I wrote an essay

he wrote this for fun

i already said that.

Here is a summary of the essay made by ChatGPT in case people are too lazy to read it:

The essay argues that fire alarm system components should continue to be produced even after new series are released. The author highlights several reasons to support this claim.

Firstly, replacing older devices with new ones can lead to code compliance issues. The author presents an example of how different devices may not sync or sound off properly in an emergency situation, potentially compromising building evacuation. Moreover, the change in power supply from DC to FWR can affect the volume and tone of the alarms, and the flashing speed of strobes may exceed acceptable levels. While some devices from other companies may work with these codes, the author emphasizes the importance of consistency.

Secondly, the essay discusses the issue of appearance. Retrofitting devices and running wires through grilles can result in a messy and potentially non-compliant installation. The author provides an example of a building with different-colored visual signals due to the replacement of a device, which may confuse people. The use of adapter plates may not fully cover the holes left by previous devices, and the accessibility of wires poses a risk of accidental disconnection.

The essay acknowledges that some old devices have major flaws and should not be brought back. However, the author advocates for the production of common and reliable panels and devices from all ages to ensure consistent operations.

Finally, the essay addresses the cost factor. Replacing an entire fire alarm system can be expensive, including the cost of new devices, panels, pull stations, smoke detectors, contractors, and materials. The author suggests that continuing the production of older devices can be a more affordable alternative.

In conclusion, the essay argues that keeping older fire alarm devices in production is beneficial for the specific needs of buildings and the safety of occupants, despite changes in codes. The author emphasizes the importance of code compliance, appearance, and cost considerations in supporting this stance.

1 Like

thanks, man. also, check out the link i’m gonna paste below. i think you would like it.

2 Likes

Reply for your #3:
I agree. My old elementary school that opened in 1995 had a Simplex 4002 with 2901-9838 horns on 4903-9105 strobe plates. Around 2014, they replaced the panel with a Simplex 4007es. They changed the old and worn out initiation devices for new addressable Simplex devices. The old NA’s were, and still are to this day, in perfect condition so they left those. Despite not being up to code because they have to be on continuous to function properly and the strobes are not capable of synchronizing, they still alert the occupants of the building effectively and I don’t see them getting replaced anytime soon.