Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

It would be interesting to hear that system go off.

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=80203 time=1524687395 user_id=18]

It would be interesting to hear that system go off.

[/quote]

Ohhh yeah… and I have. It was quite a while ago, but I was actually in the building for a drill. Unfortunately the area that I was in was exclusively the newer system, so I couldn’t hear any of the older devices, but as I mentioned above, the speaker/strobes only do a slow whoop tone.

Well since 4041s sound like 9806s (in the way that 9833s sound like 9838s), if you heard a 9806 or any rebranded horn from a 9806, you have heard a 4041.

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=80216 time=1524727087 user_id=18]

Well since 4041s sound like 9806s (in the way that 9833s sound like 9838s), if you heard a 9806 or any rebranded horn from a 9806, you have heard a 4041.

[/quote]

Except the 9806 has a perforated grill. The 4041 has a smooth, flat piece of metal.

Which is why I said they SOUND the same, not LOOK the same. :roll:

A hotel I went to a while ago has Simplex Lifealarm speakers and speaker strobes and t bars and truealarm smokes

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=80236 time=1524861170 user_id=18]

Which is why I said they SOUND the same, not LOOK the same. :roll:

[/quote]

Wouldn’t there be a difference in sound?

Not according to this video.

Starts at 1:35 before he changes the pitch.

Suburban Collection Showplace (Novi) - According to the official website, this expo center opened in 2005.

Annunciators/panels:

Unknown, presumably Gamewell-FCI

Detectors:

Unknown duct detectors inside the convention rooms, presumably Gamewell-FCI

Pull stations:

A mix of Gamewell MS-95 series (aka “full moon”, no key lock, single-action) and Sigcom t-bar (rebranded by Gamewell-FCI?) pull stations. All devices are protected by STI 6500 covers.

Notification appliances:

Almost all devices consist of white, ceiling-mount Wheelock RSS strobes and Wheelock E90-series speaker/strobes.
At least one bathroom has a sideways, white, wall-mount Wheelock ET70 speaker/strobe perpendicular to the sinks.

[quote=randomperson post_id=77672 time=1512080370 user_id=3878]

40 Second Avenue - Waltham, MA
Pull Stations: Notifier NBG-10L’s (and a Fire-Lite BG-12)
Detectors: System Sensor 2400’s
Signals: Wheelock EH-EL1-WM-24 and AS horn/strobes

[/quote]

I was here again, and saw the panel, a Notifier System 5000 with several troubles on it. (probably due to construction on the 3rd floor)

Edge School, just west of Calgary has a Notifier AFP-400 or NFS-320C (LCD-80 annunciator at entrance), with System Sensor P2R/P4R horn/strobes. In the gymnasium, there is one System Sensor SR strobe. Outside, by the entrance, there’s a System Sensor SRK weatherproof strobe, set to 75cd. Pulls are Notifier MPS-950B, smokes are unknown.

Canadian Tire in Beacon Hill has a big EST (GE) QuickStart system, with Edwards 439D-10AWC bells on EST 403-5A-R strobe plates. Outside, there’s Edwards 439D-6AWC bells, with EST 405-7A-T strobes under them or beside them. Pulls are older EST SIGA-270, and the smokes are I think EST SIGA-PS or Edwards 6264B.

Natick Mall Parking Garage F - Natick, MA
Panel: Simplex 4010 (located at the main stairs on the 1st floor)

Pull stations: 2099-9138’s
Signals: Wheelock ASWP horn/strobes in outdoor areas, NS horn/strobes in enclosed areas. (and some RSS/RSSWP strobes.)

Wegmans - Natick, MA
Panel: Gamewell-FCI E3 (the panel is located near the checkouts, and there’s an annunciator near the entrance.)

Pull stations: MS-7AF’s

Signals: Wheelock Exceder horn/strobes

Did a couple of K-O the Kangaroo mascot gigs this week…

The first one was at the Good Samaritan hospital here in Brockton. Since I was last there, the hospital had a new emergency wing added, and a few minor renovations to some parts. They have a huge Notifier voice-evac system with a mix of devices from the 90s to the present; I remember seeing the panel in the main lobby (from behind the receptionist desk) and it appeared to be an NFS-3030 or similar. For the most part, the alarms are a mix of Wheelock E7070-WM-24 speaker/strobes from the 90s and Wheelock E70-24MCW speaker/strobes that are obviously newer. The added-on emergency wing has Wheelock E50 speaker/strobes. The pulls are a mix of Notifier BGX-101Ls (basically their addressable BG-10L) and NBG-12LXs, with the latter mainly found in renovated areas. The smoke detectors are a mix of Notifier FSP-851s and older System Sensor 2400s that are probably the addressable Notifier version. Generally the devices are consistent in certain areas, but there are exceptions (there’s a hallway that has the newer E70-24MCW speaker/strobes but the older Notifier pulls and detectors, while the main lobby has the older E70-WM speaker/strobes and the newer NBG-12LX pulls and FSP-851 detectors.)

This morning I did a K-O appearance at a brand new elementary school in Holbrook, MA. It was opened last fall, and is very nice and state of the art. It’s actually going to be part of the first preK-12 school building in the state; so far only the elementary school section is up and running, and they are still constructing the middle/high school section (both sections will be blocked off from each other, to avoid conflicting lower with upper grades.) Not surprisingly, it has an EST voice-evac system (as many new school buildings built here in eastern Massachusetts since the late 90s tend to go with EST for some reason). There was an EST-3 remote annunciator in the main vestibule with a Space Age Electronics graphic annunciator next to it, which suggests the school’s main fire alarm panel is an EST-3. The alarm signals consist of red wall-mount Genesis speaker/strobes in the hallways and in large rooms like the cafetorium and the media center, red ceiling-mount Genesis speaker/strobes in the classrooms, and red wall-mount Genesis remote strobes with the white “FIRE” lettering in smaller offices, restrooms and in a conference center I changed into costume in. The smoke detectors were SIGA2-PS photoelectric heads, and not surprisingly the pulls were dual-action SIGA-278s behind Stopper II covers.

This new school replaces an old elementary that’s a little ways up from it. I initially ended up driving there as the GPS in my phone directed me there by mistake (the new and old schools share the same name, which I am not saying for privacy reasons). The old school was built in 1964, with an old Edwards fire alarm system with 384 surface-mount Adaptahorns, 270-SPO pull stations and old Edwards heat detectors (rebranded Chemtronics 500 heat sensors.) The old Edwards panel and annunciator are still intact but have many lights on, and I saw what looked like a newer Fire-Lite panel or something tied into the old Edwards one. Interestingly, the old clock system was Simplex, with the same familiar square clocks most of my schools had, along with what appeared to be 6" Simplex “STR” 4017 school bells. There is a newer digital master clock replacing the old Simplex one; I couldn’t tell the manufacturer but it definitely wasn’t Simplex.
I saw that because when I drove up to the old school, I went to the front door and rang the doorbell, but nobody answered, and I checked through the nearby windows to find that it was abandoned. That was when I looked up the address of the new school and headed right there. The staff at the new school understood the mistake, saying it’s not the first time that’s happened.

After visiting my Nana’s for Mother’s Day, we stopped by the Kwik Trip off of Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin. The store probably had a small Silent Knight 5700 system, but had ceiling-mounted Wheelock Exceeder horn/strobes. In the bathrooms and above the cashier area are ceiling Exceeder strobes. Pulls are Silent Knight PS-DAs.

Stonewood Grill in Port Orange has Wheelock ET1070-LSM-VFR Speaker/Strobes, one Wheelock ET-1080-LSM-24-VFR Speaker/Strobe, and Dual-Action RSG T-Bars (with no branding). Not sure about smokes/heats since they have Sprinklers in the building. Saw no annunicator or remote mic, so my assumption is that this is a late 1990s/early 2000s Autocall system with an EVAX panel.

Was on a field trip on Friday, and here are the systems…
Kendall Square Blue Parking Garage - Cambridge, MA
Pull stations: Fire-Lite and Gamewell-FCI BG-12’s.

Detectors: System Sensor heat detectors (both older and newer) at elevators.
Signals: SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes. :roll:

Biogen Community Lab - Cambridge, MA
Panel: Notifier NFS2-3030 (saw the LCD-160 annunciator)
Pull stations: NBG-12LX’s

Signals: SpectrAlert Advance speaker/strobes

Is that wall the SpectrAlert Advance on a bit sideways or is that how you took the picture?

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=80433 time=1526462702 user_id=18]

Is that wall the SpectrAlert Advance on a bit sideways or is that how you took the picture?

[/quote]

It is how I took the picture

Home Depot near Tuscany has a Notifier NFS-320C or AFP-400 (LCD-80 annunciator at entrance), with mainly System Sensor SpectrAlert P1224MC horn/strobes, on the ceiling. In the garden centre, there are the previous horn/strobes mentioned on the wall with shelter, but the areas without shelter have System Sensor SpectrAlert H12/24W horns. Pulls are mostly Notifier NBG-12LX, but in the garden centre with the H12/24W horns are Notifier MPS-950B with Stoppers. I didn’t see any smoke detectors.

The Schaumberg Boomers stadium probably has a Simplex 4100 system with Simplex rectangular NAs, most likely 4903-9142 speaker strobes as well as 4904-9137 strobes, put surprisingly everywhere not outside. All pull stations are Simplex 2099-9795s

Mariano’s and CVS Pharmacy in Northbrook both have medium and small Fire-Lite systems respectively with ceiling mounted spectrAlert Advance horn/strobes and strobes in a pattern like installation, but any working area or low ceiling (in Mariano’s for this one) gets only remote strobes. Pulls are Fire-Lite BG-12s.