Today's Job

Trouble bell, alarm siren, and remote lamp for the Pyr-A-Larm system

[attachment=2]IMG_20140912_084301_786.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]IMG_20140912_115126_061.jpg[/attachment]
These were LOUD - sounded like an air-raid siren going off

[attachment=0]IMG_20140912_083838_636.jpg[/attachment]

Now THAT is a really cool system!

These were also in the building. Some sort of “emergency alarm” for the telephone company. For those of you unfamiliar, “Bell System” was the old term for the telephone company. These were not connected to the fire alarm panel. But the telephone company monitors itself at a central location, I imagine these report to that central location to let them know there is a situation in the building and dispatch help. Maybe even a sort of early panic alarm.

[attachment=0]IMG_20140912_102206_936.jpg[/attachment]

And I got to play with it :lol:

We actually ended up burning up one of the EOL resistors on the horn circuit. It takes a 5 Watt resistor (typical EOL resistors on NAC circuits are 1/4 to 1/2 Watt) and someone along the line replaced the original resistor with a 1/4 Watt. Well, when we rang the horns, that little resistor couldn’t handle the current I guess and it burnt up! Of course, our contact there says “Yeah, the last couple of times we’ve had a problem with that”.

But going through the telephone company central office is interesting in itself. Just the massive amount of equipment, wiring, electronics, etc they have there can make an electronics geek like myself go nuts! The battery area is a little scary. Sort of look like clear 5 gallon buckets all interconnected supplying 48 Volts DC on “unfused” buses. You think getting shocked by a car battery was bad, hate to think what could happen to a person from these!

God bless anyone that unlucky… :shock:

Oooh, that Pyrotronics pull station is like the one I have. I need a key for it badly. That building didn’t have spares, did it?

1 Like

Only one spare key. I’m sure all the extras were picked up a long, long, time ago!

Damn…I really need one of those keys.

I have a few of those pulls with different names on them. Autocall, Autocall with a secondary key switch, Pyrotronics, and Reeve.

I did take a picture of the key. Maybe you could machine something up that would work?

Maybe. Could you send me the pic? It would be a nice reference to show people when I ask.

1 Like

Here’s a picture of the battery area (not the one I was at on Friday, this is from another site but the same idea). The metal bar on top of the batteries is what’s carrying the current between them. You definitely don’t want to touch that!

[attachment=0]IMG_20131122_131545_092.jpg[/attachment]

Here you go. Looks pretty simple, ears at 12 o’clock & 3 o’clock.

[attachment=0]IMG_20140912_084432_609.jpg[/attachment]

:shock: DAMN THAT WOULD SUCK!

Thanks, I know I had seen a pic of the key before, but I was too stupid to save it.

I’m not sure why, but whenever someone removes and then sells one of those pulls, nobody EVER saves the key.

I’ll see if one can be made, but in the mean time, if there are ever numerous spares that anyone comes across, I’d appreciate one.

[quote] Going to start this thread [/quote]

You do realize that with PHPBB, they are not threads. They are called topics. Can you please fix that?

You do realize that “PHPBB” is really spelled phpBB. Can you please fix that?

I’m not usually one to let things get to me like that, but does it REALLY matter?

Honestly…

“Forums have a specific set of jargon associated with them; e.g. a single conversation is called a “thread”, or topic.”

It’s interchangeable.

Ok. It is really phpBB. are you guys happy now that I fixed my mistake?

Don’t “Flame” others with there spelling and life will be good…
Back on topic: