Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

[quote="Chase Reinhardt" post_id=79671 time=1521902868 user_id=3744]

Panorama Springs Lodge in Panorama Mountain Resort which is near Invermere, British Columbia has an EST2 system (remote annunciator at entrance), with for the most part General Signal MB10-24/MB74330 bells. Some of them have been installed strangely or partly vandalized, like the elevator area for parking garage #2 has part of it’s label missing. The 2nd and 5th floor have a General Signal bell installed upside down. The area where you go to the pools in the basement, there’s an Edwards MB10-24 bell. At the sauna of the pool, there’s a General Signal MB10-24 bell upside down under an eave (I don’t know how they wired it up there!) In every hotel room, there’s a General Signal-rebranded EST 683-1C silenceable mini-horn, the one in the room I’m in is upside-down. Pulls are mostly Edwards 270A-SPO, but some have been replaced with EST/GE SIGA-270. A 270A-SPO on the 2nd floor has been vandalized, (a green poppy has been placed on the (E) logo). Smokes are EST SIGA-PS, most of them are newer and have EST/GE logo on them, though a few have the older EST logo.

Toby Creek Lodge in the same place, has a Mircom FX-2000 system, with Mircom (MGC) FH-340R horns. Pulls are all Edwards 270-SPO, without the words “FIRE ALARM” at the top, and with the old ‘shield’ logo. Smokes are unknown.

Horsethief Lodge has a Mircom system of some sort, with Mircom FHS-340R horn/strobes. Outside each unit, there’s a Mircom FHS-340R-WP horn/strobes. Pulls are all Edwards 270-SPO, one’s outside under a stopper.

[/quote]

Panorama Springs Lodge’s pulls are mounted very hig, about 5 feet, and when it’s under a bell, its very close to it. Toby Creek Lodge’s pull is a GE rebranded 270-SPO, and Horsethief Lodge’s alarm system is a Mircom FA-1000, I’ve never seen one before.

Ski Tip Lodge has a Notifier ONYX or AFP system (LCD-80 annunciator at back entrance), with mostly Notifier KMS-10-24VDC bells, but on the first floor, there’s an Edwards 439D-10AWC bell. Smokes are unknown, and the pulls are all Notifier MPS-950B.

Pine Inn North has an Edwards FireShield Plus (rebranded by GE), with Edwards 439D-10AWC bells. Pulls are all Edwards 270-SPC (it’s like the 270-SPO but doesn’t have “FIRE ALARM” at the top), smokes are Edwards 6264B.

Pine Inn South has an Edwards FireShield Plus (rebranded by GE), with the 439D-10AWC bells, Edwards 6264B smokes, but pulls are Edwards 274-111.

More updates to come.

[quote/] Pine Inn South has an Edwards FireShield Plus (rebranded by GE), with the 439D-10AWC bells, Edwards 6264B smokes, but pulls are Edwards 274-111.

More updates to come.
[/quote]

The Pine inn South has got a Edwards 270-SPO in the elevenFifty cafeteria, possibly replacing a defective Edwards 274-111.

Got to visit my dad’s workplace, which is the oldest building at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, MA.

Panel: Honeywell XLS1000 (rebranded EST3)
Pull stations: SIGA-278’s

Detectors: SIGA-PS

Signals: Integrity speaker/strobes in most areas.

Genesis speaker/strobes in recently renovated areas.

Palermo Pizzeria & Restaurant (Canton Township)

Annunciators/panels:

A Fire-Lite RZA-5F annunciator exists at the main entrance. This was my first time seeing one of these.

Detectors: Unknown

Pull stations:

A red Fire-Lite BG-8 model exists at the main entrance, next to the annunciator.

Notification appliances:

There is at least one Wheelock NS horn/strobe in the dining area. I was here only for carry-out, so I didn’t go around and check for any other devices.
Above a hallway leading to the kitchen, there is an old 10" bell! Unfortunately, the gong and serial tag were painted over, so I couldn’t establish a manufacturer nor model. I don’t know whether this was used as part of an older system or for general signaling purposes.

McDonald’s - Newton, MA
Panel: Notifier NFS-320 (judging by the small size of the building, and there’s an FDU-80 annunciator)
Pull stations: NBG-12LX’s
Signals: SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes

LOTS of interesting systems to share today.

Boston Logan International Airport - Terminal A - Boston, MA
Panel: Simplex 4100U (judging by the annunciators)

Pull stations: 4099-9003’s in most areas, 4099-9001’s in the walkway that connects the two buildings.

Detectors: Newer TrueAlarms in some areas.
Signals: TrueAlert speaker/strobes (both wall and ceiling) in most areas.

Wheelock E90 speakers and speaker/strobes in the aforementioned walkway.

Boston Logan International Airport - Central Parking Garage - Boston, MA
Pull stations: Simplex 2099-9139’s (Sigcom) in outdoor areas, 4099-9003’s in enclosed areas.
Signals: Wheelock ET70WP speaker/strobes in outdoor areas, E70 speaker/strobes in enclosed areas.

Boston Logan International Airport - Terminal C - Boston, MA
Panel: Simplex 4120 (judging by the annunciators)

Pull stations: 2099-9795’s in older areas, 4099-9003’s in newer areas.
Detectors: Newer TrueAlarms in some areas.
Signals: 4903 speaker/strobes and 4902 speakers in older areas. TrueAlert speaker/strobes (both wall and ceiling) in newer areas. The check-in hall has a few Wheelock E70 speaker/strobes.

Southwest Florida International Airport - Fort Myers, FL
Pull stations: EST SIGA-270’s

Detectors: SIGA’s in some areas.

Signals: Genesis remote strobes in areas covered by the paging system.

Genesis speaker/strobes in areas not covered by the paging system.

One store has Genesis strobes on the wall, and Genesis speakers on the ceiling.

Monaco Beach Club Condominiums - Naples, FL
Panel: EST3 (saw the annunciator in the main lobby)
Pull stations: SIGA-278’s in most areas, RSG RMS-1T’s rebranded by GE/Edwards in the parking garage.
Detectors: SIGA heat detectors in condominiums and outdoor hallways. Smoke detectors in enclosed areas.
Signals: Genesis speaker/strobes, strobes, and speakers in common areas.
96X-1A-4RW speakers (round Integrity) in condominiums.
Integrity speakers in the parking garage.
Lastly, there is an Integrity speaker/strobe outside.

PS: This is the longest post I have ever written on TFP!

Publix Super Market (Neapolitan Way) - Naples, FL
Panel: Some sort of Radionics system, judging by the annunciator.

Pull stations: ADT 5050-001’s

I also saw an ADT BG-12 in a restricted area.
Signals: Wheelock NS horn/strobes and RSS strobes.

Genesis Centre in Falconridge neighborhood, has a HUGE EST (GE) QuickStart system, with mainly Edwards MB10-24 bells on EST 403-5A-R strobe plates. The feature gym, some of the Edwards MB10-24 bells have broke down or smashed by a ball, and were replaced with Mircom BL-10B bells (the EST strobe plates are still intact). The Fieldhouse Field 2, and maybe other places in the building, has Edwards 439D-10AWC bells on the EST 403-5A-R strobe plates. Pulls are EST (GE) SIGA-270P, as well as EST 270P-DPO. Smokes are EST SIGA-PS

Today I went to a model train expo being held at a Catholic K-8 school in Bridgewater MA. The school was built in 1968 and had a renovation in 1992, which is when its’ current fire alarm system was installed. They have a Simplex 4002 single-bay panel right in the main lobby, along with a weatherproof SAE annunciator on the outside with the Simplex logo on the bottom. The majority of the alarm signals are typical of early 90s Simplex systems, with 2901-9838 horns on 4903-9101 strobe plates. Near one hallway exit, one of the Simplex horn/strobes was replaced with a SpectrAlert Classic (apparently the Simplex alarm must have failed or something.) In the classroom halls and the gymnasium/auditorium balcony there were 2098-9201 photoelectric smoke detectors on 2098-9637 bases, while other areas used Chemtronics 601 heat sensors that were most likely rebranded by Simplex. All the pulls I saw were single-action 2099-9754s. (I remember when the “new” 2099 pulls first came out in 1991, they continued to use the older 4251 T-bars for a couple more years, obviously to clear out old stock, in tandem with the new pulls.)

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a single-bay Simplex 4002 panel; last I saw one was at the Art Center at Bridgewater State University, which is gone now (probably replaced with a Simplex 4007ES or something, as the old Simplex 4051 horns in that building got replaced with 4906-9127 TrueAlert horn/strobes.)

The Fresh Market - Naples, FL
Pull stations: Fire-Lite BG-10’s in most areas, and a BG-12L at the entrance.

Signals: SpectrAlert Classic horn/strobes

Cabela’s in Deerfoot City has a Notifier NFS-320C or something like that, with System Sensor P2R/P4R horn/strobes. Pulls are Notifier NBG-12LX.

The Rec Room in the same area has an EST voice-evac system (saw the panel, I couldn’t find the model #), with mainly EST G4R-S7VM (red) speaker/strobes and EST G4-S2 (white) speakers. On the second floor, the two previous signals mentioned are there in the open ceiling area, whereas the drop ceiling has EST GC-S2 speakers and EST GC-S2VM speaker/strobes. Outside, there are System Sensor SPCWK speakers with ceiling mounted EST 405-7A-T strobes (horizontal “FIRE” lettering). Pulls are all EST SIGA-270.

A brand new Care Animal Hospital of Libertyville has a Silent Knight System (betting on 5700 due to small house-ish size) with System Sensor wall & ceiling mounted L-Series chime strobes and remote strobes. No detectors are spotted, and pulls are Silent Knight rebranded BG-12s.

Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt - Naples, FL
Pull stations: Silent Knight SD500-PS’s

Signals: Wheelock AS horn/strobes

The last system from my trip… and it’s VERY unusual in multiple ways.
Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport - Baltimore, MD
Pull stations: Honeywell S464A’s (I think they’re addressable) with dual-action covers in older areas.

BG-12LX’s (I don’t know the Honeywell model number) in newer areas.

Detectors: System Sensor/Honeywell 1551’s in older areas, 2251’s in newer areas.
Signals: Wheelock MT horn/strobes (both LSM and newer version) and RSS strobes in older areas.

SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes and strobes in newer areas.

Had a couple of mascot gigs this weekend for little league openings. The first one was in Bridgewater MA, behind a middle school that was built in 1968 and then expanded and renovated in 2007. The school has a rather typical EST voice-evac system (didn’t see the panel, but it’s probably an EST-3) with Genesis speaker/strobes, SIGA-278 dual-action pulls and SIGA-PS smoke detector heads on SIGA-SB bases. Outside on the original 1968 structure I could see what appeared to be a bell flush-mounted behind a grille, but it most likely used to be a school bell that has since been deactivated (they now most likely just use a tone or chime on the intercom.)

The softball field in Bridgewater MA that the second opening concluded at had a two-story snack shack with a small conventional Gamewell fire alarm panel of some kind (most likely in the Flex series), but the alarms were Edwards/EST Genesis horn/strobes! I also saw System Sensor i3 smoke detectors and 5601 heat sensors, and Sigcom dual-action T-bar pulls rebranded by Mammoth Fire Alarms.

Then the girls’ softball league opening in Whitman MA was held at a middle school that was built in 1972 and then renovated around 2000. They have a Simplex 4010 fire alarm system with a graphic annunciator at the main entrance, horizontal 4903 horn/strobes in the halls and large rooms (most likely electronic, they had the Simplex logo with the smaller “S” and the white candela rating label on the strobe; they are most likely the newer version that use the TrueAlert sounder) and rebranded Gentex GX-90 horn/strobes in the classrooms. Pulls are dual-action 4099-9003 T-bars, and the smoke detectors are 4098-9714 photoelectric heads on 4098-9792 bases. A fairy typical school Simplex system of the era.

I’m not sure what it’s called to be honest, but the football stadium and concourse at St. Cloud State University (also connected to the field house, but I’ve already shared that system), which was rebuilt in 2004, has a Simplex 4100U system with TrueAlert speaker/strobes (both wall and ceiling-mount), TrueAlarm smoke detectors, and interestingly no pull stations as far as I could see. I’m assuming the speaker/strobes just do a slow whoop tone like most of the systems on campus, but I have no idea. One of the more interesting portions of this system is actually in the corridor that connects to the original 1960s field house, in which a speaker/strobe is installed just a few feet from a Simplex 4041 on a 4050-80 light plate, and yet both are still connected. I wish I could have gotten a picture when I was there last weekend, because it was really cool to see where the old system ended and the new one began.

Another random system that I came across a while back was at the Washington DC Jewish Community Center, which has an Edwards system with Integrity-series single-gang remote strobes mounted below Edwards Adaptabells… for the most part. I also noticed a handful of Wheelock MIZ horns mounted on the ceiling of a hallway, two or three Wheelock ZRS strobes, and an Edwards Genesis horn/strobe. The pull stations were all Edwards 270-SPOs.

Is the 4041+4050-80 horn/light the only one in that area?

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=80177 time=1524561618 user_id=18]

Is the 4041+4050-80 horn/light the only one in that area?

[/quote]

In that particular area yes, although there are others in and around the field house.

That is what I meant. Are there still 4041s around the field house?

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=80187 time=1524606225 user_id=18]

That is what I meant. Are there still 4041s around the field house?

[/quote]

Yeah… it’s hard to explain without pictures, but the corridor from the 2004 concourse abruptly ends at what once was the ticketing area for the field house, which is why there’s an older N/A there. Inside of the field house, there are a handful of 4041s on 4050-80 light plates, although most are damaged. As far as I know, everything else in the building (including some older areas) is on the 4100U voice-evac system.