Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Yes. It’s an alarm replacement project. All devices installed on that campus in the last 5-10 years have ALERT lettering because it’s also used as a mass notification system. That and the new system has smoke detectors and standard BG-12s.

Well I went up to the apartment building I’m moving into today to get keys, check the progress of my apartment (currently in the process of being recarpeted and painted, almost done) and sign some last documents so I snagged some FA pics:

[/URL]
Panels.
[/url]
4251 T Bar
[/url]
i3
[/URL]
Gamewell F7 in the elevator lobby of the floor I’m going to be on (16)
[/URL]
Speaker.

More detailed pics to come.

1 Like

Tractorland in Balzac has a Notifier NFS-320C system, with a System Sensor P2R/P4R horn/strobe, and a System Sensor P1224MC horn/strobe. Pulls are all Notifier NBG-12 (no flashing light).

Ralph’s Motorsports has a Simplex 4007ES system (That’s the first time I’ve even seen one! :smiley: ) with Simplex 49AV-WRF (TrueAlert ES) horn/strobes. Outside, there is a Simplex 49VO-WRFO-C (TrueAlert ES) remote strobe. Pulls are all Simplex 4099-9001(Newer Simplex logo)

Today I went into a recently constructed Fresh Thyme produce store that had an EST- io64 panel with ceiling mount Genesis’s. When I was leaving, I noticed that the SIGA pull station by the door had been pulled, and was ripped out of the wall! Interestingly, the annunciator showed that the system was normal, no troubles, alarms, or anything. I didn’t take a picture because there were people nearby, and I didn’t want to look suspicious, but I have never seen anything like that before, especially with the system normal!

F/A Fan, that picture of the 2 can voice/phone 2001 brings back lots of memories. I can’t count how many of those I did final connections and tested over the years.

I really wish I got a picture of these devices, but alas, I did not.

Hampton Inn (Exton, PA)
Pulls: Mix of Simplex single-action and break glass T-bars and Ademco T-bars
Smokes: can’t recall what was in the hallways, but the room had one of the square Gentex smoke detectors
NAs: Wheelock NSes and Exceders, as well as SpectrAlert Advances, mounted on Simplex 2903-9001 light plates. No idea if both the light plates and the strobes on retrofit devices activate during an alarm.

If they are mounted on TOP of the light plates, its pretty safe to say that they are disconnected.

…and they couldn’t just buy the retrofit plates Simplex sells for this reason and take the old ones off the backboxes and put up the new stuff on retrofit plates??? Somebody was lazy…lol. Also it would be impossible to tell if they were a light or strobe plate unless you looked at the circuitry on the back…but I would assume strobe plates; that is, if the building was built in the 80’s? Could you tell what year they were from? Also were the pulls real high up or at regular height? I’m just curious since a lot of older buildings seemed to do this, maybe to prevent kids from falsely pulling the alarm?

Well putting a new horn over an old installation is a lot more common then you might think. We had a whole topic on it a few years back.

I’ve seen new horn/strobes mounted on old installations several times. My high school has a ton of Genesis horns mounted on top of 4040/4050 flush mounts and on grilles that I think were hiding horns and class change bells. My university had a couple buildings with TrueAlerts mounted on top of 4050 flush mounts. The weird thing here was the consistent sloppiness.

As far as whether they’re strobes or lights, yeah, can’t tell unless you see the back. Couldn’t tell anything about them, but they probably were strobes.

I recently visited a building that just reopened after undergoing a complete renovation and was surprised by the new system’s incredibly high density of signals. The building has a Notifier system with N-MPS-series pull stations and SpectrAlert Advance horns (no strobes, oddly enough). The picture below shows about one-half of a rather small reception room located on the building’s ground floor, with each red dot representing one horn (this room had six horns); two other horns are located to the right of the picture (out-of-frame).

I have no idea if this type of setup is actually necessary to meet current audibility requirements, but having such a high density of horns almost seems like overkill.

1 Like

I’d have to think those are chimes if they’re placed so closely. Otherwise, that spacing is ridiculous.

It would make sense to be chimes, especially because the horns have no fire label.

I’m hoping they are chimes because I would HATE to be in there when an alarm happened and have to listen to SIX of those *******.

Don’t they have ceiling-mount versions of chimes though? My college has mainly ceiling mount versions of SpectrAlert Advance speakers and they are round and it is the same with the ceiling mount versions of the SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes they have at my local CVS.

Those signals could indeed be chimes. However, the SpectrAlert Advance CH-series devices are only listed for private mode signalling, and this is a public mode application. Unless the AHJ approved this type of setup, it would seem to be an unlikely option.

System Sensor does indeed offer ceiling-mount SpectrAlert Advance chime/strobes, but audible-only devices (horns and chimes) appear to be available exclusively with the wall-mount housing.

So if those are chimes, it would be very strange that they mounted them on the ceiling then.

Considering the space is a reception room, it’s possible that loud music, or simply the voices of many people gathered at a party, was factored into the audibility requirements. The ceiling and walls appear to be lined with (rather ornate) sound dampening tiles, so high ambient noise levels seem to be anticipated within this room.

While it may be overkill when the room is silent, it’s likely just enough to be audible over the sound of a rowdy gathering.

That explanation definitely sounds logical. I also just realised that there appear to be some very discreet dividers, which would mean that each part of the room would have two horns (still a lot for those small spaces!).

It remains the highest concentration of signals I’ve seen in such a small space, and it’s the first time I’ve encountered such a setup with horns. Most systems I’ve seen that have a high density of signals are voice-evac setups, where it seems that a higher quantity of speakers is used to ensure both adequate audibility and intelligibility (instead of audibility only).

You know when you said that was a reception area, I thought you meant reception as in a RECEPTIONIST. XD

Sears - Natick, MA - DEFUNCT / STORE HAS CLOSED
Pull stations: FCI MS-2’s
Signals: Faraday 6140 horns behind SAE AV32 strobe plates, and some newer Wheelock MT’s.
Detectors: System Sensor 2400’s

This was the first system I mentioned on TFP… and now it’s gone.