Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Since they are horns behind the AV32 strobe plates and look silver, I’m gonna go and assume the alarms are Faraday 6120 horns without the front cover.

Thanks for the info!

The West Bridgewater Public Library has a 1980s Gamewell fire alarm system. The alarms are Wheelock 7002T horn/strobes! They also have key-reset dual-action Gamewell Century pulls and Chemtronics 601 heat sensors.

The nearby elementary school (my brother and I used to play on their fancy playground when we were kids) has a Simplex 4020 fire alarm system from the 1990s, with a 4003 voice-evac panel next to it. The hallways and most larger rooms have Simplex 4903 signals, most likely horn/strobes for the most part (couldn’t tell if they were electromechanical or electronic.) Each classroom has a Gentex GX-90 horn/strobe rebranded by Simplex. This leads me to believe that many of the 4903 signals are horn/strobes, even though there’s a 4003 evac panel present. The gymnasium/auditorium most likely has the speaker/strobe version, while everywhere else uses horn/strobes (I’ve seen quite a few systems like that.) Anyways, the pulls are single-action 2099-9795s, and the smoke detectors are 2098-9201 photoelectric heads on addressable 4-wire bases.

Outside the playground that is co-owned by the school, they have this neat modified Gamewell fire box that serves as a “medical emergency or injury pull box”…

Costco - Waltham, MA
Panel: Fire-Lite MS-9200UDLS, located at the main exit.
Pull stations: BG-12LX’s
Detectors: SD-355’s
Signals: SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes

This system appears to have replaced an old Gamewell system, judging by an old Gamewell remote alarm indicator at the back of the parking garage, next to some electrical/mechanical rooms.

The Simplex model number for the ADA-compliant version (which I assume you’re talking about) is 4903-9224.

Mark’s Nofrills (formerly Extra Foods) has an EST QuickStart system (newer one), with Edwards 439D-10AWC bells on EST 403-5A-R strobe plates. half of them are those, the other halt are Wheelock MB-G6-24 bells (no visual signal). Pulls are all Edwards 270-SPO. (its been 7 years since my last visit, the system was an EST 6632. Now in 2017, the panel is different, and at least they kept the original bells)

Cochrane Movie House has a Mircom FA-1025T system, with Mircom FHS-240 horn/strobes (red). Pulls are all Mircom MS-401.

The hospital I had a temporary maintenance position at had a pretty small change with their fire alarm system. The hospital still has its’ massive Simplex voice-evac fire alarm system (the main brains of it all is a Simplex 4100-series system tied into a 2001 system, and some wings have their own panels as well), with devices from the 80s to the present. The main lobby had its’ smoke detectors recently replaced. Last I saw, it had 2098-9202 photoelectric smoke detector heads with thermal sensors (and at least one 2098-9201 head without the heat sensor) on 2098-9637 2-wire bases. They were all replaced with conventional TrueAlarm smoke detectors (probably 4098-9601 photoelectric heads on 4098-9788 bases; there’s a ton of them in the non-renovated areas of the hospital.)

Detroit Zoo (Royal Oak) - Some buildings and exhibits lack fire alarm systems. Others use ceiling-mounted red or blue beacons in place of a traditional alarm system or just one detector (e.g., Gentex ionization detector), with no other devices in sight. This post will cover the alarm systems I saw at some of the exhibits.

Polk Penguin Conservation Center - All devices, unless otherwise noted, are rebranded by Gamewell-FCI:

E3 series voice-evacuation system
BG-12 pull stations
Red, wall-mount SpectrAlert Advance speaker/strobes in the public common areas, some of which are protected by metal wire guards
White, ceiling-mount SpectrAlert Advance speaker/strobes in the conservation area
One ionization detector above an elevator

National Amphibian Conservation Center:

National Time 541-series pull stations (rebranded SigCom t-bar devices) behind plastic sounder covers
Red Gentex GMS or SHG horn/strobes, possibly rebranded by National Time
Red Gentex GXS strobes, possibly rebranded by National Time

Arctic Ring of Life - All devices are branded by Edwards:

270-SPO pull stations (one has the EST logo, and another has the Edwards shield logo)
White, 2nd generation Integrity horns around the outside of the exhibit
Red, 2nd generation Integrity horn/strobes inside the exhibit
202A-80-001 strobes

If the inside is silver, than its a GMS. I’m willing to bet that it was an SHG since GMSs are really rare.

Plymouth Elks Lodge (Plymouth Township) - This building has a vintage system!

Panel/Annunciator: Unknown

Detectors:

There is one Chemtronics 500-series heat detector in the front lobby.
Several other areas have what I believe to be Chemtronics 600-series heat detectors.

Pull stations:

The only device I could find was an Edwards 270A-SPO with the “LOCAL ALARM” phrase stamped and the Edwards shield logo.

Despite my efforts, I could not find any notification appliances anywhere (this was during a public craft show), making this quite an unusual system. I would assume there is such a device, though.

Where my dad works (Intel Corp.) the building has 270-SPO pull stations everywhere and enhanced integrity strobes. The actual alarm is sent through the PA system and the strobes flash. Outside, there a Integrity horn strobes.

Where my mom works (Preschool) the building has no pull stations except for one in the main office. Smokes are the old old ionization Cerberus pyrotronics detectors (which are well over 12 years old). Notification appliances: diary you walk in and there are 2 Wheelock MT’s with the vertical strobe. As soon as you walk further in it switches over to Cerberus pyrotronics horn strobes (the ones that sound like ummt’s) on the other wing, there is a random bg-10 pull station that has an “out of service” sticker on it
And first generation spectralert classics. On the last section, there are gentex Commander 1’s. They are all tied into a Siemens SXL panel.

Denver International Airport, Denver, Colorado:

Note: The last time before today that I was at DIA was in 2009, when I was in second grade. All I did then was make a connection to a flight to California (at the time we were going to my Aunt’s for the holidays; so I have no idea what their system consisted of before this.

No audible signals in the newer areas (they have white TrueAlert ES remote strobes with custom ‘ALERT’ lettering and clear strobes (because this functions as both mass notification and the fire alarm apparently)

Pulls here were Simplex 4099-9004 (single action with LED)

Horn/Strobes in older areas are Wheelock MT-24-WM’s on Wheelock SFP-R plates
Newer areas (probably from 2003 or 2004) contain ceiling mounted wall mount MT-24MCW’s.
Pulls in older areas are FCI MS2’s.

If I see any more interesting systems I’ll be sure to post about them and take pictures which will be pictures featured in the third installment of my Fire Alarm Picture Collection series (the second which should be coming soon) will be exclusively about the Cleveland Airport’s system.

EDIT: The audibles were through the intercom system.

I’ve been there last year to catch a connecting flight to San Jose and back home (I’ll explain why I was there at a later time). I’m pretty sure the alarms that you thought were MT-24-WM’s (or should I say MT4-24-WM’s) were actually EH-EL1-WM-24’s judging from this video that I had found a while back (the system did not go off when I was there).

As for the other devices mentioned, I did see an MT with a horizontal strobe, but it was mounted on a wall like it should be. As for the MS-2s, some (probably most) of them didn’t appear to have any branding on them.

There’s more from that airport that I’ve seen from when I was there, but I will (also) mention that at a later time.

Thanks for the clarification. I had a feeling they were EH-EL1-WM-24’s but I wasn’t so sure (Wheelock equipment is not as common where I live; Simplex is preferred due to a large state regional office in my area).

Oh yeah? During our trip from Colorado to Florida and Back. the Ruby Tuesday in Girard, Georgia has an EST System. They have EST Integrity Horn Strobes and EST SIGA-278 Pulls with Stopper IIs and EST Strobes in restrooms. in the Hungry Howies and Little Chicken restaurant in South Darwin, Florida they have Spectralert Advance horn strobes and DMP Pulls just like my camp! and they have Wheelock RSS Strobes in bathrooms, sadly. In Marth and Lucina’s apartment in Local Plains, South Darwin, Florida they have Simplex Horns and Strobes everywhere with Simplex Pulls everywhere! At Juanita’s Pizza in Kinard, Florida, they have a DMP System too! This time with Wheelock Exceders (2 on ceiling and 1 on wall) Wheelock ZNS in Restroom hallway, and in Restrooms they have Spectralert Classic Strobes, sadly. at the CVS in Fleming Island, Florida, they have Gentex Commander 4s and Commander 3s with a DMP System as well! At the Huddle House in Donnelly, Georgia, they have Simplex Truealert Horn Strobes and Remote Strobes in restrooms with Tyco BG-12 Pulls! At the school Kendrick’s Cousin Bodhi used to go to, they have Amseco Motor Horns on Simplex 4903-9101 Strobe Plates with Simplex 4251-20 pulls, but sadly they have only 1 EST Integrity Low-Pitched Horn behind a Space Age AV36 Strobe Plate. The Intercom Speakers are removed and replaced with Wheelock RSS Ceiling-mount remote strobes! At the Dollar General Market in South Darwin, Florida (not shown) Are all Spectralert Classic Horn Strobes and a Surprise Silent Knight Pull Station!

I’m back from running errands, and here is every system I saw.

Real Canadian Superstore in the Hamptons neighborhood has a Notifier AFP-200 system (the panel is at the entrance), with red wall mount System Sensor SpectrAlert Classic horn/strobes. The SpectrAlert by the back of the store is falling off it’s trim plate. Pulls are all Notifier NFM-950B/MPS-950B, some with Stopper II’s, because of false alarms in 2015, due to kids pulling them.

Costco in Beacon Hill neighborhood had a minor update to their system. It has a Mircom FX-2000 system, with Mircom FHS-240R horn/strobes. In 2010, an FHS-240R got vandalized (it’s strobe was ripped out) and was replaced in late-2011-early 2012 with a Mircom (MGC) FHS-340R horn/strobe. The produce, dairy, and cooler areas have System Sensor SpectrAlert Classic horn/strobes that are wall mounted on the ceiling. In the photo area, added earlier this month, is a red ceiling mount System Sensor SpectrAlert Advanced horn/strobe on the wall. It is hardly noticeable. Outside the store, there is a System Sensor SpectrAlert Classic remote strobe. Pulls are all Mircom MS-401.

Goodwill in Beacon Hill has a Mircom FX-2000 system, with mostly red wall mount System Sensor SpectrAlert Advanced horn/strobes, set to 75cd each. There was one in the WASHROOM. Sometimes there are Mircom FHS-340R horn/strobes seen. Outside there is a Mircom FHS-340R-WP horn/strobe. Pulls are all Mircom MS-401.

Interesting; prior to that they had weatherproof Wheelock ET speakers and RSS strobes.

AV-36? That’s a joke alarm I made up for April Fool’s Day. You probably mean an AV-32 or -34. :stuck_out_tongue:
<URL url="Space Age announces the AV-36 text=“viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8173”>Space Age announces the AV-36

Also, you should probably refrain from using the real names of relatives on the forums.

Boston Logan International Airport - Economy Parking Garage - Boston, MA
Pull Stations: Weatherproof Simplex 2099’s (aka rebranded Sigcom SG32-series)
Detectors: These weird heat detectors at elevators.

Signals: Mostly older weatherproof TrueAlert horn/strobes. At least one newer weatherproof TrueAlert (49CMTV series).

The panel is probably a 4008 or 4010. (or maybe a 4010ES?)
Boston Logan International Airport - Terminal A - Boston, MA
Panel: Simplex 4100U (Networked, judging by the address labels on the pull stations)
There are countless “Remote Command Center” annunciators everywhere!
Pull Stations: 4099-9003’s (dual action, no LED)
Detectors: Newer TrueAlarms at elevators (like any newer Simplex system)
Signals: TrueAlert speaker/strobes. Mostly red wall-mount (4906-9151) with some white ceiling-mount (4906-9154).