What alarm do you have at work/school

Two systems were recently installed/upgraded at my university.

The first update is related to <URL url="What alarm do you have at work/school - #693 by El_Chupacabra]this[/url] post from last year regarding the education building’s system. The building expansion recently opened and, to my surprise, has a mix of white wall-mount and ceiling-mount Genesis speaker/strobes. It’s quite odd to see voice-evac in one half of a building and horn/strobes in the other! Unsurprisingly, the pull stations are bilingual SIGA-270s (SIGC-270Bs). Unlike the smoke detectors that were installed last year in the original part of the building (older-style SIGA-PSs), the detectors in the new part are SIGA-PDs.

The second update is from the engineering building, which has a brand new EST3 system. The previous setup consisted of a Cerberus Pyrotronics MXL with bilingual Simplex T-bars (mainly first-generation models with metal handles) and CP-branded Amseco motor horns (most of which were mounted next to 4" Simplex bells behind grilles, as pictured below). The new setup consists of SIGC-270B pull stations mounted on large rectangular silver trim plates (which appear to function as adaptors to lower the stations’ mounting position) and a mix of white ceiling-mount and red wall-mount Genesis horn/strobes. The CP RCC annunciator in the main lobby has been replaced with an EST 3-LCDXL1. It’s not a particularly interesting setup, but I’m quite impressed by how neat the new installation looks. The custom trim plates for the pull stations have a lovely appearance, and there appears to be very little exposed conduit (and few surface-mounted devices). It’s a breath of fresh air in comparison with some other rushed-looking retrofits I’ve seen.

1 Like