Make Up a System (2.0)

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Sun May 06, 2018 4:06 pm

The last of the 700 student elementary schools.
In most of the school, the alarms are Wheelock 7002T horn/strobes

Located in the social worker's office is a Wheelock 7001T horn/strobe

One room, the guidance office has a Wheelock 34T horn on a Space Age Electronics AV32 light plate

Over in the media center and the psychologist's office, the alarms there are a Space Age Electronic VA4 horn/strobe

The reading classroom and the 4th/5th exceptional children classroom has a Wheelock ZNS horn/strobe

Finally the stage in the multi-purpose room has Wheelock Exceeders
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
Fire alarms are cool
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Fri May 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Smiley Face Middle School was built in 2000. The buildings alarms where Simplex Truealerts, pulls where Simplex T bars, and the class alarms where simplex truealert strobes.. In 2010 A truealert caught fire because of wiring troubles. They put an EST integrity up. Later that year, an Edwards heat detector in the science room activated because of a chemical fire. It was replaced with a new one. The gym alarms where replaced due to lead paint. The new alarms where EST integrity speaker strobes and the pulls where GE 270-SPOs. The voice evac panel was an EVAX Panel.Most classroom alarms where replaced to EST intergrity strobes. This is how it remains to this day.
I love EST, Radioinics, Simplex, Siemens, Gentex, and Wheelock.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat May 19, 2018 6:26 am

This school is a 690 student elementary school.
Most of the alarms in the school which are for the most part in the hallways are Wheelock 7001s

The main entrance of the school however has an Edwards 792

The DPT's office has a Gentex GMS horn/strobe

The computer lab has a Space Age Electronics AV32 horn on an AV32 light plate

The music classroom has a Wheelock AES

Finally the fourth and fifth grade hallways have Wheelock NSs
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Fri May 25, 2018 10:27 am

Joshua Yeersen middle school was built in 1978 with a Simplex 4207 system. Alarms featured were Wheelock V7001 horn strobes in some corridors spaced far apart, two in the gym, and one in the cafeteria. Large rooms in the school like the band/choir room got Wheelock WST strobes, and so did the library, receiving SIX WSTs (they all were all the version with the Wheelock Logo under the strobe). No smoke detectors were in the building yet, but all pulls were Simplex 4251-1s under each corridor V7001.

From then to 1983, 2 V7001s that broke down were replaced by a regular 7001T.

After that, one broken V7001 was replaced by Wheelock ES-BH1-WS-24 (electronic 7001T)

In 1989, the school installed strobes in each classroom, bathroom, and some offices spaces for added coverage. They were all WM3T-24s.

In 1995, some classrooms were completely renovated. They received Wheelock LSM strobes.

In 2001, the system finally failed, so it was replaced by a newer Notifier AFP-200 system with more Wheelock alarms, this time Wheelock ASs and RSSs. ASs were installed in the hallways, larger classrooms, library (three of them but only near the entrance and the two exit doors), new computer lab, two in the cafeteria and four in the gym, and one in a large office. RSS strobes were installed in classrooms, bathrooms, smaller office areas, and extra strobe coverage in the gym, cafeteria, and an extra in the computer lab. Pulls are NBG-12s and smokes are System Sensor 2400s.

In 2008, the cafeteria was remodeled to be more student-appealing, resulting the AS/RSSes to be removed from here and replaced with white Wheelock ZNS horn/strobes. Smoke detectors are Fire-Lite SD355s.

Additionally, some classrooms were renovated to be divided classrooms. This resulted in Wheelock ZRS strobes taking the old RSS's place.

In 2010, all 2400s are removed and replaced by Fire-Lite SD355s.

2010 TO 2018 LATER
draw
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat May 26, 2018 2:08 am

This elementary school holds 681 students.
Siemens U-HNH horn/strobes are in the majority of the school

Federal Signal 450D horns with VALS strobes are found in the computer technology office and academic support classroom

Faraday 5940 horn on a Space Age Electronics AV32 light plate is in the spanish classroom

Simplex 4903-9237 horn/strobes are in the computer lab, cafeteria and gymnasium and surrounding hallway and the social worker's office

Gentex Commander 3s are in the art classroom, the behaviorist's office and outside the main entrance

Classic SpectrAlert is in the writing classroom
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sat May 26, 2018 9:25 am

Alright, I'm continuing.

In 2011, a few bathrooms were renovated, they now had ceiling mount Exceeder strobes. Locker rooms, the main office, entrance doors, etc. that were overdue for alarms received ceiling exceeder horn/strobes, though the locker room's bathroom got a strobe.

In 2014, three classrooms were changed to be an all-purpose room for Special Education kids, with two small offices for Special Ed teachers. The room itself was given one Wheelock Exceeder ceiling horn/strobe, while the offices had wall mounted strobes. One SD355 was installed in this room.

In 2016, another side office was built near the cafeteria for teachers to eat food while working. This room was given one Wheelock E60A-24MCC-ALW speaker/strobe, however the speaker mechanism obviously isn't wired in yet. One pull was put near the door on the exterior, a NBG-12.

Over the summer of 2018, the entire set of alarms and system changed. In the place of the Notifier AFP-200, there is now a Notifier NFS2-640 system. New devices are Wheelock E60A-24MCC-ALWs and E50A-24MCW-ALWs, ceiling mounted being devices are installed in hallways, all classrooms, the large office from earlier, 4 in the library, 2 in the locker rooms, and the computer lab. Wall mounted alarms are mounted in the cafeteria where the original ZNSs were, with a couple added ceiling speaker strobes. The gym, however, received 4 E60AH high-fidelity speaker strobes. Everywhere else, like bathrooms or other areas for extra strobe coverage received RSSA-24MCW-ALW remote strobes and it's ceiling mount variant.Smokes and pulls are the same thing, although there were more added.
draw
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat May 26, 2018 7:08 pm

Yes. Please do continue. I love putting these things together. They are my favorite pastime. It is something I really do enjoy. I love it when I see new posts because then I can make a new post. Also I love reading up about different systems people come up with.

Anyway, this elementary school holds 658 students and is set up like this.
In most of the school, the alarms are Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 light plates

Located in the renovated auditorium, there are Space Age Electronics VA4 horn/strobes

One classroom, the one used for exceptional children has a Wheelock 7002T that replaced the 4051+4050-80 in there that broke down

Over in the main office, which was damaged by fire in the 1990s, the horn that was put in there was a Simplex 2901-9806 horn on a 4903-9101 strobe plate

The upgraded science lab has a SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobe

Finally, the media center has Edwards Genesis horn/strobe
EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: EpicFireAlarms

Sun May 27, 2018 9:57 pm

I'm gonna try something a little different today... almost like a game. Find out how to play below!

A two-story school was originally built in 1961. The 32,000 square-foot school consisted of two large hallways running parallel to one another, with the cafeteria, gymnasium, and auditorium in the middle of the two hallways. Outside of the main hallways, smaller "outer" hallways formed small blocks separated by subject (Math, LA, etc.). On the second floor, which exclusively housed the elective classes, there was just one hallway that stretched about half of the length of the school.

The fire alarm system installed initially was an old Edwards coded system, with Edwards 881-series flush-mount Adaptahorns as the primary notification appliances. These were installed down each of the main hallways (three per hallway), two in the gymnasium, two in the auditorium, and one in the cafeteria. Additionally, two horns were installed in the upstairs hallway, along with one horn in the band/orchestra room. As for pull stations, the larger coded version of the 270-SPO was chosen (I can't remember the actual model number). Seven of these were installed in total, with four being installed in each corner of the main hallways, one being installed in the gymnasium, one being installed backstage in the auditorium, and one being installed in the upstairs hallway near the staircase. These pull stations were coded to code-4 (4-4-4?). No smoke or heat detectors at this point.

In 1968, an Edwards Adaptahorn broke down and was replaced with a Simplex 4040 horn. Just one year later, a second Adaptahorn died and was also replaced with a 4040.

Now, this "game" that I'm gonna start is a little different... I want a different user to post what happens to the school and system in each of the following decades. For example, my goal is for one user to post what occurs with this school and this system in the 1970s, while another will pitch in with the 1980s, and so on, until we hit present day. Feel free to get as creative as possible, and if you disagree with a different user's decisions regarding the system, feel free to post an alternate from the same decade (just remember to reply with which system you want to change!). My goal is to make this as crazy as possible, and hopefully bring some of the inter-user collaboration that this topic once had back again.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Mon May 28, 2018 2:11 am

In 1974, the horn in the band/orchestra classroom was replaced with a Simplex 4050

Next we have an elementary school that has 650 students.
Wheelock 7002Ts = Hallways

Edwards 892-2Bs = Project classroom and social worker's office

Faraday 6120 = Computer lab

Standard 450 horn on a Standard 450 light plate = Resource classroom that can be split with a wall divider

Gentex GX-90 = Art classroom

Wheelock MT-24 = OT/PT office
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Mon May 28, 2018 9:58 pm

In 1988, the school was due for a new system, so they settled on Simplex due to the direction they were going in. A Simplex 4002 was installed with Simplex 2903-9101 strobe plates housing 2901-9806 horns. Three of these were installed in both parallel hallways, with two being put inside the cafeteria and four in the second floor hallway. Four were installed on each wall in the gym, but three were put in the auditorium, one on each side wall and one above the entrance door. All corners of the classroom hallways received an alarm, with extras in spaces very far away from NAs. The band/orchestra room, the weight room, the dance rooms, and any other large classroom elective all received one horn/strobe. In normal classrooms, Simplex GX90-4Rs were installed on the ceiling near the door or somewhere on the wall in most classrooms, although some smaller classrooms had no horns. The large bathroom area near the cafeteria and the locker rooms also had Simplex GX90s, while every other bathroom did not. Smokes are scattered scarcely, being Simplex Wiffleballs, and pulls are 4251-50s put in roughly the same areas, I'll bet lowered.
draw
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Tue May 29, 2018 6:37 am

In 1992, the 2903+9806 in the FACS kitchen broke down and was replaced with a 2901-9838 on a 4903-9101 strobe plate.

Now onto the last 650 student elementary school.
In most of the school, the alarms are Edwards 881D Adaptahorns on Edwards 891D light plates

Located in the larger computer lab and the technology classroom are Edwards 895B-001 horn/strobes

Two rooms, the 3rd–5th exceptional children classroom and the OT/PT office have Edwards 892-2B horn/strobes

Over in the media center is an Edwards 792 horn/strobe

The resource classroom has a classic SpectrAlert

Finally, the ESL classroom has a Wheelock NS
thegeet
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: Cesar Blanco

Wed May 30, 2018 12:28 pm

In Early 2000, the weight room's 4903-9101+2901-9838 combo stopped functioning. It was replaced with a 4903-9219.
#marshalbattsismyidol
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Wed May 30, 2018 2:05 pm

thegeet wrote:
The weight room's 4903-9101+2901-9838 combo stopped functioning.
you mean 2903/9806 combo?

Anyways, in 2010, a few classrooms were either renovated or had a wall between two classrooms replaced with a divider. Every classroom with this change was completely revamped, and with that came new alarms, Simplex 4901-9858 mini-horns right next to the doors. Also, each classroom and bathroom received TrueAlert strobes, mounted close to a mini-horn if there is one. Some rooms without alarms (a couple classrooms with no alarm got the -9858 + TrueAlert strobe too. Lots of other rooms and spaces received either TrueAlert horn/strobes or remote strobes depending on the size of the room. Most pulls are updated to 4099-9003s and smokes to TrueAlarms.
draw
thegeet
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: Cesar Blanco

Wed May 30, 2018 3:22 pm

idontwannaknow wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:05 pm
thegeet wrote:
The weight room's 4903-9101+2901-9838 combo stopped functioning.
you mean 2903/9806 combo?

Anyways, in 2010, a few classrooms were either renovated or had a wall between two classrooms replaced with a divider. Every classroom with this change was completely revamped, and with that came new alarms, Simplex 4901-9858 mini-horns right next to the doors. Also, each classroom and bathroom received TrueAlert strobes, mounted close to a mini-horn if there is one. Some rooms without alarms (a couple classrooms with no alarm got the -9858 + TrueAlert strobe too. Lots of other rooms and spaces received either TrueAlert horn/strobes or remote strobes depending on the size of the room. Most pulls are updated to 4099-9003s and smokes to TrueAlarms.
Yes my bad.
#marshalbattsismyidol
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Wed May 30, 2018 6:54 pm

Now we have a 638 student elementary school
In most of the school, the alarms are Edwards 892-2B horn/strobes

Located in the kindergarten instructional kitchen and the reading classroom are Simplex 4903-9219 horn/strobes

One room, the cafeteria has Space Age Electronics VA4 horn/strobes

Over in the self-contained classroom, the alarm is a Faraday 6020 behind a Space Age Electronics AV34 strobe plate

The exterior of the gymnasium has Edwards Integrities horn/strobes

Finally, both the sole preschool classroom and the art classroom have Edwards Genesis horn/strobes