After what happened yesterday, my questions remain about traditional FA systems and our response to them.

I most certainly agree. We have pull stations every 50 feet around here. If someone was to pull the fire alarm during an active shooting, everyone (except me) would run out into the hall and get shot. It’s really sad to think about. Maybe someone should get on the PA if they go off during a shooting and say ‘do NOT evacuate. Do NOT leave.’

I would hope that they would be quick since all of this happens in less than seconds.

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=80353 time=1525717351 user_id=18]

I would hope that they would be quick since all of this happens in less than seconds.

[/quote]

He’s right. IMO there should be some sort of automatic shot detection with automatic fire alarm disconnects (maybe just a relay on the NAC?) so that the alarm does not go off if there is an active shooter incident. Either way, this is one thing humans are not good at - speed. Electronics can do actions repeatedly and very fast.

and if an explosion sets off the shot detector?

fires are way more prevalent than mass shootings and should take much higher priority. the problem has already been solved with the newer codes basically removing pull stations.

Just so you know, I’m a girl by the way. LOL

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=80379 time=1525899306 user_id=18]

Just so you know, I’m a girl by the way. LOL

[/quote]

Sorry :oops:

[quote=chris+s post_id=80378 time=1525892071 user_id=3064]

and if an explosion sets off the shot detector?

[/quote]

They’re tuned so that that doesn’t work