Today's Job

“Their”

:wink: :lol:

lol :lol:

This doesn’t do with fire alarms, but I’ve been working on building an siren.

@Everyone:

My post wasn’t being critical; I just thought it would be funny. I honestly don’t care about the misspelling, really.

I’ve been working on a lot of residential type buildings lately. My current project is a 10 story apartment building in Boston. The consultant engineers did a horrible job with their layout, so I’ve had to redesign each floor. :roll:

Did you have to redesign all the elevators?

I’ve found that consultant engineers typically just throw on some devices and it’s up to the fire alarm company to actually design the system. They always include verbiage in their spec or a note on the drawing stating as much too. Some of them are getting really really lazy…

This is sprinkler work, but it sounds like we go through the same crap as alarm companies do. These engineers weren’t even trying. They spotted heads over walls, sometimes had two only a foot apart on a line, and they completely skipped some rooms or didn’t have adequate coverage in some. Just complete crap. I had to white it all out and do it myself.

And no, I have nothing to do with elevators.

I hate fraternity houses! The one I was at today smelled like old, stale beer. And the place was just dirty all over. Anyway, typical of a smoke detector there…
[attachment=0]dirtysmoke.JPG[/attachment]

:lol:

We had the opposite problem quite some time back. The frat took down all the addressable smoke detectors, cleaned them, randomly put them back in.

Some time later on there was a fire in the kitchen, only the kitchen smoke detector ended up in some random room so the fire department was delayed a bit finding the fire…

The one time they have to act responsible… :lol:

I had to inspect a few frat houses and the thing that angered me was how they destroyed these places. A lot of the frat houses here are in old houses, in what used to be a premier neighborhood. These grand old houses with holes in walls and kicked out stair rungs. I wanted to sock them right in the face for their complete lack of respect for property.

This one there were 13 bedrooms, maybe 3 there was nobody there. So out of the other 10, every one the guy was still in bed. It was only 9:30 when I started going through rooms! And for the most part they were skipping class or class was starting in 5 minutes. Sometimes I feel bad about setting off the fire alarm and try to run through to keep the disruption down as much as possible. Not this morning…

I would gladly join you! :smiley: :lol:

Oh how true that is :lol: :wink:

This movie came to mind after seeing these posts about frat house damage…

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

This one was from a couple days ago but still an interesting wireless fire alarm system. A World Electronics wireless fire alarm - located at a county recycling facility. This system monitors the sprinkler risers throughout the facility and one fire alarm panel in the education building. There is also one smoke detector about the panel. The first picture is the system itself - not much, just a control board and battery. Above that (the second picture) is a gray cabinet that contains Ademco zone modules and WE relay modules. Basically, the sprinkler riser in a building is tripped, it reports wireless to the WE panel, the relay module trips and trips the zone on the Ademco FACP, the Ademco FACP calls out to the central station. Not a 100% reliable system, seems like every time we are there, there is an “interference” trouble that we can clear by doing a reset. But then we are the only ones who mess with it, the people there don’t pay much attention to the system. I wish I could get some better pictures but it’s in a 3x6 room and tough to get a good angle.

[attachment=1]we1.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]we2.JPG[/attachment]

Ran across these in a building a few days ago. The system was still active or I would’ve taken a few, I asked the GC when they were being pulled, he said within the next 5 weeks laborers would be ripping them out and tossing them if I wanted to go dumpster diving. I’m not gonna make it back down there for that though. :stuck_out_tongue:
[attachment=1]faradaypull.jpg[/attachment]

Couldn’t get a decent picture of the bells. This is also what passed for a wireguard in the gym. :lol:
[attachment=0]faradaypullwitwireguard.jpg[/attachment]

We’re replacing the entire system.

Neat, I’ve got one of those pulls.

That’s uhh…an interesting wire guard. :lol:

Ok, so I’m not a fan of cheating on duct detectors. If I need to test duct detectors, I make a concerted effort to physically get to the unit and blow smoke into it. Sometimes however, not practical. Either time constraints, physical ability to get to the unit, or just plain “cannot locate the thing” are for me valid reasons for testing via the remote test switch. So when I saw this on the job today I said to myself “hot dog!” Two hour drive up the Jersey Turnpike + new account with no paperwork + duct detectors 30’ up in the air = test switch time! Not my proudest moment but got the job done. Looks interesting but the amount of wiring used to install this configuration is insane. Every test switch has at least a 4 conductor running back to the duct detector - and this is a large retail store so you know they used a lot of wire for this.

[attachment=1]IMG_20141027_085009_243.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]IMG_20141027_090905_259.jpg[/attachment]

Conduit, nice touch! :slight_smile: