Name That Fire Alarm!

Ya nailed it. This U-MHT is the CP version. They are very pleasant sounding as far as fire alarms go.

Now, this will be way too easy.

(Bonus points if you can tell me the candela rating)

Are we limiting this thread to notification appliances, or can we throw in some
initiating devices as well?

That’s a U-MMT horn/strobe. I think it’s 15 candelas. The U-MMT is the louder counterpart to the U-MHT.

good to know, as my mom’s new apartment has red CP U-MMT horn/strobes in the halls and a beige U-MHT remote horn in the apartments (never heard a U-MHT in person, have many times heard the U-MMT up close [mine] )

Sorry of this pic is on the large side

The U-MHTs are not loud at all, they sound kind of like an electronic chime, quite polite as far as notification appliances go.

It still ought to wake you up from a sound sleep tho.

-b-

Name that fire alarm!

Now that’s cool! I saw one of those on ebay once. Is it made by System Sensor?

Looks like the Federal Signal speakers they had at the hospital with the 2120 with some kind of grill/wedge strobe added.

1 Like

There was one of those in the subway of the Kahler Hotel in Rochester. The strobe had KIDDE CORNER FIRE ALARM on it.

Here’s a Federal Signal Vibratone 450D Horn with Federal Signal VALS strobe that I found in Norwood, Massachusetts.

From Quincy Center Station, Red Line platform in Quincy, MA, here’s another Space Age fire alarm. Here’s yet, another Space Age AV32 horn/strobe, same model as he ones at the Shaw’s Supermarket on the east side of Brockton, MA. Best clarity of one I ever caught. I guess some places prefer the older electric horns over newer, modern electronic horns.

That almost looks like a Wheelock horn behind the AV32. Maybe an AES on it’s side or something?

AES?

Yep, that’s either a Wheelock EH or an AES (most likely an EH; the AES is really only used in releasing systems or residential fire/security combo systems)

I never realized that the AES was used only in those instances, thanks for that little tid bit.

Thanks for solving the mystery! I had the feeling the EHs must’ve dated back to the 1980s or something (the East Side Shaw’s Supermarket in Brockton, MA has those horns behind the SAE AV32 strobe plates as part of a Simplex 2001 system.)

Oh, and tpirman1982, you said “I guess some places prefer the older electric horns over newer, modern electronic horns.” Keep in mind that in the mid-to-late 1980s and the early 1990s, in addition to their 2DCD horns (rebranded Vibratone 450s), they also often used Wheelock’s horns with the AV32 light/strobe plates, usually either Wheelock 34/34Ts or those EHs.

Yeah thats cool. I’ve seen those alarms at the station from inside the train, but never up close like that.

From Kendall MBTA Red Line Station, here’s a Space Age fire alarm, but it doesn’t look like the traditional Space Age horn behind the grill

And from the South Station Bus Terminal, name that fire alarm

What a coincidence. I passed through there today. It’s most likely a Federal 450 behind that SAE strobe plate.

Federal SelecTone speaker with the non-ADA strobe.

After those recent Space Age finds, I guess I have Space Age fever! :lol:

Actually I think that’s one of those Faraday horns without the front grilles they used to make for installing behind some retrofit plates. The Science and Technology buildings at my college used to have those horns behind Standard light plates! Ironically, they were replaced with Space Age VA4 horn/strobes (guess I’M getting the Space Age Fever too!)