New Simplex Foundation Series Panels

Unless it sounds like the Truealert ES. But there is no test footage that I can find but hopefully soon…

1 Like

Even if you found such they probably sound the same, so the only way we’d be able to know then is by asking JCI.

It would appear after only a few seconds of googling that they are multitone

Most likely to comply with the EU/UK Fire Alarm Standards.

The datasheets were posted sometime last month.

https://docs.johnsoncontrols.com/simplex/v/u/Simplex/en-US/2250-Fire-Alarm-Control-Unit/1

There’s also an Autocall version.

https://docs.autocall.com/v/u/Autocall/en-US/A250-Fire-Alarm-Control-Unit/1

As has been shared previously, the Foundation Series uses the “MX” protocol for initiating devices. It DOES NOT use the IDNet protocol, so “panel swap” upgrades from a 4008, etc. are a no-go.

Refer to the datasheets for a list of compatible devices.

I don’t work for JCI, so I have no information beyond what’s publicly available - this means I have no idea as to whether the Foundation Series will eventually be expanded to include larger panels or not - although the name implies it’s the start of something bigger.

Well that kinda stinks, though I guess on the upside we’ll be getting a new Simplex addressable protocol & thus new types of Simplex addressable devices (there’s also always the chance that Simplex might devise an “interface module” that would allow IDNet devices to be connected to a Foundation series panel).

Still seems like it’s taking them a ridiculously long time to actually release these panels after showcasing them last year.

Semi related, but currently the only MX addressable manual activation devices that are publicly visible on Simplex’s site are break-glass call points, and the MX addressable smoke detectors look very different. The call points are UL-listed but the PDFs you posted don’t mention them, so I wonder if both call points and pull stations will be available, or if only pull stations will be.

Well, they have done the opposite for the ES series of panels, so it’s not entirely out of the question that they might do that, but the lack of an IDNET adapter being mentioned on the PDFs doesn’t look good for your wishes

These things take time, Carson. Remember how long it was between us finding out about the 59AV series, and it actually being announced for the American market?

Yeah (though for all we know they might introduced such a module when the panels are released or later on in their development cycle).

It still makes no sense to me why they would announce them last year & then wait at least another year to actually release them (if they will this year that is). Also no: I don’t think I was really monitoring the industry back then (& I guess I’m still not now).

Here are the datasheets of the initiating devices that are for use with the Foundation Series (these devices are the ones mentioned in the panel datasheets).
Pull stations: Simplex Knowledge Exchange
Detectors: Simplex Knowledge Exchange
Both of these datasheets have a “Product selection” table with the model numbers.

The MX protocol detectors with the QR codes have popped up on eBay. (archive). I know MX devices existed before the Foundation Series panels, but this might be a sign of the panels hitting the market.

The design looks similar to the regular TrueAlarm smoke detectors. This might make it hard for some to distinguish this from an older model IMO.

1 Like

The led placement, the QR code, and the dip switches being on the head makes it more obvious

If I remember correctly, the QR code is just a sticker, but the LED definitely is a tell-tale sign

I’m curious to see if these detectors will incorporate newer optical technology like forward and reverse scatter, and maybe blue light.

If Simplex wants to match Edwards in that field they will.

Well, then they probably won’t, which is a shame because that’s cool technology, and they will soon seem dated. (Though I’m pretty sure they’re still making ionization sensors.)

I wonder if simplex will make a laser detector like notifier

Yeah. I think almost no manufacturers make ionization detectors anymore though.

My point exactly. Simplex doesn’t want to switch from old technology to newer technology, unless it means they can be proprietary

Pretty sure Simplex is among the manufacturers that don’t make ionization smoke detectors nowdays.