Odd fire alarms

A Gamewell M69 with a pull down sticker in the handle

I’d say is even more interesting that they pull has a key reset option on it. All of the other M69’s that I’ve seen haven’t.

Example:

1 Like

That Ganewell with the key reset is from Rochester MN’s Kahler Inn & Suites. They have a Simplex (?) system with 9838s on 9101 strobe plates and TrueAlerts (in an area which had 40x0s behind grilles). The pulls are these and Simplex 4051s. I took that photo on 9/22/2009

Old Honeywell Fire Alarm system - still in service. Stainless steel covers - still dials out to the local fireboard via a tape dialer. A beast to work with!

You sir, have won the topic for today.

That is pretty neat!

1 Like

That’s a RARE system there!

Judging by the attachment, that is a Honeywell system.

1 Like

Indeed it is, as the poster said…

lol this isn’t the “Guess That Fire Alarm” Thread :wink:

Lambda, so about how old is that panel then?

I believe the system was originally installed in 1981. It serves a 12 story building and there are sub panels on the floors but they just have a generic beige cover. Somehow it is tied into the building automation system and you have to reset the panel shown in the picture and do a reset on a computer behind you to get the system to fully reset. Once time it took 20 minutes to reset because something wasn’t agreeing. The smoke detectors are just as old. And there are smoke detectors in the lobby atrium that if you trip them, it dumps 4 deluge systems that floods the lobby out! Yeah, just like “in the movies”.

Why would it take a full 20 minutes to reset?

Here’s some more eye candy for you…

An old Kiddie CR-12 fire alarm panel that was in an empty wing of a nursing home. Dated Feb 8, 1955. There were no longer any devices connected up to it but it still had 120V going to the power supply and the system was displaying 12V on the meter! Batteries may be a little out of date…

[attachment=2]CIMG0028.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]CIMG0027.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]CIMG0030.jpg[/attachment]

Why can’t that panel use a modern dialer?

[attachment=1]CIMG0031.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]CIMG0032.jpg[/attachment]

It was a 30 year old fire alarm panel that was about 20 years past it’s prime! After I threatened to turn it into a new refrigerator, she cooperated. But seriously, probably just a glitch and something hung up with the computer system. Both had to be reset at the same time to reset the panel. The 20 minute reset only happened once. Other times was quick.

Looks like those Eveready batteries put out 14 volts DC.

I don’t see why it couldn’t. Just what was put in 30 years ago, was allowed, and still worked. Located in Delaware and code there applies to when the building was built. If it was built in 1981, building owner could follow the codes from 1981 unless he did a complete renovation. There was a kill switch for it and we would still call the fireboard just in case.

I only knew of one other location that used a tape dialer that called directly and that was a fire station.

How many fire alarm systems still use tape dialers?

Very, very, very rare. In fact, I believe 72 doesn’t even allow it anymore.

Can’t they just put new notification appliances in?