Bad Installation Jobs 2.0

So instead of calling it the “beeeep keypad”, couldn’t you have called it the ADT keypad in the first place? The forum censors it automatically. Also, grammar helps us understand you! :wink:

Okay, I’ve been meaning to ask this. Why IS ADT censored? Copyright or something?

Somewhere we discussed that…Here:

Okay, thanks.

Those double pull stations remind me of a situation in my high school in the Machine Shop wing. There is a 9838 horn on one wall and then after you make a right, there is a 9219 at the end of that wall.

I have actually seen a double pull station setup at the Holiday Inn Express in New Haven, IN. Found in a corridor on the 1st floor, they were on the same side of said corridor, except they were about a couple feet apart or so from each other, with nothing in between them. BTW, the pulls were EST SIGA-278 pulls and the alarms are EST Integrities (enhanced version).

Found this at a Sports Authority. The store also has Wheelock 7002t’s, which is interesting.

I saw a Spectralert Advance speaker strobe that was installed on the ceiling and it was falling off.

Why was the Spectralert Advance speaker strobe falling off the ceiling?

They put a wall mount one on the ceiling when the old alarm broke down. I saw them replace it (it was in the lobby) and the mounting bracket was split so that explains it. And they replaced it with a Wheelock E90 with the rest of the ones in the lobby.

Other than the over torqued BG-10, what else is wrong?

The broken BG-10 is the only problem in that store. It’s not so much of an issue, but just laziness on the tech’s part.

Red pull station on a red wall: NFPA 72 - 17.14.1.3 - 2010 edition.

Easy fix, paint a white box around the pull station!

Someone forgot their level that day…
[attachment=0]IMG_20140828_144713_435.jpg[/attachment]

Does anyone hate it that some techs will write on alarms with sharpie instead of placing stickers on them to identify zones. Also, isn’t this against NFPA as well? Plus my AHJ :D.

Absolute laziness all that is. I’ve even gotten into the habit of printing two labels. One to place on the back of the detector or inside the pull station in case the “public” label falls or gets peeled off. I don’t know of any NFPA code that directly prevents using a sharpie, but I would think it is against manufacturer specifications on “painting” the device. Plus it looks ugly!

On a related note, there seems to be two schools of thought on numbering devices on a conventional system. Make the end of line the first number (this way you can always find the EOL resistor), or make the end of line the last number and mark it “EOL” (this way if you go into a site cold, you know how many devices are on the loop).

An update to my previous post about the BG-10: I went to Sports Authority again and the broken pull has been replaced by an Edwards 278-B pull station.

The badly mounted and crooked Wheelock 7002T directly above the pull remains.

Kcin556, did you happen to come across the F/A tech? Free alarms!! :smiley:

Nope, all fixed and done before I was there. Regardless, I wouldn’t have bothered a technician working on the system just for a broken alarm. They have a job to concentrate on. :wink:

Manufactures don’t care, if they did they’d put a spot for a label. NFPA doesn’t care either, if anything they’d prohibit it all together just to be safe, instead they choose to omit it so it’s up to whoever to decide how to do it.

Sharpe thing doesn’t bother me though, as long as its readable and permanently attached. Nothing more annoying than an unlabeled device.

I like the last number to be the EOL so I can tell how many are on a loop, but then again when devices are added during remodels or whatever you never know anyways unless someone goes and renumbers everything down the line (rarely happens).

Now that I think about it, I do seem to recall a part in the latest 72 on remote lamps saying they have to be labeled to tell what they’re connected too. Might be something on proper labeling there. I’ll try to remember to follow up on this when I have the code books handy.