Bad Installation Jobs 2.0

Lol this one…

Looks like somebody didn’t read the warning on the inside…lol

That reminds me of a busted 270-SPO. The handle is barely hanging on with that tape…

here is a stupid one:

they pulled out the old detector the reason why the celling tile is cracked and mounted the old stock and brand new Simplex smoke detector

A Broken hardwired First Alert smoke detector hanging by it’s wires!!! maybe the detector caused a false alarm and they tried to silent it

a Unknown brand smoke alarm detector hanging by it’s wires and a second base under the smoke!!!

a broken fire alarm and the surprise it didn’t caused a false alarm!!!

again an unknown brand smoke is hanging by it’s wires!!

A General Electric Smoke alarm completely opened!!!
And The Golden Palm

A unknown brand Hardwired Smoke Alarm damaged during it’s monthly test

1 Like

The first Unknown smoke detector is a FIREX 120-538C Ionization smoke alarm from the 90’s

Here are a couple of oldies-but-goodies for the newcomers, both from the K-8 school I attended kindergarten at. (Simplex 4010 system tied into an old 4208 panel from 1974.)

Obviously, the alarm was not originally installed that way back in the '70s. It must’ve been done during a panel/duct detector upgrade in the '80s or '90s (their current duct detectors were installed in 1998.) What they should’ve done was put both the horn and light plate on a single large backbox, like often seen on retrofit jobs using those alarms. (A school built with the same floorplan on the other side of town DID do that method with one of the alarms during a rewire job.)

As for slapping new alarms onto the older ones, I tend to see that when an old alarm had stopped working at some point:

This is in the school’s music room. I could easily tell by the way that Wheelock NS was slapped onto the 4050-80 was because the 4051 horn that used to be there broke down. It’s like a quick-and-easy repair job. Though I would’ve probably removed the old bulb and covered up the light socket in some way…

1 Like

This one is my personal favourite that I’ve seen:

There’s probably a sliding wall/door that divides the room in half.

…Although I could imagine it being a hard choice! :lol:

They should just get one big stopper to cover it or even better… Save there money and downgrade to one.

I would pull both lol! :lol:

Those two BG-12s remind me of a setup I saw last year (pictured below). Nothing bad with this installation, but it seems pointless to have two pull stations mounted next to each other even though there are two exits.

On the other hand, here’s a truly shoddy (hopefully temporary) repair job that seems to have been prompted by a ceiling leak. The smoke detector (an older Edwards model) was removed from its mounting bracket and the wires were stapled to the ceiling to hold it in place.

1 Like

here is mine:
[attachment=0]bad install.png[/attachment]
I blurred the beeeeeeeeep(censored) keypad to prevent file steal

You want to prevent “file steal” of a file you stole from someone else?

I don’t have a picture because they are replacing the system with a simplex voice evac system, but in my high school their old system of Cerberus pyrotronics/Faraday ummt’s, there were two ummt’s mounted within 3 feet apart separated by a 5 feet jut in the wall.

At the University Hospital they have 2 integrities side by side.

I don’t remember if they had one, and even if they did, there’s no way it would fit in between those pulls. They are literally touching each other lol.

It’s funny, I see this all the time in Canada! Here’s 2 other examples from a hotel I was at:

Like you said, it’s not a bad install, but it’s pointless. Plus if I owned a business and they installed pulls like that I wouldn’t be too happy, because when you think about it, they need to use more conduit, another backbox, a new unit, etc. it’s pretty much just more money for you to spend on pull stations feet from each other.

1 Like

That’s why I’d remove the pull, sell it on eBay, and then put a broke one in its place.

That is a horrible idea. What if there was a fire and somebody tried to pull it, but the alarm didn’t work?
It would certainly violate many codes. AT LEAST put a blank plate over the hole.

Andrew would hate that. XD

no the file was on the old topic the beeep stands for A*T
I don’t want to the see the forum crawled by google
because a guy stolen the file for his website(to prevent confuse the file was on the old topic)