Fire Alarms in video games

Here’s a YT vid. (Alarms start at 7:06)

1 Like

I have no doubt in my mind that the graphic designers of these games use real alarms as inspiration.

I got bored so I drew fire alarms in Hammer and put them in a level I am making for Portal. There will be a section where an emergency exit door unlocks ONLY if the fire alarm gets activated and a door in a test chamber is going to malfunction and catch fire.
Here are the alarms I made.

I scanned my RSS and my BG-10 and made the scans into texture files then applied them to a block brush. In Hammer I put a light in front of it and hooked it to a logic_timer to flash like a strobe.
Note: I chose the RSS because the cover is flat and can be removed. I chose the BG-10 because it is one of the few pulls I have in my collection that both slides DOWN when pulled and is flat on the front.

VERY NICE! If and when it’s ready for release, I’d definitely get it.

Also I just got F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate, and there are SS 2400 smokes (with activated LEDs), along with the Honeywell S464A pulls that all other F.E.A.R. games have. The SpectrAlert Classic SFX also makes a return appearance as a metal detector alarm. They used it in the first game when the FA in the Armacham building goes off, (See my YT Vid) as well as in F.E.A.R. 2 in the hospital (FA) and later in the game as warning alarms.

In the game Smackdown vs Raw 2011 horizontal 4903s can be seen in the backstage areas, placed at pull station heights.

Sorry for the bad quality, seen on a JTV stream.

I find it unusual that someone would take the time to put a fire alarm like that in a video game. It looks just like the real thing! Most games that have fire alarms in them just stick to the generic bell.

As mentioned before, in Duke Nukem 3D, there are pulls scattered throughout the first stage of the game. They look like this:

Kind of looks like the ESL 103-01 pull.

However, there is a High Resolution Pack for the game which replaces the textures with higher quality ones and makes the monsters 3D models. Anyways, here’s what the texture artists chose for the pulls:

I apologize for bumping this topic, but in the HQ of Ghostbusters: The Video Game, there are some 6" fire bells inside, along with some ceiling-mounted heat detectors.

I should also add, that in some of the buildings you visit, there are break-glass t-bar pull stations which closely resemble Simplex models.

In Battlefield 3 there’s a level where Simplex 4100U Slow Whoop can be heard in the background, probably used as a general alarm sound. And anyone who played or saw the Multiplayer Beta knows a generic Slow Whoop sounded when a base was close to being destroyed. I imagine that the MP will still have the same sound.

Here’s a clip of the alarm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5q-l-_DQ8U&feature=watch_response&t=5m40s

Warning, lots of explosions follow.

From Jimmy Neutron: Attack of the Twonkies; the Retroville Elementary School level has 10" fire bells w/ pull stations (custom made). Two of these can be pulled, which sets them off in continuous.

There’s a smoke alarm in Saints Row: The Third. It’s in the Saint’s Penthouse crib (you have to earn it)

Looks like they used this clipart image for it.

Haven’t seen any FA or other smoke alarms yet.

From James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire:

The level “Bad Diplomacy” has pull stations that look like alarm boxes (gray) w/ yellow/black stripes across the top and bottom, the word “ALARM” written in red, and a big red button in the middle. If activated–which fails the mission–the alarm is a very fast whoop.

There are some other levels with alarms, so I will post them later.

Gears of War 3 has fire alarms on the Checkout map

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkFqfQy1WEs&feature=related&t=0m11s - note I have the first parts skipped because there are possible objectionable words in the intros.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlmCMtnkE6Y&feature=relmfu&t=0m09s
The pull has a bell image and has a handle on the bottom and has a profile like an EST/Edwards 270 series. It triggers a 1-second on, 3-second off buzzer tone and a burglar-alarm siren tone, lasting for 15 seconds.

James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire

Level 1 features the same alarm boxes as in level 4, but when set off, the alarm is a slow march time tone. There is also the sound of a klaxon alarm towards the end of the mission (in the part with the submarine launch).

In level 5, the alarm boxes return, except some of them have black or gray trims around the box. The alarm tone is a slower version of the fast whoop heard in level 4. The alarms can be set off from guards, breaking a pane of glass (where a gun is held), or downloading data (later in the level) without disabling the port alarms first. Also, in the underground scene, are some emergency shut-off valves on some of the tanks (they cannot be tampered with, however).

In level 8, the alarm boxes return for the beginning of the level, mounted on a ground pole w/ orange-yellow trim. The alarms, if set off, consist of a slow march time tone and slow whoop.

In levels 9 and 10, there are klaxon alarms that can be heard at various points throughout the mission (level 9 has klaxon alarms at the beginning and end, for example).

007: Nightfire

In the mission “The Exchange”, there is a klaxon alarm that sounds if Bond is spotted by searchlights or if he cuts the wrong wire to disable the searchlights.

In the mission “Night Shift”, there are security call points (gray box w/ a red light in the middle, bell sign over the call point) that can be activated by Bond or the night guards, which sets off a fast march time alarm tone, causes the red light to flash, and also fails the mission. There is one actual fire call box (European style) that can be seen later in the mission, but cannot be activated. There are also white, wall-mount speakers scattered throughout the mission as well. These devices make a reappearance in “Phoenix Fire”, but serve no purpose in the mission other than for background decoration.

007: Nightfire

In the level “Deep Descent”, a klaxon alarm sounds at the end as James faces off against a submarine.

In the level “Island Infiltration”, the security call points from the mission Night Shift return, which, if activated, sounds an alarm tone in slow march time.