Alarms on TV/Movies

I don’t know the name of the show, but a fire alarm went off in it. It was a plastic surgery show, that’s all I know. The alarm looked like a System Sensor BRK MA/SS-24. Now, I’m saying it looked like it. LOOKED like it so I’m not to sure. It was doing Slow-Whoop.

I think they were going to try and record voice messages for it. The father wanted it to say something like “Smoke” over and over. But Clarissa wanted it to go, “FIRE! GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!” :smiley:

I remember this episode. He mentioned it would say “smoke smoke” and she said “shouldn’t it say fire fire instead of smoke smoke?” and he said “that’s because it’s a smoke detector”.

Actually, wile_e2005 was closer. I belive her dad was going through what sounds it did, and Carissa was like, “Well, why doesn’t it just say ‘FIRE! Leave the house!’?” and the dad responds, “Because, it’s a smoke alarm…”

I was watching Friday the 13th pt.8 last night on tv. It takes place with a hand-full of teenagers on a mini cruise ship heading for New York City. One part, Jason picks up this guy and throws him onto an electrical panel where he gets zapped and then his body starts on fire and burns. There so happens to be a “in case of fire” button next to Jason on the wall. It was a big red button enclosed in a red box with a glass window. Jason punches the fire alarm button and sets off the alarms throughout the ship to start a panic I guess. It was pretty cool.

I know this isn’t the place to ask, but can you resize your avatar?

There was an episode of the office where the fire alarm goes iff. It’s a continuous bell (typical) and the scene is very funny. My favorite line is “Remove your stockings! They’ll melt right into your flesh!” but I laught at pretty much everything Dwight says in this scene.

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2778022

After this scene, they are all in the parking lot and the Fire truck pulls up. Dwight still has the fire extinguisher in his hands and he does this little jump of excitement that the fire department is there. It’s funny.

Do cartoons count for fire alarms also?

1 Like

Night at the Museum: Edwards 270-SPO’s

May 15th 2007 episode of Boston Legal

Wheelock NS in the church

Ok, this is rather odd…but Monty Python (as it was renamed in the 4th season). Look carefully in Episode 41, Michael Ellis, and you will see a scene where the main character played by Eric Idle steps out of the elevator. Just when he is about to go on, look to the right of the elevator doors. There is a red pull station there!! :smiley:

Cellular: Edwards 270-SPO: Ryan pulls it to cause a distraction in the bank. It it behind glass. A 6" bell goes off in continuous. The bell is not visible.
Chicken Little: Chicken Little gets smacked into a tall window and falls down and catches on to a chevron pull station (No brand name). He then accidentally pulls it and sets off 10’ bells, some emergency horns, and fire sprinklers.
MAD TV: A theripist gets so annoyed, he pulls a T-Bar and 10" bells sound. The vid is on YouTube, but I couldn’t find it. If you can, post it on this topic.
Me, Eloise (Cartoon): Eloise thinks about how to get a girl and her family back to Japan because her parents won’t let her play with her. In one of her fantasies, she imagined putting marbles in front of the hotel room door and then pulling a T-Bar pull station. Bells sound (I’m not sure what size and the screen flashes from color to red.) The family grabs the girl and runs away and (of course) trips on the marbles. Eloise looks at them evily and runs away with the T-Bar still pulled and the bells still sounding and the lights still flashing.

Oh! I just saw a super-cool NAC yesterday on Ellen! In the airport, Ellen passes by a FA that is pretty similar to one of WeatherDan’s bell/strobes, with the bell on the top and the strobe on the bottom.

I remember an episode of “Between the Lions” called “Trains and Brains and Rainy Plains.” There was a scene where in a book in the library the show took place it, a fire started in the book. Then this bell started going off, and then we saw the fire alarms sounding in the library. They were round, silver electro-mechanical horns that had a flashing red light on top with “FIRE” on it (this sounds a bit similar to those Simplex 4050-80s we are always talking about). The horns were buzzing in March Time. There was animated smoke appearing everywhere, and Cleo the Lion was telling everyone they were not in danger, saying it was just “an illustrated fire.” Then Theo yelled, “SHE SAID IT’S JUST AN ILLUSTRATED FIRE!” Then the alarms deactivated and everyone stopped panicking. I think someone off-screen might have been standing right near the main panel or a pull station when Theo yelled that. They didn’t show the panel or pull stations, but I am betting they are an older model.

Yes they do. “The Simpsons” usually depics fire alarm pull stations as Simplex T-bar -style pulls.

Over Memorial Day Weekend, Joe and I saw Bug. Early in the movie, you hear a noise kinda like a cricket chirping (which is what they thought it was). After looking for it, they determine the cause was the smoke detector in the motel room. The believe the battery was dead, so they try to take it off the ceiling, but they can’t get it loose, so they whack it w/ a magic 8 ball, and it falls to the floor. HOWEVER, it’s not battery operated, because it’s got wires connected to it (3).

And not to spoil the ending, but yes, a fire does erupt at the end of the movie, and they never replace the detector (they throw out the old one)…

In the movie “Heat” there was an Endwards pull station, and a voice alarm message, but it was also a bell. When the alarm was pulled they showed all the elevators going down, and later on they made reference to the elevators being shut down due to the fire alarm.

Seinfeld: Episode: The Abstinence, when Jerry’s visiting his junior high school. A bell rings, and goes off in continuous. The teacher tells him “back in line, Mr. Seinfeld!!” :lol:

In the movie ‘mean girls’ when the headmaster smashes some type of break glass with a baseball bat. Can’t see the type, the view is side on. All sprinklers turn on. (do all sprinklers turn on from a pull in real life?)

absolutely not. that’s just a hollywood special effect. there is no way for a typical sprinkler system to discharge water from all its sprinklers at once. each sprinkler is individually activated by heat, which causes a fusible element or glass bulb to break and release water. you can’t set off a system “manually” unless that system is a deluge system, which are ONLY used in HIGH-hazard locations (fireworks factories, ammunition storage, etc.) not in your typical commercial or industrial building.