I wrote an essay

I have written what i hope to be a decent essay. if anyone is interested in reading it, let me know.

1 Like

Id like to read it I am a writer but I like to read other peoples work too

1 Like
2 Likes

My thoughts on your essay:
#1: First & foremost, companies have their reasons for discontinuing products: better technology, better designs, code changes, etc. It usually makes perfect sense when they do discontinue some products & replace them with others, but just the same that doesn’t mean that we can’t do our part to help preserve them: if anything it’s important that actual buildings have the best life safety systems & devices they can (including the most up-to-date). In fact some of the devices you listed, such as lights & frosted strobes, were phased out over time due to changes in regulations, thus a lot of them will never be coming back.

#2: Edwards/EST’s Genesis does temporal 3 by default, thus as long as the NAC they’re connected to remains on continuous they’ll do temporal 3 as required by regulations (though if the system’s coding is changed to temporal 3 so that all signals sound in the pattern so as to be code-compliant then there might be a problem (though there’s always the option of running the Genesises off separate NAC extenders/power supplies that are set to continuous, which would solve the problem).

#3: Most of the time when systems are upgraded everything in them is replaced for consistency, in the cases where only inoperative devices are replaced however there’s usually no concern for differences (including operation-wise) between devices (if anything some systems are left on their previous/original pulse pattern (such as continuous or march time) even if it’s not compliant with regulations): as long as the system works properly & is approved that’s all that usually matters. Upgrades may be expensive, but they’re routine, & as I’ve said they’re the best way of ensuring that the whole system works the best it can.

#4: I definitely agree with you on not botching replacements like that, but sometimes I guess companies have no choice.

#5: I don’t think a system with AC signals could be properly controlled & monitored by a newer DC panel as it would be impossible for the panel to supervise them (due to differing current types): more than likely the original AC signals would probably have to be replaced with DC ones so that they could be supervised by the control panel.

#6: In the case of devices in that second system (the one with the two expansions) having to be replaced due to breakdowns over time, again, I highly doubt anyone (including the “code authorities”) would care about the mishmash of devices in the system: as long as it worked (& like I said only if the entire system was upgraded would everything most likely get replaced). When it comes to the problem of having to mount newer devices onto bell grilles, I’ve seen how it’s done: they zip-tie or bolt the signals to them, sometimes cutting a hole in the grille itself if necessary. I highly doubt most people would want to tamper with such a thing as well, even if the wires weren’t so easily accessible (though just the same they might be put in conduit to help protect them, especially as doing so may be required by code).

#7: On the contrary Simplex’s 4207 & 4208 may be outdated & overly-complicated circuitry/design-wise by today’s standards, but even so they’re still very reliable, a lot of them having held up in operation to this day, & their capabilities are often quite impressive considering the era they were made in & the technology that went into them.

#8: Those last two lines of your essay don’t make any sense whatsoever since like I’ve said newer devices are already designed to keep people plenty safe (if not safer than their older counterparts), & once again I doubt anybody at all will care if the devices aren’t consistent as long as the system still works & is still approved by the AHJ.

#1: fair enough, but i wrote this for fun, and i know a lot of people want this.
#2: yeah, but that makes the flashing of the 2904s even more erratic.
#3: i talked about that.
#4: metal plates are a choice.
#5: SPST relays exist.
#6: people are not always like that when money is on the line.
#7: right, but what happens when you hook strobes up?
#8: again, this was for fun, and i have no intention of showing anyone with authority this.

#1 & #8: I couldn’t tell that you supposedly weren’t being serious.
#2: That’s when “splitting” up the NACs is necessary (in most cases by having to add new wiring for another NAC: one for the audible signals, one for the visual signals).
#3: I’m not sure you did but okay.
#4: Yes, trim plates too (which I’d say are the ideal solution).
#5: Yes, but the problem is is that they don’t allow direct supervision of the NAs themselves: even if you monitor the wiring hooked to the relay on one side with an EOL resistor, you can’t do the same with the wiring for the AC signals on the other side, thus if the power to the latter fails you won’t know, thus presenting a danger of the signals unknowingly failing to sound.
#6: All the time you see systems with random assortments of devices & nobody in the industry thinks anything of it (because like I said: as long as it works & is approved).
#7: Dual-NAC/code wheel circuits were a thing on some 4207s/4208s, in fact you could probably leave the code wheel out on one of the circuits to enable continuous output for things like strobes (though most 4207/4208 systems probably don’t stick around for long enough to get to run strobes, at least on actual systems).

regarding solely the stuff about the 420 (haha) series panels, the only issue is the motor. if it was not for that, i would actually like it a lot, but that motor is just a huge issue.

also, just saying, i write essays for fun. if you want me to write an essay regarding your opinion on a matter or know someone who does, let me know.

Really? Not sure I’ve ever heard of reliability problems stemming from the motor(s) that drive(s) the code wheel(s): heck for all we know said motor(s) may be more reliable than modern-day ones given the era in which it (& by extension the 4207/4208) was made.

have you seen henbasket’s 4207?

Yes, did the code wheel motor fail on his?

no, but it runs at an inconsistent rate.

i even asked him in the comments.

Oh, okay. That might be just his though, as the one NewAgeServerAlarm once demonstrated seemed to run fairly well. No technology’s perfect anyway.

So you are complaining about an industry in which there have been no one complaining about the cost or anything like that ever. It’s only enthusiasts who seem to care and to be honest, I don’t blame you, but you have to realize that this is the way it is and this is how it always is and how it will be.

as i said, i am not sending this to anyone.

never said you where

My inner teaching assistant got me (and I’m procrastinating going to sleep right now haha).
See attached file. I can answer clarifying questions but please do not make me look at another draft.

As a rule of thumb, do not shove 40 sentences into a single paragraph. A paragraph should highlight a single idea or point you’re trying to make, not trail on multiple ideas even if they’re related. Really, your paper is related to a topic, so split it up so it’s easier on the mind.

1 Like

How would you say I did in attempting to “debunk” electromaniac’s essay?

elaborate on ‘debunk’.

As I believe Bousai Guy himself did as well he & I both pointed out that a lot of what you said in that essay of yours is illogical &/or doesn’t make sense.