Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

My Jr./Sr. High School (i’m not telling you the name, sorry) has a newer EST QuickStart system (the annunciator is at the entance) with mostly Edwards MB6-24 bells on EST 403-5A-R strobe plates. These are installed in every hallway, the gymnasium change rooms, the library computer area, and the band/music room. The main gymnasium, and the CTS workshop have Edwards MB10-24 bells on the EST 403-5A-R strobe plates. Outside, there are 3 Edwards MB6-24 bells (one by the tarmac, one by the CTS workshop garage, and one near the hill by the entrance), and there is an EST 405-8A-T weatherproof Integrity strobe by the bike rack. Pulls are all EST SIGA-270 (older EST logo)

All of the strobes and bells are synchronized, and every bell does code-3/temporal.

The crazy thing is in the gymnasium, the bell/strobes have wire protector covers on them, the pulls don’t. Also there’s a bell/strobe behind one of the seats on the bleachers

I’m not quite sure what you mean by networked, code requires labels on everything from what I’m aware.

The parking garage and airport systems would be tied together, not left separate.

Anyways, I’ll do mine from today after this.

The 49MCTV’s are TrueAlertES’s. The easiest way to identify the ES series is the little white or red bubble following the ‘TrueAlert’ lettering on the cover. By model number, anything with 49 (regular) or 59 (LED) followed by letters is the ES series.

The regular series is categorized by its 8 digit model number, for the pre-ES addressable and non-addressable (SmartSync) series is by default 4906-xxxx. A polling LED does NOT denote an ES device, which I recently discovered myself when examining the addressable speaker strobes (4906 series) at the Embassy Suites in downtown Denver.

I believe the 4100ES debuted along with the ES series of devices, which means it’s likely more common to probably see a 4100ES with TrueAlertES’s than a 4100U, but I do believe the 4100U (and ES) for that matter can be equipped with a special power supply to drive addressable 4906 devices and/or ES series devices.

Actually, they are totally separate structures. They are NOT structurally connected to each other in any way whatsoever, and are actually pretty far away from each other.

Here’s the answer:

NOPE. 49CMTV’s have the newer design/shape and newer Simplex logo, and are conventional.
https://simplex-fire.com/en/us/DocumentsandMedia/S49CMTV-0001.PDF

Don’t worry, I can help clear this up for you.
Many larger fire alarm systems are networkable, meaning multiple panels (frequently referred to as “nodes” in a networked system) can be tied together, but function as one system. This is frequently done in large buildings.
In the system I mentioned, I know it’s networked because the address labels on the detectors and pull stations have an added N designator. Example device address: N2-M1-30
The added N designator in the device address indicates the network node which the device is on.
See link below for details.
https://www.tycosimplexgrinnell.com/wps/wcm/connect/4572fccb-33aa-4816-bf68-23b3700a1c58/4100ES%2C+4190%2C+4010ES+and+4010+Network+Interface+Reference.PDF?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=4572fccb-33aa-4816-bf68-23b3700a1c58
Also, I’m looking forward to your posts!

Embassy Suites Hotel by Hilton, Downtown Denver, Colorado:

Panel: Simplex 4100U (extremely likely since 4100U tones were played while the system was in alarm; more on that later in the post).

Notification Appliances:
[list]

• - Simplex TrueAlert Addressable Speaker Strobes (multi-candela); 4906-9253

• Simplex TrueAlert (addressable?) speaker onlys in the rooms and stairwells
    • Simplex TrueAlert addressable remote strobes (multi candela) in restroooms and weatherproof ones in the pool area
    • Wheelock ET-1010 speaker onlys (weatherproof); in pool area only
    • [/list]

Smokes are all TrueAlarms (addressable), with the exception of System Sensor BEAMSMK beam detectors and System Sensor key switches next to them.

Duct detectors are also addressable TrueAlarms.

System is equipped with ‘Emergency Fire Phone’ jacks next to each elevator and exit stairwell.

Sounder bases on the TrueAlarms in individual rooms, which I believe activate locally.

There’s one weatherproof Wheelock ASWP outside, but I think it only goes off if the sprinklers are activated.

• It appears to be a Thermoflex detector. Those devices are very common here in Canada and have been rebranded by many manufacturers, including Simplex.

I should note, these units will usually activate a local alarm near the door if they are opened, mainly as a deterrent to theft, rather than activating the fire alarm.

These units shouldn’t be relied upon to alert building occupants should a fire be discovered.

Lunds & Byerly’s Downtown - Minneapolis, MN
    Panel: Simplex 4010ES (didn’t see the panel, but there’s a 4606-9102 annunciator at the entrance).
    Pull stations: 4099-9001’s
    Smoke detectors: A few newer TrueAlarms
    Signals: TrueAlert horn/strobes (4906-9127)

Yep, that’s the detector!

1 Like

Got back from running errands today, and here are the systems.

Varsity Vet Clinic is a small building, so there’s no alarm system, just your regular household smoke alarms :wink:

Planet Organic in Varsity has an EST? system with EST G1R-HDVM horn/strobes. Pulls are all Edwards 270-SPO.

Goodwill in Varsity has an EST system too, with EST G1R-HDVM horn/strobes too. One was installed horizontally, and one was on the ceiling. There was also a Wheelock MB-G6-24 bell near the side of the building, not sure why it’s there. Either its disconnected or it rings with the Genesis horn/strobes. There were two pulls, one was a Notifier MPS-950B, and one was an Edwards 270-SPO

CO-OP in Rocky Ridge has a Notifier AFP-200 system, with System Sensor SpectrAlert Classic horn/strobes. Pulls are all Notifier MPS-950B.

Grand View Lodge - Main Lodge - Nisswa, MN
    Nothing inside, just a Wheelock ASWP as a sprinkler alarm.
    Grand View Lodge - Pool/Fitness - Nisswa, MN
    Pull stations: Silent Knight T-bars

Signals: Wheelock NS and AS horn/strobes.

Sideways Wheelock RSS in men’s room.
    Smoke detectors: System Sensor i3’s
    Schaefers Foods - Nisswa, MN
    Nothing inside, just a Wheelock Farr-Larm 3300 as a sprinkler alarm.
    Target - Baxter, MN
    Signals: System Sensor non-ADA MASS’es
    In the customer service desk room, I saw what looked like a Radionics keypad, and probably a Radionics T-bar pull station.
    There’s also a Wheelock Farr-Larm 3300 as a sprinkler alarm.

You sure it’s an ES? I typically see most with either addressable 4906’s or ES series NA’s. I have seen the occasional ones with SmartSync but it seems odd that they would use an older series. But CLE Int’l Airport has an ES panel with a mixture of 4906 SmartSync stuff along with ES stuff and maybe 4906 addressable stuff thrown into the mix, not to mention the stuff from the Thorn/Kidde/Fenwal system they previously had prior to renovations in 2015. But the 4906 series is still in production (for now at least), so it’s possible, but if you see stations without LEDs as the pulls it likely is a regular 4010 as they predate the ES launch. But I do believe they weren’t discontinued until awhile ago so I suppose it’s possible.

Those could also be a 4006 or 4008 system too, but 4006 is more likely than a 4008 in that case. But if the TrueAlarms had the LED on the side rather on the front of the head like they do conventionally you’d be able to tell because the 4606 series is compatible with ES series, 4100U, 4010, 4006, and 4008.

Like I said, I saw the annunciator. The 4606-9102 is only compatible with the 4010ES.
    See this data sheet.
    https://www.tycosimplexgrinnell.com/wps/wcm/connect/63ec0514-064c-448f-92d5-bfbbff40ce5d/4606-0002.PDF?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=63ec0514-064c-448f-92d5-bfbbff40ce5d

Went to the Calgary Stampede, and here is the systems.

Scotiabank Saddledome has an EST system, with I think the PA System as the alarm. Pulls are all Edwards 270-SPO.

Stables have an EST system, and Edwards 439D-10AWC and 439D-6AWC bells. Pulls are GE EST SIGA-270

The Agriculture Building has an EST QuickStart system, with EST Genesis Horn/strobes (white, wall, no FIRE lettering). Pulls are Tyco Grinnell rebranded Notifier NFM-950B, and I saw an Edwards 274-111.

Well it could be a different model, they look all the same to me and it doesn’t make sense that these annunciators aren’t compatible with other panels, but perhaps I’m thinking of the 4606-9101.

The 4606-9102 is basically a 4603-9101 with one function button removed.
    The 4606-9101 removes the function buttons and the priority 2 indicator.

I can give a little insight to this. Both the 4606-9102 and 4603-9101 use RUI which is a 24 volt communications circuit. I don’t know what the differences are between the 4100 style RUI and the 4010ES RUI.

The 4606-9101 which is compatible with the original 4010 and the 4006/4008 systems uses N2 communications. N2 is an industrial version of RS-485 which is a balanced 5 volt communication circuit.

The Olive Garden near me has 9838s on 9105 strobe plates in their bathrooms also. And in Arizona when I went to an Olive Garden there, there were Faraday 6120s and guess what were also in the bathrooms?