so if you have tons of paragraphs it'll lengthen the height of the text box? How nice).
Synther wrote:
You apparently have the "New Participant" rank. By default, those who do not achieve standard status can't edit posts.
DownsLife&Safety ~ Inspiring to live safer lives
Find my YouTube Channel Here!

Also a noob at fire alarm systems. :P
Synther
New Participant
New Participant

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:20 pm

Can you guys at least add the option to switch back to the old theme?