What alarm do you have at work/school

I take it that you live in Canada then?

Yes

Since I applied for the CLC Technology Campus, everyone who applied was able to take a Field Trip there and get toured. This is what I can recall since coming back.

The system is a Silent Knight 5808. Most of the notification appliances are Gentex Commander 3 & 4s. Pull stations are Silent Knight SK-PULL-DAs and smoke detectors are Silent Knight SD505s. In the cafeteria and front offices, there are Gentex Commander 4 horn/strobes with strobes where there is needed. Classrooms function differently, and walking into a classroom row gives a hallway, typically populated with Com4 horn/strobes, but the classrooms themselves have Com4 strobes, with the occurring Com3 strobes too. Huge areas, for example the Automobile Welding room or the Firefighting room have multiple (3-5) Com3 horn/strobes, but the EMS rooms have one Com4 horn/strobe and one remote strobe.

Getting in the juicy stuff, the giant Auto Welding/Building/Fixing rooms have one Edwards Adaptahorn 874/875 series, don’t know what they are used for as there are Commanders under them, and the Automobile Fixing room has a Wheelock UTA-WH-VPS! :shock: (there is a phone under it). I’ve never seen either one of those before so that’s really cool! Alarms, pulls, and detectors all have bars over them for safety in these rooms too.

My school’s current system is almost all rebranded Gentex commander 3’s, 2 commander 4 strobes, and all are set on temporal medium volume with the exception of one I heard doing whoop one time. Also on the entire outside of the building are 6" Faraday bells, only two of which I’ve ever heard working, the rest literally have holes in them from rust. As for pull station’s I don’t really know, just a bunch of generic rebranded T-bars. That’s all.

My school has an EST3 panel that replaced an older Edwards panel from the early 90’s

Notification Appliances:
all Edwards 892-2Bs except EST Integrities in the Lecture Hall and in the back hallway that replaced broken 892-2Bs
Outdoor signals are EST Integrity’s (horn only) with one Wheelock 34t
Genesis remote strobe at the graphic annunciator in the main office and in the theater director’s office

Pull Stations:
Edwards GS branded SIGA-278s with Stopper Covers

Smokes:
unknown early 90’s Edwards addressable smoke - at the elevator and at fire doors
Addressable System Sensor smoke detector pair at the back wing fire doors
Edwards GS branded duct detectors with test stations

Future:
They are begginning to renovate the school - based on rennovations done at other schools in my district they will likely get a new EST 3 with white genesis ceiling mounted horn strobes and 270spos but they may also go simplex as I have seen Tyco workers inspecting the alarms in the building.

Simplex 4100U panel, Simplex TrueAlert horn strobes for most everywhere, and a few speakers doing a tone (no voice evac). Fire-ray bean detectors in the common area and Wheelock voice evac in the big gym.

This is my high school

Original main school building has an EST 3 system with a mix of integrity horns and horn strobes set to continuous. Pulls are 270-SPO’s as well as a few mircom ms-401 pulls replacing faulty 270-SPO’s. Smokes are older EST conventional photoelectric detectors (don’t know the model number). Also a couple system sensor i3’s replacing defective EST smokes. The add on portion of the school (completed in 2003/04) also has EST integrity horn and horn strobes as well as 270-SPO’s and early 2000’s smoke detectors. The school also has 8 portables and a separate manufacturing shop. 3 of the portables (built in 2000) Have Edwards 439D 6WAC bells while the other 5 (built in 1999) have EST mb6-24 motor bells that are apparently rare. All of which have 270-SPO’s. The manufacturing building has EST integrity horn strobes (no horns only) with newer 270-SPO’s.

P.S does anybody know what specific year the integrities that we all know and sometimes love come out? The original part of the school opened in 1997/98, so maybe around there? Correct me if I’m wrong :slight_smile:

I wanna say the Integrity came out around 1994 or 1995; the “pre-Integrity” came out a year or two before that. The Genesis was introduced in 2000.

I feel like this post should be in the “Make Up a System” topic rather than here.

OH MY GOD I POSTED THIS HERE? I’m so sorry. :lol: :lol: Yeah please get someone to delete that post becuase I’ll get that to the topic. I swore I put this sin make up a system though, IDK.

I kind of figured that it might have been made up when I tried to google the school and nothing came up. LOL

The Campanelli Stadium in Brockton MA, which is home to the Brockton Rox baseball team (which I am a part-time mascot performer for) had a fire alarm upgrade of sorts recently. The stadium was originally built in 2001-2002 with a Notifier AFP-100 system, with LCD-2X20 annunciators located in the office entrance vestibule and right in the office itself. The alarms are Wheelock AS horn/strobes installed in many places, even in restrooms, and they are LOUD. The pulls in the office area, the souvenir shop and the locker rooms and such are Notifier NBG-12LXs, and the smoke detectors are FSP-851s. In the concourse sections and the corridor below (i.e. to get to the dugouts, locker rooms and such) there are weatherproof NBG-12 pulls and a few Fire-Lite -branded BG-12s that are presumably replacing Notifier pulls that failed, along with some Chemtronics 601 heat sensors and at least one replacement System Sensor 5601 heat sensor.
During most of last year, the AFP-100 system was having numerous problems, and so last month they finally replaced it. The LCD 2X20 annunciators were also replaced with new Notifier FDU-80 annunciators. I haven’t seen the new panel yet, but I am pretty sure it’s a Notifier NFS-320 or something. Everything else is still the same, not surprisingly.

My college is building a new residence hall slated to open later this semester, as I was walking from where the shuttle dropped me off I peered into the windows and saw what looked like a Gentex Speaker/Strobe. The new hall most likely will be getting a Notifier or Silent Knight fire alarm system with voice evac, using Gentex Speaker/Strobes and Gentex Commander 3 Remote Strobes. The administration building (Beacon Hall) has a Silent Knight system with Wheelock Exceeder Horn/strobes and BG-12s.

Two systems were recently installed/upgraded at my university.

The first update is related to <URL url="What alarm do you have at work/school - #693 by El_Chupacabra]this[/url] post from last year regarding the education building’s system. The building expansion recently opened and, to my surprise, has a mix of white wall-mount and ceiling-mount Genesis speaker/strobes. It’s quite odd to see voice-evac in one half of a building and horn/strobes in the other! Unsurprisingly, the pull stations are bilingual SIGA-270s (SIGC-270Bs). Unlike the smoke detectors that were installed last year in the original part of the building (older-style SIGA-PSs), the detectors in the new part are SIGA-PDs.

The second update is from the engineering building, which has a brand new EST3 system. The previous setup consisted of a Cerberus Pyrotronics MXL with bilingual Simplex T-bars (mainly first-generation models with metal handles) and CP-branded Amseco motor horns (most of which were mounted next to 4" Simplex bells behind grilles, as pictured below). The new setup consists of SIGC-270B pull stations mounted on large rectangular silver trim plates (which appear to function as adaptors to lower the stations’ mounting position) and a mix of white ceiling-mount and red wall-mount Genesis horn/strobes. The CP RCC annunciator in the main lobby has been replaced with an EST 3-LCDXL1. It’s not a particularly interesting setup, but I’m quite impressed by how neat the new installation looks. The custom trim plates for the pull stations have a lovely appearance, and there appears to be very little exposed conduit (and few surface-mounted devices). It’s a breath of fresh air in comparison with some other rushed-looking retrofits I’ve seen.

1 Like

Here are some new fire alarm sightings I’ve seen at my school. (NO NEW ALARMS, ONLY CONSTRUCTION AT THE END)

[WEST BUILDING]:

We had these heart tests (EKG testing) two weeks ago, which in my opinion were extremely boring but thankfully they said that I had no issues sigh. Though the way to enter into the room was strange, as we had to go from the wrestling room (4 ZH ceiling horn/strobes) into one of the main meeting rooms. Once I opened the door, there was a (probably unplugged) Cerberus Pyrotronics S15-S strobe with a ZH-MC-CR horn/strobe above. Walking down the spiraling stairs brought me to another S15-S (with possibly another ceiling mount NA dunno if there was one), and then I was led to an unused hallway which has a Cerberus Pyrotronics MTL horn/strobe. After the tests, they closed off the other exit so I had to go back into the hallway. I approached another unused staircase with a Siemens U-MCS, but there was another door to the dance room with a Siemens U-MMT horn/strobe. I just walked down the stairs and chilled out.

[EAST BUILDING]:

Yesterday I walked down the second floor to get some lunch, and the women’s restroom door was propped open by a doorstopper for some reason. For a split second I saw a SIMPLEX TRUEALERT HORN/STROBE INSIDE THERE. This is so confusing because every single bathroom (either with TrueAlerts or 9105s) has a remote strobe. Even the men’s restroom on the same floor has a strobe. The worst part is that this bathroom is in the CONTINUOUS SECTION, which means that if that alarm goes off, it’s gonna go off in continuous. I really hope that the horn on that is disabled.

The school is renovating a section of the second floor, so I don’t know if theres gonna be Exceeders (LED3 or Xenon) but they tore down a large spare classroom with Two TrueAlert horn/strobes in it and covered the second door with wall. It might be finished after Spring Break.

Well, during the “spring” break at my college (I say “spring” in quotes due to the snowstorm that hit us during said break) they did some fire alarm testing and maintenance on the campus. The only change I noticed so far was in the mens’ locker room in the Field House building, where the original Simplex 4251-20 pull was replaced with a Fire-Lite BG-12 pull. Obviously the Simplex pull wasn’t working anymore. This is a lot like what happened in the Fine Arts building last October, except in that case they used a Notifier NBG-12L pull due to that building having an NFS2-640 system, while the Field House has a Fire-Lite MS-9600UDLS.

[quote="Gentex SPK4" post_id=79042 time=1518997441 user_id=3486]

My college is building a new residence hall slated to open later this semester, as I was walking from where the shuttle dropped me off I peered into the windows and saw what looked like a Gentex Speaker/Strobe. The new hall most likely will be getting a Notifier or Silent Knight fire alarm system with voice evac, using Gentex Speaker/Strobes and Gentex Commander 3 Remote Strobes. The administration building (Beacon Hall) has a Silent Knight system with Wheelock Exceeder Horn/strobes and BG-12s.

[/quote]

Edit to this - The system is a Notifier NFS-320 with a NFC50/100 FVCP. Signals are Gentex SSPKWLPR Speaker/Strobes (even in the bathrooms) with more than likely Gentex Commander 3 remote strobes. Pulls are Notifier NBG-12LXs. Smokes are Notifier FSP series, except in the suites themselves which have Intelliquad Smoke/CO detectors with sounder bases.

1 Like

Most places that have speaker/strobes also have them in the bathrooms because unlike horns, you wouldn’t be able to hear the message if there isn’t a device in there.

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=79721 time=1522268041 user_id=18]

Most places that have speaker/strobes also have them in the bathrooms because unlike horns, you wouldn’t be able to hear the message if there isn’t a device in there.

[/quote]

Not to mention, speakers tend to be quieter and less piercing than horns.

Anyway, the grocery store I worked at has a Bosch (likely addressable D7024) system, with Bosch/Sigcom pull stations, Exceder ceiling-mount horn-strobes, and Bosch duct detectors. The ceiling is much too tall for regular spot-type ones. I haven’t seen beam detectors, though there might be some there.

I don’t have a pick but my school has 4050’s and some generic Simplex Pulls (non-branded). I’ve never seen the panel, but there is a really weird red panel in the office that I think is the FACP. There’s no visible smokes. And the only other pulls are BG-12’s