Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

I meant to say the original SpectrAlert Advance, not the L-Series. Sorry for the confusion.

It’s okay. I thought you meant like a SpectrAlert Classic or something.

Actually, I don’t think the L-Series is called the “Advance” now that it got an update is it?

Nope. The different generations of System Sensor notification appliances are officially named MultiAlert, SpectrAlert, SpectrAlert Advance and L-Series.

Is the MultiAlert the version that doesn’t have the “FIRE” lettering on it?

I’m 99% sure MultiAlert was the MASS-series (“Multi-Alert Sounder/Strobe”). I think they were offered both before and with the SpectrAlert series until at least the early 2000s, if not later.

You are right about MA/SS multi-alert sounder strobe. It is the MASS. The MASS was discontinued before the SpectrAlerts were tho.

MultiAlerts are the ones that look like this:
https://firealarms.tv/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/maeh24m_1037_1.jpg
And like this:
https://4j25productionsinc.weebly.com/uploads/1/9/0/7/19078715/6693261.jpg
MASS is the model code of the most common product from this line, the horn/strobe. There were also stand alone horns, remote strobes (both translucent and ADA), a horn/strobe with different sounds (the MAEH), a mini-horn (including a version with a translucent strobe) and even speakers and speaker/strobes (which look very similar to the horns and horn/strobes).

I know what MASS stands for now, but what does MAEH stand for? I know its a horn only version so I’m guessing Multi Alert Emergency Horn?

Ah… maybe I’m thinking of the MAEH? Didn’t System Sensor continue to manufacture multi-tone devices on the MultiAlert platform until the Advance-series came out?

I think it means Multi Alert Electromechanical Horn.

Best Buy in Beacon Hill has a Simplex 4010 system, with Simplex 4906-9127 horn/strobes. Pulls are all 4099-9001.

Staples in Beacon Heights has a Mircom FX-2000 system, with Mircom FHS-340R horn/strobes. Pulls are Mircom MS-401

I just went to the BMO Centre in Calgary for the Calgary International Auto & Truck Show, and it has an EST3 system (annunciator is at the entrance and it was installed in 2013-2016, due to either the flood or the expansion) with mainly Edwards MB10-24 bells on EST 403-5A-R strobe plates, some of them are hangning from the ceiling. Another show area has Edwards 439D-10AWC bells on EST 403-5A-R strobe plates. Pulls are mainly older EST SIGA-270P, but one of them is brand new. The part that has the 439D-10AWC bells has Edwards 270-GAO pulls (one has the old logo).

Docks in Wauconda has a Silent Knight IntelliKnight system (exposed right at the doorway!). Gentex Commander 3 horn/strobes are installed quite close to each other, same as the Silent Knight SD505-APS smoke detectors (One in the single-use bathroom?, Now thats what I call useless) Pulls are older Silent Knight SD500-PSes.

Hannaford Supermarket - Waltham, MA
Pull stations: Bosch FMM-7045 (?)

Signals: Gentex Commander 4 horn/strobes

HOBO in Waukegan has an old Notifier system. NAs are Gentex SHG horn/strobes, though they are very spread out. The SHG by the front has it’s strobe part peeling off. Pulls are Notifer BG-10s.

[quote="Chase Reinhardt" post_id=78136 time=1515013465 user_id=3744]

CO-OP in Crowfoot has a Notifier NFS-320C system, with mostly System Sensor SpectrAlert Advanced PC2W horn/strobes, they blend into the ceiling well. A few walls have System Sensor P2R horn/strobes on them. Outside, there is a System Sensor P2RK horn/strobe. Pulls are all Notifier NBG-12LX.
[/quote]

The outdoor signal is actually a System Sensor SRK strobe, not a P2RK. And the smokes are all System Sensor 2151B.

Safeway in Crowfoot has a Simplex 4100ES 3 bay panel (originally a 1990s Edwards panel), with EST 757H-15PS horn/strobes. Pulls are a variety of models, a Simplex MS-301C can be found by the left entrance, two Edwards 275-C111 pulls can be seen by the right entrance. By the juice there’s a Notifier MPS-950B, and the rest are Tyco/Grinnell rebranded MPS-950B.

Community Natural Foods in Crowfoot has a Mircom FX-2000 system, with Potter SH-1224R horn/strobes. Pulls are all Mircom MS-401.

Since the Toys R Us stores are starting to close, I decided to visit one of them to see how it was doing. The panel is probably a Simplex 4100, and all alarms are Simplex 4903-9101 strobe plates holding 2901-9838 horns. It must get quite loud in here since they are placed on two sides of each pillar facing opposite sides! Smokes are Simplex Wiffleball-shaped 2098-9508 detectors, and Pulls are 2099-9754s.

Sad to see systems like this go.

Yeah it really sucks that it most likely will be upgraded but at least you saw the system even if you didn’t get to hear it go off before the store closed.

Panorama Springs Lodge in Panorama Mountain Resort which is near Invermere, British Columbia has an EST2 system (remote annunciator at entrance), with for the most part General Signal MB10-24/MB74330 bells. Some of them have been installed strangely or partly vandalized, like the elevator area for parking garage #2 has part of it’s label missing. The 2nd and 5th floor have a General Signal bell installed upside down. The area where you go to the pools in the basement, there’s an Edwards MB10-24 bell. At the sauna of the pool, there’s a General Signal MB10-24 bell upside down under an eave (I don’t know how they wired it up there!) In every hotel room, there’s a General Signal-rebranded EST 683-1C silenceable mini-horn, the one in the room I’m in is upside-down. Pulls are mostly Edwards 270A-SPO, but some have been replaced with EST/GE SIGA-270. A 270A-SPO on the 2nd floor has been vandalized, (a green poppy has been placed on the (E) logo). Smokes are EST SIGA-PS, most of them are newer and have EST/GE logo on them, though a few have the older EST logo.

Toby Creek Lodge in the same place, has a Mircom FX-2000 system, with Mircom (MGC) FH-340R horns. Pulls are all Edwards 270-SPO, without the words “FIRE ALARM” at the top, and with the old ‘shield’ logo. Smokes are unknown.

Horsethief Lodge has a Mircom system of some sort, with Mircom FHS-340R horn/strobes. Outside each unit, there’s a Mircom FHS-340R-WP horn/strobes. Pulls are all Edwards 270-SPO, one’s outside under a stopper.