Weather Woes Vol. 3

It was absolutely crazy. There were 4 tornado warning up at once, and I believe from what I heard on the news a few minutes ago 4 possible tornadoes. Bristol was hit very hard and was one of the town where a possible tornado hit, and judging by the damage I’d say it’s a very strong possibility. Glastonbury, not more than 10 miles from me had all available firefighters man their stations as well as activating their siren system (used for both fire calls and emergencies), but was spared the worse.

Here in Vernon we got some strong winds, lots of cloud to ground lightning, and heavy rain, but no major damage that I’m aware of. Our sirens were not activated, but the sound of Federal Qs did fill the air with the numerous alarm activations that came in. I did shoot some video, just have to see how well it came out, especially the few lightning bolts I managed to catch. I may post it on YouTube this weekend if the footage is any good.

After all this sever storm business what happen now? Our town found E. Coli in the water, so we have been in a boil water act for the past 3 days now… :frowning: It’s hot and very muggy today, we could end up seing more bad storms this weekend.

It’s pouring here now. It’s been 80+ and muggy for the past couple of weeks so it’s a bit of a relief. Luckily the tornado warnings and bad storms managed to miss my area.

Sorry, but you guys in Massachusetts are going to get hit before I do for once. I’m currently hanging out in RI (with Simplex 4030 and cjf1616). We just had a line of severe t-storms roll through, but it really wasn’t anything except heavy rain. Another line will be coming through later tonight, so don’t let your guard down!

If it’s one thing I don’t do, that is let my guard down. I know that the nature of thunderstorms can be very fickle, you just never know when they will pop up and where they will drift sometimes.

It’s been a while since posting in this topic, but we need some rain around here…BAD! It has been so damn dry. I was raking in my neighbor’s yard last week and the grass (or what used to be grass) just came right out of the ground as I raked, causing dust to plume everywhere. I certainly can’t complain about the nice, hot, sunny weather that will last into the fall…but we need some good rain once and a while. I’m hoping that the new hurricane Earl or maybe even the possible Fiona will come close enough to dump off some rain, but stay far enough out to avoid total chaos and destruction.

BRACE FOR IT! lol I hope this thing does not hit1

I can’t speak for the mid-atlantic states, but it looks like here in the northeast Earl will be too far out to sea. Of course, this whole thing can change, but that’s the current thinking right now. It may just barely brush Cape Cod, but where I am, we’re expecting nothing but clouds from Earl, and rain from an approaching cold front, which is why we’re thinking Earl won’t make a big impact.

Meanwhile in the near future, it’s HOT. We’re expecting our second heatwave of the season here in the northeast; 90 tomorrow, and 93 for Wednesday and Thursday, before finally cooling off with the passage of the two systems mentioned above.

TV news is REALLY pushing this and building it up here on the coast. Since I am in a coastal city and just feet from the ocean the media is trying to get us in fear mode. But even without that we are preparing in terms of a public safety aspect. With an expectation that it does in fact impact us in a small way we do have to get ready all it takes is one small change. I could regret saying this but at this point I am no worried and not expecting more than some wind and rain.

We’ll probably get a better idea by Wednesday, but hurricanes are always very unpredictable. Even if it were to strike, I won’t have to worry about storm surge where I’m at! We could really use some rain from Earl though, the lawn is dust in some places.

Its been a while, but we are finally getting a thunderstorm after several weeks without one. This one unfortunately will be striking in the next half hour just as I will be heading out to a class… :roll: and it looks like a big one! :smiley:

Big storms to the north and south of me this afternoon and evening. But all I got was a downpour at around 12:15 PM.

Big cooldown for the middle to end of the week. Lots of wet weather too…

Wet weather we need, cool weather I could do without! :stuck_out_tongue:

We actually got a decent storm just before 6:00 this evening. I looked out my window as the storm was approaching and I looked really close and believed I saw a hail shaft. When my father returned home from picking up my younger sister he was saying that he got caught in…hail! Damn I’m good! 8) My neighborhood was on the edge of the storms core, so we got mostly rain and some thunder and lightning, but for a while there was some rotation in the storm that never ammounted to anything.
The real kick in the pants was a renagade downpour that came behind the main event. I got out of class early tonight at about 7:30 and I had to trudge up the hill to the parking lot in the downpour. Of course like an idiot I decided to wear my better shoes tonight and had to walk across the submerged parking lot to get to the car… :x

Should have just taken your shoes off lol.

I am ready for some cold and snow! Just wish it did not last as long as it does :frowning:

Take my shoes off? lol, this is Worcester we’re talking about :lol: god knows whats under that water…

I could do without snow and cold, my ideal situation would be fall temps in the winter and summer temps well…in the summer. I remember reading some article a while back on global warming that suggested that in about 50 years the climate in New England would shift to that of Virginia. I say bring it on! I could deal with warmer temps year round. I’m a rare type of person, one that likes high heat and humidity. :stuck_out_tongue:

OH jeeeze! Yea you will step on a needle and a spent shell casing lol.

ANOTHER tornado watch! This is our third this season! Ironically, I was looking at the weather data for this past season and we’ve actually had several confirmed tornadoes in the area but none of them occured on a day when there was a tornado watch. We’ll see what today brings! Interestingly enough, it appears that although the chance for tornadoes is there, the threat for t-storms isn’t! The instability in the atmosphere is so low, ther’e little if any change of any lightning, however because of the strong wind shear, there’s a chance that within any downpours/t-storms a rotation may develop.

P.S., my area JUST missed the cut, but we’re surrounded by counties that are in the watch, so I’m not ruling out anything yet.

While not in the “official” tornado watch area, severe weather is predicted here. I have my doubts though, the radar does not indicate much activity out there. Unless there is rapid development sometime soon, I just don’t see much happening. Maybe once the cold front gets closer…

We ended up getting nothing (as usual) and the watch that was supposed to go on until 6 PM was allowed to expire at 4 PM. Still some showers out there now, but we’re in the clearing process. I just can’t until this humidity to drops later tonight…

I really wish the humidity would stick around…all year! It will be getting more humid Thursday/Friday as that new tropical system comes marching through. Talking about maybe 6 inches of rain in some places, much needed :wink: although not all at once.