Pulling the fire alarm in a non-fire emergency

Hello all.

I have a question concerning the pulling of a fire alarm pull station in a non-fire emergency. Say I’m at an outdoor hotel, where the doors to all the rooms are accessible from outside, and I go out of my room at night to buy a drink from the vending machine. If I were to be attacked (mugged, robbed, assaulted, etc) would it be okay for me to pull the fire alarm to cause a distraction and attract attention?

In some cases, I can see why. If I got mugged like in an outdoor hotel, I would pull. But you SHOULDN"T PULL THE ALARM if the vending machine is open. Pull it if there is a fire, or robbery. Don’t pull it for anything else.

That’s an interesting thing to think about. Although it’s a good idea, and might be beneficial as far as saving yourself, I wouldn’t do it. Yelling for help would make more sense. That’s a really tough one.

If people evacuate, they will see the mugger and save you. But yelling for help is a way too.

The other night in Boston someone pulled the system for a medical call, a woman down. Obviously they could have called 911.

Also a couple of years ago there was a post here about a teacher who pulled the alarm because he was having, IIRC, a heart attack.

I would think that it would be okay. I think I remember seeing a horn/strobe going off on the news back when the Aurora, Colorado shooting happened. That was one way to attract the attention of first responders.

I think the alarms probably activated due to the amount of smoke from the gas/smoke bombs that the shooter through. If not, mnaually activating the fire alarm system would have been an effective way to evacuate the rest of the movie theater.

I did in the third grade because we were doing a fire drill and that’s what got me started in firealarms

For a medical situation, this wouldn’t be a bad idea. The fire trucks have medical equipment and supplies.

As for a burglar/mugger situation, screaming would draw attention to your self and not the alarms. Of course people would evacuate and maybe see you, but screaming loud is best. If your mouth is covered, and your hand is free, then pull the alarm.

Because his teacher needed medical attention.He thought she was going to pass out or something Because she reported she was dizzy and could not stand by her self. She then blacked out.He is on 4th grade and did not know what to do,so he pulled the fire alarm(in his school a teacher will walk around to every room if its pulled) to get help.After this it turns out it was just her being sick or something and he got in a load of trouble.I do not think he should had been in any trouble what so ever.He could had saved her life.What do you think?He is only a small child but was smart enough to know a teacher would come if he pulled it, your input?..

Merged with the already existing topic. Please check to make sure that a similar topic doesn’t already exist before making a new one.

Yea I do not get this site Ive never used it and ever time I mess up I get hatred and Looked down on so good bye I guess ill take my chances its better to mess something up then put up with all these rude people that do not understand not everyone is advanced as them.Rate 1 star Good day (And this was no pointed 100% to you)

Excuse me. The posters were simply helping you. You were pointed in the right direction and the topics merged to make it easier for everyone involved. U8oL0, a moderator, simply asked you to please simply search the forum, or have a quick look before posting. I will say however that the post in which you were linked to was posted in within just the last few days and would not have been difficult to find.

We are ALL being NICE and helping you. We are the MOST active fire alarm forum out there with over 250 Members.
No need to be calling us rude.

You accidentally quoted Jake. You didn’t mean to do that, did you?

Anyway, the kid shouldn’t have gotten into trouble. I mean c’mon, he didn’t know what to do and his teacher was blacking out!

I know, and I agree. At least he took action! If he was an adult, I wouldn’t be as sympathetic.

The kid was most likely panicking

Please just drop it.I can confirm that some one is brirng very rude but doing it Over facebook.
No need to stick your nose in my wear abouts