One better not be in Home Depot when the fire alarm goes off

Yes, they were made. Plenty of buildings in my area have them. Ceiling-mount SpectrAlert classics on the ceiling.

Advances are popular as well

Yeah. The Advances are made these days. The classics have been discontinued.

Every Walmart that I have ever been to (unless I was visiting somewhere when I was young), except for one had either ceiling mounted SpectrAlert classics, or SpectrAlert Advancedā€™s on the ceiling.

Yep. One Walmart in my area, an older Walmart, has SpectrAlert Classics on the ceiling. They replaced wall-mount Wheelock MTs. Thereā€™s a couple of Wheelock MTs still hanging on the wall in a couple of areas. A newer Walmart has Wheelock speaker/strobes. They use those for the PA announcements.

That ā€œoneā€ Walmart I mentioned had Wheelock ASā€™s mounted on the columns. There are no new Walmarts around me, but it seems like the new ones tend to have voic evac.

Yep, and they use the speaker/strobes for the PA announcements. I think itā€™s cheaper this way. They just have to install speaker/strobes instead of installing speaker/strobes and PA speakers or horn/strobes and PA speakers.

It just looks funny (and can cause confusion) when there are red fire alarm speakers.

The Walmarts that use the fire alarm speakers for PA speakers donā€™t have red fire alarm speakers, but fire alarm speakers that resemble normal PA speakers. Only in the restrooms are there red wall-mount fire alarm speakers.

I meant for the areas (like the restrooms with red speakers):

I think that Walmarts historically tended to have wall-mount Wheelock ASā€™s/MTs and then later would tend to have ceiling-mount SpectrAlerts.

I think youā€™re right. That Walmart I was talking about with the ASā€™s did look kind of old.

When I was a bit younger, I remember an older Wal-Mart that I have been to that was several hours away from my house (We were doing errands but ended up having to go to an other part of the state) had Wheelock 7002T horn/strobes. I havenā€™t been back there since so I donā€™t know if they updated.

Wow, Walmart seems to be good with renovating old buildings, I wonder why that is still that way.

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard of some Walmarts that donā€™t have any NAs in them.

<URL url="Wal-Mart and Fire Alarms text=ā€œviewtopic.php?f=3&t=2259ā€>Wal-Mart and Fire Alarms

Well, Walmart took over a lot of defunct anchors like Bradleeā€™s, Caldor, and K-Mart, so I doubt they would change alarms unless they needed to.

K-mart is not defunct. While theyā€™ve closed their stores in some areas, they still have stores in other areas. The Kmart in my area, for instance, is still in business.

I was talking about the individual stores being defunct.

I managed to find out that the Wal-Mart that I was at in question a couple of years ago used to be a Barnes and Noble.